F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
Studio RSR

04-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY

Howdy Yall!

I wanted to start contributing to the forums for my (new to me) F32, like I did for my E46 M3.

This is the full device install DIY for the 10.25" BMW 3 Series 4 Series F30 F31 F32 F33 F34 F36 2013 - 2016 Android Multimedia Navigation System.

*FULL DISCLOSURE* - I have and continue to work with Avin directly, creating DIY guides and now installation videos. I do not work for Avin, but I work with the company and owner directly, and it has been an awesome experience!

I am still producing a written installation guide, as some find that more useful, instead of a video guide, and will have that posted as soon as it is complete. The video is my first attempt with this format, and already see several ways I can improve the presentation in future work.

I will also be posting a configuration and setup video as soon as it is ready, this is just for installation at this time, but the display really looks great, is a touch screen and has a iDrive 5-esque UI!

Here is the full installation video!
Avin USA 10.25 display DIY video

Here is the new review video with the display in place and configured!
Full review video!

I also have the full DIY guide created and available now, for those that don't want to follow a video:
Avin USA 10.25 display DIY Guide

Last edited by BMW DIY Guy; 04-23-2017 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 7
Zymon1.50
zinner559.00
Dziora0.00
daxtor19.00
oceanview207.00
      04-15-2017, 04:21 AM   #2
Jdmdc5teg06
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 328i

How do the mounts on this screen compare to that of the f15/f16 10.2" screen? I know for the F15/16 10.2" screen people have modified the dash, back housing of the screen etc..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #3
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmdc5teg06
How do the mounts on this screen compare to that of the f15/f16 10.2" screen? I know for the F15/16 10.2" screen people have modified the dash, back housing of the screen etc..
It mounts perfectly with no modification whatsoever. The screen size and back fits into the space perfectly.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 04:52 AM   #4
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

So i have the 8.8 inch pro nav system. 2014 model. So how would this work with my current system. Does it replace it???
Appreciate 1
AashC6.00
      04-16-2017, 05:21 AM   #5
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmdc5teg06 View Post
I would point out, after looking at the video, the screen is not the same one found in the repurposed X5 10.2" screen. That screen has the connector near the bottom where this Avin screen has the connector in the rear center, just as the 8.8" screen does.

Likewise, the sides, rears and bottom were redesigned so they would fit in the F3x opening without trimming anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
So i have the 8.8 inch pro nav system. 2014 model. So how would this work with my current system. Does it replace it???
The install video should explain it, but in essence, you are replacing your 8.8" screen. Actual components appear to be built into the new Screen.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Avin needs to make this 10.25" screen compatible with the NBT Evo APIX (MY2016 and above) protocol... that's all I'm saying.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 08:42 AM   #7
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

I get u r replacing the screen. What i dont get is how it works with the original set up, like the controlling of your phone, nav, setting, multimedia, sport displays etc. Like you controll everything through the screen with the buttons on the armrest and the userface looks a certain way. Is this like a new operating system that changes the way things look but you still have full control of every menu funtion . Ill just wait for a demo.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #8
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

You either get the Android skin with all their features and touchscreen capability, or you can select the OEM skin with all OEM features and displays and no touchscreen. Go to the Avin website and you will get the full description of the capability of this system.

For example, I do not care about the Android skin. I want the OEM skin with a fully integrated 10.25" screen replacing the puny OEM 8.8". I did that 10.25" swap in a MY2015 F30 NBT with a MY2015 F15 OEM screen and loved it. However, this Avin 10.25" or the F15 OEM 10.25" screens do not work with the NBT Evo so I cannot do the same swap in my upcoming MY2018 F80 with the 8.8" OEM screen.

Quote:
I get u r replacing the screen. What i dont get is how it works with the original set up, like the controlling of your phone, nav, setting, multimedia, sport displays etc. Like you controll everything through the screen with the buttons on the armrest and the userface looks a certain way. Is this like a new operating system that changes the way things look but you still have full control of every menu funtion . Ill just wait for a demo.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
I am working on posting a fully detailed review and walk through of the system, once I work out a few more setup items in the system. I really want to have a full review ready, when I consider that it is fully setup and ready.

In short, the iDrive dial works in the main screen to scroll and select items, and the your original UI interface is available through the "original car" tile and also through the radio tile. That will return you to your original UI and all of the other functions you are used to using.

My initial quick review? WOW what a better screen! Not just wider than my 8.8 screen but substantially sharper and more clear. If just for that alone it is a huge improvement!

Regarding the question of fit and finish.. it fits perfectly, and with the chrome accents around the AC and radio controls, the thin chrome bezel edge of the new screen suits perfectly.

I hope to have a few last details worked out asap, including running an accessory and USB extension to the glove box, and post a full review this week.

Lastly, I will also have a full document based DIY up ASAP, as some folks prefer that to watching a video. Any questions please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

So Avin replaced the OEM screen with their own touchscreen, and integrated an android pc into the screen as well? How does it interact with NBT?
      04-16-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
So Avin replaced the OEM screen with their own touchscreen, and integrated an android pc into the screen as well? How does it interact with NBT?
Correct, that it is an android system with full touch screen. The original car displays are available through two tiles (titled 'original car' and the radio) and they display as normal. So everything you had before is still available, and candidly looks much better with the new display, and then you have all of the other added functionality.
Appreciate 2
Zymon1.50
      04-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #12
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

I have a 2013 with business nav, will this screen work OK?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #13
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a803sgo View Post
I have a 2013 with business nav, will this screen work OK?
Well Avin notes that upgrade is for 2013 through 16, and I suspect you are good to go. I had/have the 8.8 screen with the NAV and other functions, and have no issues there. One advantage of this setup is that there is integrated NAV into the device, so updates from BMW wouldn't be needed anymore.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
a803sgo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M-SPORT (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raichean View Post
Well Avin notes that upgrade is for 2013 through 16, and I suspect you are good to go. I had/have the 8.8 screen with the NAV and other functions, and have no issues there. One advantage of this setup is that there is integrated NAV into the device, so updates from BMW wouldn't be needed anymore.
Thanks, any discounts available?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #15
Zymon
Rep
Drives: F30 316i

Some bugs in the system?

Quote:
Correct, that it is an android system with full touch screen. The original car displays are available through two tiles (titled 'original car' and the radio) and they display as normal. So everything you had before is still available, and candidly looks much better with the new display, and then you have all of the other added functionality.
Good day raichean. Thks for the video. I've successfully installed mine on my F30 316i.

Just 1 comment, 1 query and 1 sharing.

For the comment. Ref to the video, my 316i does not come with the optic cable as you have indicated in the video. I'm referring to the black and green wired cable that's needs to be plug into the new harness.

For the query. Not sure if you have the same issue as me. Whenever I go into video, music or some other apps, it will auto cut the FM radio channel I'm listening to. Upon existing to the home page, when I touch the screen on "original car" and "Radio", it will not bring me back to the last listened radio channel. Instead the former will lead me to the Bluetooth set up page and the latter will lead me to the AUX/USB page ; both via the original BMW Idrive. I need to exit by touching the screen and press either the "original car" or "Radio" again to have the last radio channel playing. Do you have this issue?

For the sharing. I noticed my video and music volume is extremely soft after the installation. Even when turning up to the max volume in the android settings, it has no use. No issue to the radio though. ( note if you do so by manually rotating the volume knob to turn up the volume for video/music, when you tune back to radio, it you will get a heart attack, due to the mismatch in the volume setting).To have the video/music volume in the android player playing a louder volume whenever I start a video or music, what I did was to( 1 time effort):

1) insert any 3.5mm jack( short one will do) into the AUX point found in the arm rest. Then have the free end coiled up( if too long--no use for the other end). Do this when car power is off! If you power on and insert, it will not work. at least for me.

2) Power up the car. Go to the original Idrive , go to the multimedia setting. Go under AUX, enter it and you can adjust the volume from there. Its between 0-20. I've set mine to 15. Bingo. Its registered and now the issue is resolved. Hope this help folks who encounter this issue.

By the way, has anyone successfully installed the backup camera for this Avin 1025 unit? I'm not successful despite following some instructions from Tommy.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2017, 10:40 PM   #16
Pr3dict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 340

does this work with the HUD?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:40 PM   #17
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymon View Post
Good day raichean. Thks for the video. I've successfully installed mine on my F30 316i.

Just 1 comment, 1 query and 1 sharing.

For the comment. Ref to the video, my 316i does not come with the optic cable as you have indicated in the video. I'm referring to the black and green wired cable that's needs to be plug into the new harness.

For the query. Not sure if you have the same issue as me. Whenever I go into video, music or some other apps, it will auto cut the FM radio channel I'm listening to. Upon existing to the home page, when I touch the screen on "original car" and "Radio", it will not bring me back to the last listened radio channel. Instead the former will lead me to the Bluetooth set up page and the latter will lead me to the AUX/USB page ; both via the original BMW Idrive. I need to exit by touching the screen and press either the "original car" or "Radio" again to have the last radio channel playing. Do you have this issue?

For the sharing. I noticed my video and music volume is extremely soft after the installation. Even when turning up to the max volume in the android settings, it has no use. No issue to the radio though. ( note if you do so by manually rotating the volume knob to turn up the volume for video/music, when you tune back to radio, it you will get a heart attack, due to the mismatch in the volume setting).To have the video/music volume in the android player playing a louder volume whenever I start a video or music, what I did was to( 1 time effort):

1) insert any 3.5mm jack( short one will do) into the AUX point found in the arm rest. Then have the free end coiled up( if too long--no use for the other end). Do this when car power is off! If you power on and insert, it will not work. at least for me.

2) Power up the car. Go to the original Idrive , go to the multimedia setting. Go under AUX, enter it and you can adjust the volume from there. Its between 0-20. I've set mine to 15. Bingo. Its registered and now the issue is resolved. Hope this help folks who encounter this issue.

By the way, has anyone successfully installed the backup camera for this Avin 1025 unit? I'm not successful despite following some instructions from Tommy.
Zymon, thanks for the info and I really appreciate it!

For the green and black optical cable: It maybe that some models don't have that style or type of connection, but it is the only setup I am familiar with, but your advice is dead on for those that don't have it.

Last radio channel - if I understand your description, I see similar but not exactly the same. If have the radio playing, then go to the new tiles, select video or music, yes the radio will cut out. To make it come back, I have to select Original Car or the radio tile. It DOES though for me go back the same channel it was playing before. Am I reading your question accurately?

Lastly, on the mismatched volume levels - yes, I see the same behavior and got the same information on how to resolve it. I haven't had a chance to do so yet, and hopefully will try it tomorrow.

For the backup camera, I haven't tried an aftermarket, as my F32 already has that plus radar which I can see (in better detail mind you with the new display!!!) so didn't install anything else. I am happy to help if I can, as I installed the backup camera into the Avin-2 and the E46 like 4 times. Talk about a gift to be able to see considering how blind the E46s are out the back, especially the verts.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2017, 10:42 PM   #18
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3dict View Post
does this work with the HUD?
I have the HUD as well in my car.. in what way? It doesn't send any of the new functions to the HUD if that is what you are asking?

Side note.. thought the HUD was a cool gadget, and now that I have it, I miss it when I drive without it!!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #19
Pr3dict
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 340

Quote:
I have the HUD as well in my car.. in what way? It doesn't send any of the new functions to the HUD if that is what you are asking?

Side note.. thought the HUD was a cool gadget, and now that I have it, I miss it when I drive without it!!
What I mean is, does it still send the stuff it did before. Music song/artist etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #20
Zymon
Rep
Drives: F30 316i

Quote:
Zymon, thanks for the info and I really appreciate it!

For the green and black optical cable: It maybe that some models don't have that style or type of connection, but it is the only setup I am familiar with, but your advice is dead on for those that don't have it.

Last radio channel - if I understand your description, I see similar but not exactly the same. If have the radio playing, then go to the new tiles, select video or music, yes the radio will cut out. To make it come back, I have to select Original Car or the radio tile. It DOES though for me go back the same channel it was playing before. Am I reading your question accurately?

Lastly, on the mismatched volume levels - yes, I see the same behavior and got the same information on how to resolve it. I haven't had a chance to do so yet, and hopefully will try it tomorrow.

For the backup camera, I haven't tried an aftermarket, as my F32 already has that plus radar which I can see (in better detail mind you with the new display!!!) so didn't install anything else. I am happy to help if I can, as I installed the backup camera into the Avin-2 and the E46 like 4 times. Talk about a gift to be able to see considering how blind the E46s are out the back, especially the verts.

Hi raichean.

You got it right. The sound will cut off. However, when I exit video/music and click the original car or radio tile. It does not bring me back to the last radio channel.

There were a few instances it does. However majority of the occasions it will route me to the external device( to aux) under the idrive if I choose radio tile or back to the bluetooth menu if I select original car tile.

I also noted another issue. After shifting reverse to park. I do at times get the *no signal* word. I just need to touch the screen and I'm back to the main screen with multiple tiles. Do you encounter that? I don't have a dvr. So if I select that tile, I will get the * no signal* . seems like some wrong routing to the tile. error

Last edited by Zymon; 04-18-2017 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #21
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3dict View Post
What I mean is, does it still send the stuff it did before. Music song/artist etc.
Great question, and the original display items will go to the HUD, but I do not believe any of the new functions will. That said, I haven't tested that (yet). I plan on having a full functionality review up as quickly as I can this week.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #22
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymon View Post
Hi raichean.

You got it right. The sound will cut off. However, when I exit video/music and click the original car or radio tile. It does not bring me back to the last radio channel.

There were a few instances it does. However majority of the occasions it will route me to the external device( to aux) under the idrive if I choose radio tile or back to the bluetooth menu if I select original car tile.

I also noted another issue. After shifting reverse to park. I do at times get the *no signal* word. I just need to touch the screen and I'm back to the main screen with multiple tiles. Do you encounter that? I don't have a dvr. So if I select that tile, I will get the * no signal* . seems like some wrong routing to the tile. error
Ok... I cant say I have seen either of those behaviors as of yet, though the second one my not apply as I have a manual transmission, so you might see something I don't.

I will keep an eye on it as well, though I would suggest checking with Tommy to make sure you have the latest OS/UI build as well. I got an update shortly after I got the device.
Appreciate 0