F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Door dings from careless people next to you
Studio RSR

06-27-2019, 12:44 AM   #1
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Door dings from careless people next to you

So I drive a Mazda 3 for awhile and used to take good care of it but there's always some person next to you that opens the car and dings your door (I confess I did one time on someone's car too). And worst is when a large lady parks close and can't get out easily and inevitably dings your car

Well I'll be getting an x3 2019 in few months and more cautious then my Mazda and wondering do you guys park in regular parking lots or park real far. Parking real far seems it's a target too lol

If there is any gadgets or temp sing stoppers that aren't cheesy looking and good reviewed I like to know cause sometimes parking in tight spaces is only way

I just hate coming back to my car and seeing something that wasn't there before
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:54 AM   #2
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
No matter how far away you park, some low life will park next to you. I have about 4-5 door dings from asshats, one particularly recently at a safeway parking lot after i had washed my car, came to my car after doing some light groceries and found a big ol tiny pecker compensatin' 4x4 parked about a foot and a half away from my car, and a big ol' hole in the paint where the POS hit my car with his door. I waited for him so i could have an outlet to my anger... of course he shows up and denies hitting my car, legally i have no recourse as a parked car is not considered a moving violation which means no hit and run. I was so hoping he'd come at me with an attitude but he disappointed me.

Moral of the story, they will happen, be it jealousy\carelessness or what have you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Germanauto9652.00
clee1982796.00
      06-27-2019, 02:59 AM   #3
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Statistically, most vehicles will be driven by a single person without a passenger so you decrease your chances of getting dinged if their passenger door ends up along side you instead of their driver's door. Choose your space with this in mind.

Also, if you are only staying for a short time, you are better off parking next to someone (especially on their passenger side) because there is a good chance you will leave before them. This is better than leaving an empty space that is very likely to get filled up while you are away. That way, they shield you from ignorant parkers. Unless of course the person you park next to is an SUV that looks like it is hauling kids around. Never park next to them.

People get annoyed when they park their nice car miles away and inevitably someone parks next to them. I do this all the time. Reason...this guy cares about his car and there's no way he is going to door ding me. I feel the same way so he should be glad I park next to him, not annoyed. Mutual support.
Appreciate 4
shay2nak1070.00
clee1982796.00
      06-27-2019, 05:26 AM   #4
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Isn’t there some sort of aftermarket product you could put on the doors, like a bumper, so the bumper would get hit instead of your door?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 05:26 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

is this your first nice car? usually when you buy your first nice car the first thing you learn right away is parked way the ef over at the end of the parking lot! when you do it for years you get use to it becomes second nature
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 3
      06-27-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Are you crippled? Is someone in your house crippled, short of breath, etc.?

Yeah, i'm only kidding, but I can't walk, so use a light chair in my X1 s28i.

I have a handicap placard for rear view mirror, so I get to park in those areas that are very big, especially if you find the ones designed for vans.

I can twist car on that spot where nearly no one can get close.Also, I wait in car for wifey to shop, so I see trouble coming.

I don't know what it is, but some women just drive straight out and run over car behind them. They don't get the twist front of car thing to end up at 90 degree to parking spot.

Well, my wife is 70 year old Indonesian, and she did that to some one once. Why I drive HER CAR FOR US!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 06:00 AM   #7
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
It's inevitable. I go out of my way in search of the perfect spot. Usually an end spot with zebra stripes where I can straddle the stripes a bit and leave extra room for the jerk who parks next to me. Or the end spot next to a curb where I can get as close as possible also leaving more room for the jerk that feels compelled to park right next to me. I always park far away - I call it over the river and through the woods. I NEVER take two spots as that is an invitation for someone to screw with you.

All the above being said, it never fails. I will come out and someone will be right next to me and over the line. How hard is it to park between the lines?

The first ding is the most painful. After that, it sucks but you get used to it. I almost made 3 years without a ding on my 2013. Literally two days before lease return someone got me good. I went 8 months ding free on current ride, someone just got me a few weeks ago.

I went in for service on my 2005. The attendant checking me in was walking around it looking for damage to mark on his check list. I told him it was clean, go ahead and try to find something. He doubted me and walked around it 3 times and was amazed I was correct. The next day, I was parked on the street to pick up take out food and I hear a crash and an alarm sounding. I go out to find an overturned SUV and the entire driver's side of my car destroyed. I'll take the ding.
      06-27-2019, 06:19 AM   #8
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

^ You are so right...the first ding is the most difficult.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 07:24 AM   #9
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Before the 135i, my last car was a BRZ. One of the happiest days of my life, the day I finalized my divorce, I come out to see someone has door dinged the passenger door so hard it's down to the metal. And right on the crease as well. There is no opportunity to park in no man's land at the courthouse in Tulsa.

My car was like 6 months old with 8000 miles on it. It ended up costing me ~$450 to have it fixed.

With the 135i, I park as far as away from everything as possible.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      06-27-2019, 07:25 AM   #10
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Shake hands with a good body guy and try your best to park smartly.
      06-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

As everyone has said, it's inevitable. It's going to happen no matter where you park. If you park far away with empty spots all around you, some jackass will park 6 inches from you.

Two major scenarios here:
1.) Careless pieces of shit who care nothing about their own property or themselves sure as hell care nothing about yours or how hard you worked for it.
2.) Jealousy. Plain and simple. I've witnessed people doing it to other people's cars and to my own. No other reason than they can't afford it and this is how they make themselves feel better.

You have two options. Learn to live with it or become a careless piece of shit too.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Germanauto9652.00
      06-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yep, find a good PDR guy. I usually have them go over my cars every couple of years or address anything I don't want to look at right when it happens.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
rlmesq1038.50
      06-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #13
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

I try to park far away. First, walking is good exercise; and, try to avoid careless individuals.

That said, there are times when I park far away, and even if the lot is largely empty some ass will STILL park right next to me.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      06-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #14
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
I have a friend who owns one of the best PDR companies in the country, so I go to him when I can, but....

- Within 10 days of owning my E93, someone smacked the passenger door in my office parking lot. Didn't see it happen, but saw the dent when I came out at the end of the day. Unfortunately, it was right on the crease, so my buddy was able to minimize it, but not eliminate it. Was pretty grumpy.

- Within 2, yes 2 freaking days, someone smacked the passenger door of my new MINI and put a nice crease in the door. No idea where it happened, but think the grocery store. Got that pulled easily.

- So far, knock on wood, no one has smacked the door of the Ferrari. God rest their soul if they do.....
King Rudi13147.00
      06-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I make it a habit to park at the edge of the parking lot giving extra room for any careless twit and their mongrel offspring to kick out their doors.

As for as my pick up truck, it's big and tall enough that the running boards catch most of the assault.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2019, 11:54 AM   #16
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
As everyone has said, it's inevitable. It's going to happen no matter where you park. If you park far away with empty spots all around you, some jackass will park 6 inches from you.

Two major scenarios here:
1.) Careless pieces of shit who care nothing about their own property or themselves sure as hell care nothing about yours or how hard you worked for it.
2.) Jealousy. Plain and simple. I've witnessed people doing it to other people's cars and to my own. No other reason than they can't afford it and this is how they make themselves feel better.

You have two options. Learn to live with it or become a careless piece of shit too.
Yep. Much truth to this...
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
King Rudi13147.00
      06-27-2019, 12:29 PM   #17
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Park far far away and walk. Don't go to lots where you know people are carless or just don't care (Walmart, starbucks, most fast food places). But yeah if you live in a major city its going to happen no matter what you do. Someone is going to either ding your door or tap your bumper while parallel parking.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #18
mikesx4911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

Walking to my car one morning after I slept at someones house and saw this old lady open their trash door all the way open and let it slap into my car... I wanted to get so mad and yell but she looked like she was 90 and had no money. I just went to the range later and unloaded lol.

People who do this intentionally or don't pay attention need to be taken out back and shot! Nothing pisses me off more to see people's things get tossed and abused when I know it probably took them a while to save up to get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #19
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Yep, find a good PDR guy. I usually have them go over my cars every couple of years or address anything I don't want to look at right when it happens.

Emphasis on the good PDR guy. I just visited mine a week ago. He found another smaller ding that I overlooked and did it at the same time; he says you always notice the smaller ones after you get the bigger one, so he always does that. There is no trace of the dings (or any others that he has fixed for me in the past),

He was working on a Subaru STI that a competitor had "fixed." When the owner brought it in, it looked like the car had acne because there were so many small cobbling marks. Fortunately, he was able to make it look almost perfect.

Another customer said he "paid a guy in a parking lot" to remove a dent, and it looked like hell. My PDR guy had to tell him that the metal was too overworked and needed traditional body repair.

Moral of the story: You wouldn't let the squeegee man clean your windshield, so don't let him attempt PDR.
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      06-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #20
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

We once witnessed an older couple walking back to their lacquer black pristine 911 in a parking lot. At the same time, this Dodge Van parks right next it carrying a large family. The family starts exiting the van. Well, a boy in that family decided to sit on the hood of that pretty 911! His dad didn't say anything to his son, and just ignored it. Well, that older fellah comes marching right up! That older fella had some (very) choice words to say to the dad/son!

Some people out there just don't care about other people's nice cars.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      06-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #21
john4444
Rep
Drives: 1999 Crown Vic

When possible, I park away from the other cars at the most distant part of a lot. On two different occasions I have returned to my car to find another car parked next to it, one so close that I couldn't open the door. Both cars were occupied by women still talking on the phone. They must have pulled into the lot with their minds on blah-blah-blah-blah, noticed my car, and parked next to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #22
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
When possible, I park next to a curb, on the P/S, next to a nicer car than mine or one that looks like the owner cares and of course any car that doesn't looks like it has a child that will swing the door wide open.

Last edited by omasou; 06-27-2019 at 02:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
..Rush..973.50