F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Trunk is opening agressively... sometimes. Confused on parts to replace.
proTUNING Freaks

02-07-2024, 11:39 AM   #1
thehmmr
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 430i X

Trunk is opening agressively... sometimes. Confused on parts to replace.

Hey friends,

I have a 2019 BMW 430i X-Drive 2-Dr coupe and I’m running into an issue with my trunk. Frankly it’s not a big issue and more an OCD/super picky thing 😂

Basically anytime I hope the trunk for the first time in awhile, it seems to open slightly agressively. In particular, it kicks back/recoils when it reaches it’s full open state. When this happens, and I close it, then open it again, it seems to get a lot better.

I haven’t been able to find much as far as a diagnosis, but I have narrowed it down to having to replace both coil springs (#3 in the diagram before) OR the gas pressurized strut (#8 in the diagram below).

My question is; do I have to replace just the coils or just the strut or both?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

02-08-2024, 04:41 PM   #2
scubajim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F33

I would start with #3. There are also many companies that make good aftermarket options. I purchased my last set for my E39 from FCP for ~$10 each.
      02-09-2024, 08:37 AM   #3
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

gas struts are the likely thing to go wrong here, don't know how the tension spring can be broken.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 12:37 PM   #4
thehmmr
Canada
Rep

Very helpful, thank you both scubajim toxik
      02-09-2024, 05:51 PM   #5
andyb313
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 440i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehmmr View Post
Hey friends,

I have a 2019 BMW 430i X-Drive 2-Dr coupe and I’m running into an issue with my trunk. Frankly it’s not a big issue and more an OCD/super picky thing 😂

Basically anytime I hope the trunk for the first time in awhile, it seems to open slightly agressively. In particular, it kicks back/recoils when it reaches it’s full open state. When this happens, and I close it, then open it again, it seems to get a lot better.

I haven’t been able to find much as far as a diagnosis, but I have narrowed it down to having to replace both coil springs (#3 in the diagram before) OR the gas pressurized strut (#8 in the diagram below).

My question is; do I have to replace just the coils or just the strut or both?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!
I saw on a spoiler video that there is a spring adjustment you can change behind the lining so that when a spoiler etc is added that increases the weight , the boot can still open.

Could yours be on the wrong setting ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:52 AM   #6
thehmmr
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb313 View Post
I saw on a spoiler video that there is a spring adjustment you can change behind the lining so that when a spoiler etc is added that increases the weight , the boot can still open.

Could yours be on the wrong setting ?
Great question! I saw something similar and tested the 3 adjustment settings (for both springs), and unfortunately it did not fix the issue.