F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Amazon CF M Style Mirror Cap Review
ARMA SPEED

11-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #23
ktrvn
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F36GC_NYC View Post
well winter just arrived! i guess ill wait for next summer
Honestly I'm not sure how much the heat would help, but if you want I'd say give the credit card method a shot! Maybe I accidentally broke half of one of my clips because the squeegee is bigger and thicker.. and I also didn't care to be as careful because I wouldn't need my OEM caps anymore
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #24
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyletrann View Post
Honestly I'm not sure how much the heat would help, but if you want I'd say give the credit card method a shot! Maybe I accidentally broke half of one of my clips because the squeegee is bigger and thicker.. and I also didn't care to be as careful because I wouldn't need my OEM caps anymore
valid points.. will give it a shot, once i figure out which caps to buy and from where.

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #25
ktrvn
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
valid points.. will give it a shot, once i figure out which caps to buy and from where.

Good luck let us know how it goes as for the caps I'd recommend the one I posted in this thread!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #26
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good luck let us know how it goes as for the caps I'd recommend the one I posted in this thread!
understood, thank you.

a review i found from that seller, can you relate?

"The driver side cover fits right on and perfectly, I had to file for an exchange because the passenger side did not fit well, I received the exchange only to find out that the passenger cover fits the same way as the first one. I am a bit OCD and I like things to fit perfectly, I will let this one pass because these covers just make my car look soooooo sexy. Go ahead and make the purchase, just keep in mind that passenger side cover is a lil off, but they make up for how beautiful these will look in your car."
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #27
ktrvn
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
understood, thank you.

a review i found from that seller, can you relate?

"The driver side cover fits right on and perfectly, I had to file for an exchange because the passenger side did not fit well, I received the exchange only to find out that the passenger cover fits the same way as the first one. I am a bit OCD and I like things to fit perfectly, I will let this one pass because these covers just make my car look soooooo sexy. Go ahead and make the purchase, just keep in mind that passenger side cover is a lil off, but they make up for how beautiful these will look in your car."
I did not have this problem at all. Both sides fit perfect and snug. I also spray Mothers CMX Ceramic coat spray on the every other week ish to keep a protective layer over the carbon fiber.

As for longevity, I've had these since the end of September and live in Texas. The temperatures were pretty warm/hot when I first got them and it still seems to be doing okay. Will probably update when summer comes with daily 90-100 degree temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #28
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You don't need heat or a credit card. What works very well is a pair of plastic trim removal wedges. A pair, so you can apply pressure on opposite sides of the cover. What leads to broken clips is applying pressure to only one side.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #29
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did not have this problem at all. Both sides fit perfect and snug. I also spray Mothers CMX Ceramic coat spray on the every other week ish to keep a protective layer over the carbon fiber.

As for longevity, I've had these since the end of September and live in Texas. The temperatures were pretty warm/hot when I first got them and it still seems to be doing okay. Will probably update when summer comes with daily 90-100 degree temperatures.
alright, sounds good to me ty
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #30
RollinUpF30
Instagram-Rollin Up Detailing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

I’m going to have to order these! I got a cheap pair off of eBay and they just don’t cut it!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #31
ktrvn
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinUpF30 View Post
I’m going to have to order these! I got a cheap pair off of eBay and they just don’t cut it!
Same problem here. Got cheap eBay ones that were terrible. Returned them and got these and I haven't had any problems. Quality is also very nice!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:00 PM   #32
Flump
Private
Rep
Drives: 440xiGC, 135is

I'm curious about the longevity of these things. It looks like some of the reviews complain about fading/yellowing. I'm curious if I could just put some UV resistant clear on there and solve that problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:03 PM   #33
ktrvn
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flump View Post
I'm curious about the longevity of these things. It looks like some of the reviews complain about fading/yellowing. I'm curious if I could just put some UV resistant clear on there and solve that problem.
I use Mother's CMX Ceramic Pro spray about every 2-3 weeks. Carbon still looks fresh on mine after 3 ish months even though thats not that long.

There may be better sprays for UV protection or products but I haven't looked into it as much
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #34
Flump
Private
Rep
Drives: 440xiGC, 135is

Quote:
I use Mother's CMX Ceramic Pro spray about every 2-3 weeks. Carbon still looks fresh on mine after 3 ish months even though thats not that long.

There may be better sprays for UV protection or products but I haven't looked into it as much
I just skinned some door pull trim in carbon fiber, and am using Sp*****x 2K clearcoat as the top coat. It is 2 part "automotive" clear in a can. It's pretty expensive for a single rattle can (relatively), but it is surprisingly awesome stuff, and adds a layer of UV resistance.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #35
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I treated mine with Jescar Power Lock and 2 coats of Collinite 845. They look amazing. Hopefully they will stay that way
      11-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #36
Astute
PsyD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-sport

Garage List
Ordered these the other day. I had a problem with fitment on the passenger side, specifically near the bottom on the side closest to the car. In trying to fix the fitment issue, I ended up snapping a couple clips. So they're going back, and I guess I'll try it again. I went with taking the full mirror off too without having any problems in doing so. I had a little trouble with putting the driver's side mirror back in, but I ended up figuring it out after trying it a couple times.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:57 AM   #37
ktrvn
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Ordered these the other day. I had a problem with fitment on the passenger side, specifically near the bottom on the side closest to the car. In trying to fix the fitment issue, I ended up snapping a couple clips. So they're going back, and I guess I'll try it again. I went with taking the full mirror off too without having any problems in doing so. I had a little trouble with putting the driver's side mirror back in, but I ended up figuring it out after trying it a couple times.
Hopefully you'll get a better set this time around. Every car is a little different I guess or every product is also a little different lol. Let us know how second round goes!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 02:53 PM   #38
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You don't need heat or a credit card. What works very well is a pair of plastic trim removal wedges. A pair, so you can apply pressure on opposite sides of the cover. What leads to broken clips is applying pressure to only one side.
This works well also. I have to disagree on the heat though. Heating plastic makes it more malleable and less prone to breaking.
      12-03-2019, 12:23 AM   #39
Astute
PsyD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Hopefully you'll get a better set this time around. Every car is a little different I guess or every product is also a little different lol. Let us know how second round goes!
Yeah I got the second set yesterday. I'll wait til I can get the car in the garage and it's not so cold for me to try again. I'll post with update.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:02 AM   #40
lito
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92, F30

Quote:
So this is my second set of m style mirror caps I've ordered. First was from eBay for $50 and the carbon finish was terrible. However, this set from amazon was only $100 and the quality, finish, and fit is amazing! Honestly didn't see any flaws on it and the fit was 10/10. It was also packaged very well as you can see in the pictures. Bonus was that it is also prime so you can get it in 2 days

Here's the link to the mirror caps if you're interested:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pictures:

Can you post pic of the mirrors form the driver side point of view or inside of the car?
      01-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #41
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I have to disagree on the heat though. Heating plastic makes it more malleable and less prone to breaking.
True, but the clips are inside the cover, where you can't reach them to heat them. I would avoid trying to pop the old covers off in cold weather, and even in good weather have the car in the sun where it reaches the mirrors for a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #42
BradMacklin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lito View Post
Quote:
So this is my second set of m style mirror caps I've ordered. First was from eBay for $50 and the carbon finish was terrible. However, this set from amazon was only $100 and the quality, finish, and fit is amazing! Honestly didn't see any flaws on it and the fit was 10/10. It was also packaged very well as you can see in the pictures. Bonus was that it is also prime so you can get it in 2 days

Here's the link to the mirror caps if you're interested:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q75ZR51/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pictures:

Can you post pic of the mirrors form the driver side point of view or inside of the car?
Would also like to this see this angle is anyone can oblige
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #43
ktrvn
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Here's the inside view from the driver seat for those asking
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:36 AM   #44
BradMacklin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Thank you.....you may have just got them another order lol

I have the same color bmw as the OP, do you find the carbon sticks out against the mineral grey? I'm wondering how noticeable the carbon even is
Appreciate 0