F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Common courtesy at red lights
Extreme Powerhouse

07-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #45
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I grew up in Connecticut where one of the first highways was built (Merritt Parkway). There were laws (as there probably still are) requiring drivers to move to the right after passing and there were minimum speed laws as well. State troopers actually enforced them.

Of course, all was not good. Connecticut was also the first state to use unmarked police cruisers to catch speeders.

I was listening to a Talking Cars (consumer reports) podcast and they discussed left lane hogs and some efforts in some states to control it.

Middle lane hogs are also very common; not as bad as left lane hogs but it is usually an older Buick driver who doesn't want to deal with cars driving fast (left lane) or turning (right lane) so he cruises slowly in the middle lane. Combine the left lane hog with the middle lane hog and you have one unnecessary traffic jam.
There most certainly are laws that govern this, just rarely enforced I suppose since this is a daily occurence. I've gotten tickets for 10+ over but going 10 under in the fast lane, is no safer than 10+ over IMO. It causes traffic to constantly pass on the right, hitting brakes, accelerating, etc. Blocking left lane requires passing to occur only on the right, and that's known to be less safe. Here is my state (CA) code:
ARTICLE 1. Driving on Right Side [21650 - 21664] ( Article 1 enacted by Stats. 1959, Ch. 3. )

(a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(b) If a vehicle is being driven at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time, and is not being driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, it shall constitute prima facie evidence that the driver is operating the vehicle in violation of subdivision (a) of this section.
(c) The Department of Transportation, with respect to state highways, and local authorities, with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, may place and maintain upon highways official signs directing slow-moving traffic to use the right-hand traffic lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or preparing for a left turn.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 04:57 PM   #46
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Two lane road in each direction. Not a lot of traffic and I am first car and driving in the right lane. I will pull over, if there is room, to the left lane to leave room for cars wanting to make a right turn on red. It seems to be just basic courtesy. I am usually the first one away from a red light so no problem getting back to the right lane.

On the other hand, sometimes there is room for a car to go straight and another to make a right turn in the right lane. I always hug the left lane marker to leave room but it amazes me how many drivers stay in the middle of the lane and block the turn lane.

This is all part of the "me" attitude that seems to be spreading around the world.
Its one of those things thats 'nice to have' but not something to get pissy about, you can just wait 30 seconds

Ppl in the west need to learn a little patience too in life, we live minute to minute and want to maximize our enjoyment till every drop is squeezed out of the hours in the day, sometimes its good to just chill out
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #47
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Can't go right on red here. So everybody stays in the right and it's illegal to overtake on the right.
That must suck! Are you in quebec?
Appreciate 1
eluded2938.00
      07-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #48
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
I'm the same way. At my current 146 pounds, physically I'm not intimidating at all, but I too have the look of fire and brimstone slapped across my face. Ive been told that when I smile it looks forced and isn't genuine.
Lol
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13147.00
      07-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #49
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Its one of those things thats 'nice to have' but not something to get pissy about, you can just wait 30 seconds

Ppl in the west need to learn a little patience too in life, we live minute to minute and want to maximize our enjoyment till every drop is squeezed out of the hours in the day, sometimes its good to just chill out
Have you ever operated a vehicle in a Third World country? More often than not, traffic in such places is less than an order away from, if not pretty much at, full-on dog-eat-dog chaos. 'Chilling out' and/or having patience will either get you run over or stuck for hours in a traffic jam ... and lemme tell ya, the cacophony of horn usage in, say, Dehli, Lima or Panama City implies that those folks are decidedly NOT being patient.

Sorry, but this has little to do with being a Westerner. This has to do with selfishness and a lack of respect for those around you. That's a worldwide phenomenon.
Appreciate 3
arashir164.00
eluded2938.00
      07-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #50
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Have you ever operated a vehicle in a Third World country? More often than not, traffic in such places is less than an order away from, if not pretty much at, full-on dog-eat-dog chaos. 'Chilling out' and/or having patience will either get you run over or stuck for hours in a traffic jam ... and lemme tell ya, the cacophony of horn usage in, say, Dehli, Lima or Panama City implies that those folks are decidedly NOT being patient.

Sorry, but this has little to do with being a Westerner. This has to do with selfishness and a lack of respect for those around you. That's a worldwide phenomenon.
Yea but in those places they rarely follow street lights and evrything is kind of on its own pace there

You cant compare over there to western flow of traffic, i was just referring to the fact over here in suburbia, its no point to be all on a rush when the lights will turn in 30 sec

Im not sure why u feel the need to compare to asia, i was refering to like canada usa etc
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #51
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Yea but in those places they rarely follow street lights and evrything is kind of on its own pace there

You cant compare over there to western flow of traffic, i was just referring to the fact over here in suburbia, its no point to be all on a rush when the lights will turn in 30 sec

Im not sure why u feel the need to compare to asia, i was refering to like canada usa etc
You were the one who used the term 'in the west'. I took that to mean the Western world. If you were talking about western Canada, well, then you Canucks have more cultural and regional craziness going on than I was aware of. (This is coming from someone who owns land in, and thus visits, B.C. regularly, and who was in Montreal about two months ago. Not a stranger to the North ... )

See, the U.S. West is generally regarded to be more 'chill' than the U.S. East. I've found that largely to be the case in Canada, too, with a mild exception being the far northeast provinces: PEI, Nova, NFL. So I really don't know where your frame of reference is originating from.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #52
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
You were the one who used the term 'in the west'. I took that to mean the Western world. If you were talking about western Canada, well, then you Canucks have more cultural and regional craziness going on than I was aware of. (This is coming from someone who owns land in, and thus visits, B.C. regularly, and who was in Montreal about two months ago. Not a stranger to the North ... )

See, the U.S. West is generally regarded to be more 'chill' than the U.S. East. I've found that largely to be the case in Canada, too, with a mild exception being the far northeast provinces: PEI, Nova, NFL. So I really don't know where your frame of reference is originating from.
Im in ontario Canada, but i feel ppl are too rush rush in their lifestyle, like i said in my original post, its a nicety, but if it doenst happen its no big whoop

What part of my statement do you problem with, im pretty confused to what your point is?
Appreciate 0