F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Driving sunglasses
GetBMWParts

07-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #45
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Personally I haven't found a good set of "driving" glasses per say but I've been on the lookout. Dillon Optics was something I looked into, their matte finish caught my eye but I wanted to see if it changed the optics of the lens before investing $200+ on a pair.

I ended up finding these "matte reflective" lenses. On the cheap.
https://www.mariener.nl/en/product/m...er-sunglasses/

They have a lot of other glasses as well on the cheap, but long story short matte reflective is not worth buying unless you like how they look.

Right now, my Prada polarized are still my fave.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #46
Robotechnology
RDF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/JCW Clubman/Z4MC/STI

Well... it looks like the ones I bought in 2015 are no longer available:

RA Vision Gear titanium non polarized for $99 (bought it specifically for my 1st F80’s HUD)

Guess they were too priced too well and the company went out of business. Their video of dropping a watermelon with these sunglasses on out the window of an airplane to show their indestructibility is still up on youTube:

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #47
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Oakley

I use the Oakley Flak 2.0 XL Prizm Golf Sunglasses
with my m850i HUD and it works perfectly. great sunglasses, good fit, stays tight on my face with the convertible at high wind, and I can clearly see all the gauges and heads up display and the i7drive functions and speedometer etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #48
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Brioni and Chrome Hearts. Maui Jim also great for lower price point, still have my pair from 15 years ago going strong.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #49
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I did a lot of research to find a sunglass brand that makes an effort to use top quality materials and lens tech with more understated styling (i.e. no x-games bro-tastic stuff). And I've been disappointed by the fashion brand sunglasses that are highly priced, mostly all made by Luxxotica, and don't have the premium quality to go with the premium pricing.

On the advice of an acquaintance who's collected 100+ sunglasses, i went with this from Leisure Society

https://shop.leisure-society.com/pro...nt=33222939396

I got the silver-black variant and not the gold tortoise because...well i said i didn't want flashy. If I'm honest, the price is kind of insane and i don't know if i can justify it, but it's certainly the nicest pair of sunglasses I've ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 04:01 PM   #50
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I did a lot of research to find a sunglass brand that makes an effort to use top quality materials and lens tech with more understated styling (i.e. no x-games bro-tastic stuff). And I've been disappointed by the fashion brand sunglasses that are highly priced, mostly all made by Luxxotica, and don't have the premium quality to go with the premium pricing.

On the advice of an acquaintance who's collected 100+ sunglasses, i went with this from Leisure Society

https://shop.leisure-society.com/pro...nt=33222939396

I got the silver-black variant and not the gold tortoise because...well i said i didn't want flashy. If I'm honest, the price is kind of insane and i don't know if i can justify it, but it's certainly the nicest pair of sunglasses I've ever owned.
I thought my Persols were expensive....damn.

Oddly enough, these were my favorites https://shop.leisure-society.com/col...ducts/rudi-sun
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #51
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

7-11s
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #52
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
What are your favorite sunglasses? I have an oakley with polarized black glasses. Black Prism I think.
Really nice glasses and noticeable relaxing for the eyes. Especially on the water.
Still have it but due to the polarization I can't see the HUD with it.
So, in for new glasses and happy to see some inspiration and experiences with the HUD.
Because you mention polarized glasses.

Early in my track day classroom sessions, when I still had to attend them, I remember something that stuck with me.

Polarized sunglasses make it harder for you to notice fluids on track. Same applies for roads, but you would be going slower and in theory driving less at anger.

Just something to think about.

I say this, and roll around with polarized Oakleys as my go to driving sunglasses.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #53
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I rotate through Maui Jims, Serengetis and Ray Bans - depends on the day. All polarized.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:37 AM   #54
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Because you mention polarized glasses.

Early in my track day classroom sessions, when I still had to attend them, I remember something that stuck with me.

Polarized sunglasses make it harder for you to notice fluids on track. Same applies for roads, but you would be going slower and in theory driving less at anger.

Just something to think about.

I say this, and roll around with polarized Oakleys as my go to driving sunglasses.
In ‘THE PORSCHE PERFORMANCE DRIVING HANDBOOK’ Vic Elford writes how he’d never race with sunglasses on.
It does look as though 917 and 962 used a transparent visor or upper tinted windshield to use for moments when the sun was blinding - but I’m not certain.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #55
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

polarized

polarized doesn't work for the HUD. I've tried several different ones from many brands. however if you are stuck with polarized, turn your head sideways tilt left or right and often it will allow you to see the HUD briefly.

Oakley makes a non-polarized prism tint specially designed for road driving and biking. I've ordered a set and I'll let you know when it comes in.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 02:11 AM   #56
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Ordered a pair of serengetis with driving glasses, the gradient brown ones. But they didn't look good on my face.

Now I have Porsche design. First glasses which really look good on my face. Happy so far after 3500km.