F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > General Election
ARMA SPEED
View Poll Results: Who will you vote for?
Conservative 80 46.78%
Labour 18 10.53%
Lib Dem 57 33.33%
Brexit Party 3 1.75%
Green 1 0.58%
Other 12 7.02%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

12-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #573
antjos1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyd View Post
Got shot down earlier in this thread for sharing my opinion that Boris would win a majority and that the general mood in the country was that the Brexit vote should be respected rather than reversed.

If people took the time to step away from social media, their own little bubbles and particularly the bubble of London to look at, and crucially listen to, the country as a whole this result was always clear.

Corbyn has always been unelectable. His followers shout the loudest but remain a minority. As for the Lib Dems it looks like Jo Swinson’s going to lose her seat. Their position of revoke turned off, rather than on, the country. They’re a footnote again.

Given that this was largely, but not solely, a Brexit election I think it also shows that if there had ever been a second referendum it would have only led to a leave win again.

He’s clearly hated by many on here so this won’t be a popular opinion but I actually think that, with a healthy majority, Boris will actually prove to be a good PM. He’s far from right wing, right of centre at best. What he does need to do is reach out to the new constituencies they’ve gained in the old Labour heartlands and turn the one nation Conservatism they speak of from words to a reality. No easy task but an essential one. Else they’ll all head back to Labour at the next election.

It also means we’re finally, finally going to leave the EU by the 31st January at the latest and we no longer have to listen to talk of second referendums and revoke. We’ve effectively had 3 votes on Brexit now. The referendum itself, the 2017 election and now this. Now we can finally move forward. Praise be!
Well said mate.
Appreciate 2
Scoobyd1954.50
      12-12-2019, 11:07 PM   #574
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
After a few hours of sleep I woke up early to catch up on all the news and I'm over the moon!

Unfortunately labour clung to a seat here (like shite on a shoe) it was close a few hundred votes.

I'm surprised Corbyn hasn't called for mass strikes/protests as a result. Glad to see the back of this w*nker.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 11:52 PM   #575
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Congrads to the conservative party, now get brexit done and let the german empire... i mean EU sink or swim on it own.
Appreciate 1
RustyBitz1573.50
      12-13-2019, 12:05 AM   #576
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

Good result to get this country moving again.. although not a supporter of Brexit let’s just get it done so we can all move forward with our lives.

Labour will need a massive cull and a rethink, the big picture numbers are bad but when you dig down into areas like mine they were never going to win but within that lost a huge amount of votes to Lib Dem..

Huge bounce in sterling is a good start to the day as well..
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 01:06 AM   #577
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Got shot down earlier in this thread for sharing my opinion that Boris would win a majority and that the general mood in the country was that the Brexit vote should be respected rather than reversed.

If people took the time to step away from social media, their own little bubbles and particularly the bubble of London to look at, and crucially listen to, the country as a whole this result was always clear.

Corbyn has always been unelectable. His followers shout the loudest but remain a minority. As for the Lib Dems it looks like Jo Swinson’s going to lose her seat. Their position of revoke turned off, rather than on, the country. They’re a footnote again.

Given that this was largely, but not solely, a Brexit election I think it also shows that if there had ever been a second referendum it would have only led to a leave win again.

He’s clearly hated by many on here so this won’t be a popular opinion but I actually think that, with a healthy majority, Boris will actually prove to be a good PM. He’s far from right wing, right of centre at best. What he does need to do is reach out to the new constituencies they’ve gained in the old Labour heartlands and turn the one nation Conservatism they speak of from words to a reality. No easy task but an essential one. Else they’ll all head back to Labour at the next election.

It also means we’re finally, finally going to leave the EU by the 31st January at the latest and we no longer have to listen to talk of second referendums and revoke. We’ve effectively had 3 votes on Brexit now. The referendum itself, the 2017 election and now this. Now we can finally move forward. Praise be!
I agree the result sends a clear message about Brexit, and I hope you are right about Boris changing tack based on getting a clear majority.

It's a pity much of the rest of your post is gloating and self-congratulatory. I don't recall many people providing predictions of any sort on here. What I read was a lot of people repelled by Boris as well as Corbyn, and sad that we have lost the centre ground and the ability to have respectful, truthful debate and politics since 2016. Those were not predictions, they were people's expressed political views. Mine haven't changed overnight but I accept the result and am hoping for the best.

Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 01:08 AM   #578
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Can't believe these snowflakes! I'm shocked friends supported hard left labour so much!
Attached Images

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 1
Craig-SM324.50
      12-13-2019, 01:32 AM   #579
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
Quote:

I agree the result sends a clear message about Brexit, and I hope you are right about Boris changing tack based on getting a clear majority.

It's a pity much of the rest of your post is gloating and self-congratulatory. I don't recall many people providing predictions of any sort on here. What I read was a lot of people repelled by Boris as well as Corbyn, and sad that we have lost the centre ground and the ability to have respectful, truthful debate and politics since 2016. Those were not predictions, they were people's expressed political views. Mine haven't changed overnight but I accept the result and am hoping for the best.
I will hold my hands up to a ridiculously optimistic early prediction, a plucked out of the air Lib Dem 60 seat one. Just before LD support collapsed as the campaign began.

I don't recall Scoobyd being hounded out though. It's known as healthy debate.

As you say, Marc, the main tone here has been one of exasperation at the lack of a real option that matches up largely with people's centrist beliefs.

I'm optimistic that Boris now has the opportunity to steer the tories back towards the centre and that the London Mayor in him will wish to do so. But I have recent form for being ridiculously and naively optimistic (I refer you to the first paragraph)

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
mcoops1757.00
      12-13-2019, 02:04 AM   #580
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Can we take a moment to thank Jeremy Corbyn, without whom this victory wouldn’t have been possible

Oh jeremy Corbyn.....

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 4
Wills28656.00
Craig-SM324.50
RustyBitz1573.50
      12-13-2019, 02:38 AM   #581
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I find it interesting just how little of Corbyn we have seen. After the referendum result I think David Cameron had come out and resigned by now, and I struggle to see how Corbyn can't have come out and really owned this result in its entirety yet. Except it seems exactly his brand of weak leadership and out of touch with the real world thinking.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 3
allachie91334.00
RustyBitz1573.50
      12-13-2019, 02:50 AM   #582
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Ian Lavery was just on the BBC, my God that man has the most annoying whining accent I've ever heard.
      12-13-2019, 02:50 AM   #583
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Great result. I'm very happy with the outcome.

Brilliant line from Boris this morning along the lines of "we'll be carbon neutral by 2050 and Corbyn neutral by Christmas".
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 7
mcoops1757.00
gr4z1135.00
JNW13122.00
RustyBitz1573.50
Mattyk591.00
      12-13-2019, 02:53 AM   #584
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Brilliant line from Boris this morning along the lines of "we'll be carbon neutral by 2050 and Corbyn neutral by Christmas".
Curses. He might a tosser but to be fair that's quite good.

Appreciate 2
      12-13-2019, 03:04 AM   #585
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post

Another good one was "let's get brexit done, but first let's get breakfast done". It's very easy to see Boris's appeal in comparison to the automaton May, never mind the Marxist grandpa.

Appreciate 2
mcoops1757.00
      12-13-2019, 03:07 AM   #586
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Thank f**k for that. I see the markets have reacted accordingly this morning!

Now Boris get on with everything else...lefty loonies can go sod off for a bit at least.
      12-13-2019, 03:07 AM   #587
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

It doesn't matter in the big scheme of things now, but as a post script I'm happy to report we did get the Lib Dem candidate elected where I live. On a purely local level, she's a much better fit for the views and values of people around here.

Appreciate 2
isleaiw18769.50
      12-13-2019, 03:07 AM   #588
shoestring
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 320D Sport Auto

Absolutely brilliant result!!!....Well done Boris!!
The amazing result totally proving that far too many people think, journalists particularly so, that what happens in London is a reflection of the mood of the country as a whole!....Perhaps that message has now finally got across!

...and thankfully this is now the end of that Marxist Corbyn!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:14 AM   #589
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Lots of angst from defeated labour MPs in former heartland seats. Would be interesting to review how loudly each of them spoke out against Corbyn and his cronies prior to losing their seats.

All also had the choice to do "a Chuka" but chose to stay with the party.

A footnote on my local seat - tory majority increased largely through labour losing ground. My vote contributed to a 3.3% rise in LD support, still a distant third. I'm happy that I chose the party closest to my beliefs. I wonder what I would have done if labour had been neck and neck in the polls. Suspect at that point i would have swallowed my pride and voted blue.

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:15 AM   #590
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

You are correct no further referendum/revoke chants, however, we now have 55 SNP MPs who will continue use every chance to bleat on about their Indyref2 bollocks(did the serial moaner Blackford get in?).
      12-13-2019, 03:18 AM   #591
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I'm also very happy with the outcome and equally much encouraged by the tone and content of what Boris Johnson has had to say this morning.

He seems to appreciate he's secured the support of many people who wouldn't normally consider voting Conservative and realises he needs to govern and deliver on behalf of those people and not just for those in his traditional heartland. The idea of him being an extremist was discussed earlier in the thread and, as I said then, I don't think he is. By nature I think a lot of his politics is actually more in tune with the One Nation Conservative Party and in practice I think (and hope) his policies will prove to be rather closer to the middle ground than many suspect and fear. Whether he walks the talk over the next 5 years is obviously another matter - and if he doesn't he will be judged accordingly at the next election - but the desire to move in the right direction seems to be there.

Obviously he's going to take us down a road with Brexit that many don't want to follow but for me that's been done to death and hopefully this election will finally put to bed the idea of having any more referendums/people's votes/validity checks on the subject. As Boris said this morning, the chap with the big hat with the stars on can now put a sock in it - amen to that!
Appreciate 3
isleaiw18769.50
Watsey6409.50
      12-13-2019, 03:22 AM   #592
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
It doesn't matter in the big scheme of things now, but as a post script I'm happy to report we did get the Lib Dem candidate elected where I live. On a purely local level, she's a much better fit for the views and values of people around here.
Chesterfield was a Brexit candidate away from being a Tory seat for the first time since 1935. Labour win from Conservatives by 2,000 votes. 4,500 voted Brexit. Bet the Conservative candidate is about as pissed off as it's possible to be.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 03:28 AM   #593
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Another good one was "let's get brexit done, but first let's get breakfast done". It's very easy to see Boris's appeal in comparison to the automaton May, never mind the Marxist grandpa.
Yes, although he has his faults - and let's face it who doesn't - Boris does have a certain appeal. That was evident even in the way he managed to get on with the other EU leaders at the summit back in October despite pushing the Leave timetable and agenda rather more forcefully than his predecessor...
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 03:29 AM   #594
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Chesterfield was a Brexit candidate away from being a Tory seat for the first time since 1935. Labour win from Conservatives by 2,000 votes. 4,500 voted Brexit. Bet the Conservative candidate is about as pissed off as it's possible to be.
I really do hope the Brexit party now just agree to go away. They have no mandate anymore and provide no benefit. Would be amusing for Boris to give the EU job to Farage for a while...