F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > The absurdity of chasing the "latest and greatest" car on the market
GetBMWParts

07-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #67
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Yep! Married with a 4 year old. I drove my wife to the hospital in the 1M when she was delivering him drove him home from the hospital in it it's the only car he really knows!

It's our only family car. A small coupe has served us perfectly fine for a family of 3. Don't need or want much more. I think the 1-series backseat and trunk are very usable and great!
You also live in a major city with ample public transportation. I lived in Brooklyn for a bit and did perfectly fine with a 318is. I still work in the city every day.

You have an unfair advantage living in the city, meaning you probably do much less family driving than someone in the burbs. I have a long driveway and have to get to work (to the train) no matter what and don't want to snow blow the driveway at 430am. I just hop in my Jeep and drive out. I'll deal with the snow when I get home that evening. I couldn't do that in any of my previous sporty cars.

My wife actually commented a few weeks ago that she's surprised that I am not rabidly looking for my next car anymore and I think that's a reflection of how satisfied I am with my current vehicle. It just works for me right now as your 1M does for you. When time and space allow, I will get a fourth (fun) car to scratch my wrenching itch.
Pretty sure we would have the same scenario anywhere we lived. Sure we may have another car but can't imagine ever succumbing to the TV commercial idea of USA family car ownership, yknow? The "bigger is better" idea just never resonated with us in terms of cars or housing hence why we live here! Haha

What my post is referring to is more of a philosophical debate into why people feel the need to constantly be in search of new material goods instead of focusing on what they want and need be more satisfied.
      07-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #68
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Pretty sure we would have the same scenario anywhere we lived. Sure we may have another car but can't imagine ever succumbing to the TV commercial idea of USA family car ownership, yknow? The "bigger is better" idea just never resonated with us in terms of cars or housing hence why we live here! Haha

What my post is referring to is more of a philosophical debate into why people feel the need to constantly be in search of new material goods instead of focusing on what they want and need be more satisfied.
People just have different priorities. I enjoy privacy with room to breathe so I moved to a house on a couple of acres in the burbs. I say "burbs" but I live in a city as well.

How did the 1M work with a rear-facing car seat? I just don't see how anyone enjoyed that period. Having owned a 1er, I know the center seat is not an option. Did your wife sit behind you and you folded the front seat down?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #69
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
I've flipped between like 4-5 different cars in the last 4 years. gtr, f30, frs, 458, f80. I think if you play your cards right you can buy used, swap, and not lose a ton of money. Its kind of helped me find out more about what I like in a car and whats important to me.

I usually keep my weekend car 3-4 years. I just feel like by holding on to a car for 5 years+ I'm missing out on things. There's no denying chassis rigidity, brakes, lighting have all improved in the last few years. My 458 headlights are garbage compared to the LEDs on my F80 for instance.

If I had to hold onto a weekend sports car for 10+ years... that would mean i'd only get to swap between 4-5 different exotic/supercars in my entire life. life is short, and just way too many nice Porsches, lambos, Ferraris out there to stay stuck with one for so long.
See I can't really get an understanding of you wanting to do that. I can appreciate your enthusiasm for driving different cars but I have a very small list of cars i TRULY want and for me it's those or bust. I don't want things just because others love them I only want what I love and what fires my imagination.

Perhaps the difference between people like you and I is that I have very specific tastes and want to only try those and you like many things and want to try them all.
      07-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #70
duder13
Captain
Rep
Drives: Cashmere

Quote:
People just have different priorities. I enjoy privacy with room to breathe so I moved to a house on a couple of acres in the burbs. I say "burbs" but I live in a city as well.

How did the 1M work with a rear-facing car seat? I just don't see how anyone enjoyed that period. Having owned a 1er, I know the center seat is not an option. Did your wife sit behind you and you folded the front seat down?
You just gave me a hilarious 2013 flashback of my 5'9" wife sitting in the passenger seat of my 911 on road trips with my baby son in a car seat behind her. I'm not sure how I got away with that.

Ideally, the ideal situation is having a mate who doesn't care about cars. He/she can drive the SUV, leaving the fun cars for us.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:58 PM   #71
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah it was good! My wife wanted to sit in the back with the baby a lot so most of the time the seat was behind me and she sat in the passenger side rear. Later on we had put the carrier behind her seat (wife is 5'5"). Our kid outgrew the infant carrier in 8 months and we then had a convertible Diono with an angle adjuster that actually took less room rear facing than the carrier. It all worked out really well....we never had any child seat issues!
      07-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #72
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

This is something we apparently agree on, everso. I'm still DDing the '02 TT I've had since February 2003.
10"4935.50
      07-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #73
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

most of you are writing down legitimate reasons for switching cars. but i also wouldn't say that trading up to accommodate babies, gear, upgrade a level, or stay within warranty is really "chasing the latest and greatest". you're switching cars as your needs change.

what gets a little negative attention from me is the almost pathological need to change cars because something new is there, no matter if it's better or not. or trying to get the car no one else has predominantly for the attention you'll get for having it. or already being dissatisfied/looking around almost immediately after buying a new car.

i won't speak for what the OP was thinking when he posed the question, but the latter stuff is more of a concern to me than the former
Appreciate 1
10"4935.50
      07-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #74
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Wait.. what? There is something better than an E90?
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
10"4935.50
      07-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #75
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Had mine since 2012, honestly don't know what I'd replace it with that isn't 4-5x the value of it.

Anyone who thinks it's cheaper to buy a new car vs maintaining even an e9x m3 is kidding themselves. The depreciation of most cars in the first 2-3years would probably allow me to run my M3 for another 10years and track it too.
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16870.00
10"4935.50
Humdizzle6018.00
      07-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #76
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Agree w OP, this is just a more expensive 'faddish' hobby, like those that *must* have the latest iphone/android, etc. They don't really appreciate cars, at least that particular one, and just want the latest/greatest.

Some ppl don't understand the spirit of the OP: ofc one has to switch if needs changed or the car's beyond reasonable repair.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16870.00
10"4935.50
      07-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #77
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Why only own a handful of cars in your lifetime? I see no reason to stick with one car for a decade plus. You only live once. Not everyone is trading up. Many times I have gone back down to older models. Also switching brands from time to time. I personally only have two must have BMW’s that I would not sell, both of which are not yet attainable in the US. I enjoy changing up my garage every few years, researching and hunting for my next find(new or used). I can’t be the only one checking “bring a trailer” or “autotrader” daily.
Appreciate 4
      07-17-2019, 01:17 AM   #78
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Or just be like me and have a sports car, SUV , luxury coupe and a hand me down is250 for my kid.....and have no money in your bank acct at the end of the month....it's fun

Trust me

And yes, I still check bringatrailer and Autotrader daily.....lol
Appreciate 1
10"4935.50
      07-17-2019, 06:08 AM   #79
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Why only own a handful of cars in your lifetime? I see no reason to stick with one car for a decade plus. You only live once. Not everyone is trading up. Many times I have gone back down to older models. Also switching brands from time to time. I personally only have two must have BMW's that I would not sell, both of which are not yet attainable in the US. I enjoy changing up my garage every few years, researching and hunting for my next find(new or used). I can't be the only one checking "bring a trailer" or "autotrader" daily.
Quality over quantity, IMO.
Efthreeoh16870.00
      07-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #80
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherM4n View Post
This is something we apparently agree on, everso. I'm still DDing the '02 TT I've had since February 2003.
Wow. PM'ing you lol
      07-17-2019, 06:24 AM   #81
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
most of you are writing down legitimate reasons for switching cars. but i also wouldn't say that trading up to accommodate babies, gear, upgrade a level, or stay within warranty is really "chasing the latest and greatest". you're switching cars as your needs change.

what gets a little negative attention from me is the almost pathological need to change cars because something new is there, no matter if it's better or not. or trying to get the car no one else has predominantly for the attention you'll get for having it. or already being dissatisfied/looking around almost immediately after buying a new car.

i won't speak for what the OP was thinking when he posed the question, but the latter stuff is more of a concern to me than the former
Oh I agree if someone has triplets it's time to ditch the coupe....but the 2nd part of your post hits the nail on the head. It is like a pathological desire to switch cars that I see sometimes....
      07-17-2019, 06:25 AM   #82
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Unless you have piles of fuck you money, constantly trying to upgrade to the latest and greatest depreciating asset is financially retarded.
Appreciate 3
10"4935.50
tdott3924.50
Efthreeoh16870.00
      07-17-2019, 07:10 AM   #83
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Regardless of anyone's reasoning though, at the end of the day does it really even matter? Why does what anyone else is doing with their own life bother people?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:12 AM   #84
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
Regardless of anyone's reasoning though, at the end of the day does it really even matter? Why does what anyone else is doing with their own life bother people?
It's not a matter of being bothered this is a discussion about car culture. That's why forums exist right? Lol
Tacoma944.50
      07-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #85
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

I think a lot of people in this thread are putting cars on this weird pedestal.

At the end of the day they're just cars, and they all do a similar job. Not everyone has the same taste and not everyone has the same requirements.

Suggesting that someone isn't an enthusiast or is less of an enthusiast because they don't drive a car for ten years is kind of ridiculous.

Honestly, someone with a long car history is just as much or maybe more of an enthusiast. Are you sure you really like cars? Or do you just like YOUR car?
      07-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #86
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post

At the end of the day they're just cars, and they all do a similar job.
Spoken like a true NON-enthusiast. Well done.
      07-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #87
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
I mean. You can try to play gatekeeper all you want, but you're just wrong.

You aren't the Merriam Webster for all things automotive.
      07-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #88
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
It's not a matter of being bothered this is a discussion about car culture. That's why forums exist right? Lol
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
I mean. You can try to play gatekeeper all you want, but you're just wrong.

You aren't the Merriam Webster for all things automotive.
Case in point. If it's a discussion, why are you telling people they're wrong if they have a different opinion than you? This is obviously bothering you
Appreciate 2