F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW Dealers - Sold a car saying no marks or dents - But there was one
Studio RSR

12-10-2019, 02:35 PM   #23
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
He has a video of it before collection, and can see the dent in the video. So has proof the dent was there before collection.
Unfortunately that's not quite what the OP says later in the thread.

To be honest, I'm with Wills and Mashinbenzin, just forget about it and get on with enjoying the car.

I don't check cars properly either, at pick up, or after. I once bought an ex demo A6 and for my 18 month ownership thought it was in perfect nick, even advertised it as that when I sold it. The eventual buyer walked round and saw a bumper repair that had filled and resprayed about a third of the front bumper. Once I'd seen it I couldn't believe I'd never spotted it before.
Appreciate 3
Wills28656.00
GOWRIN110.50
      12-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #24
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

And the first little dink on any new car is annoying. I usually think about getting it repaired, and then I remember how all my cars end up, not exactly perfect, so I get over it.

Bit different, as I know not done by the OP, but it isn't much of a mark for a second hand car.
Appreciate 2
GOWRIN110.50
      12-11-2019, 02:29 AM   #25
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
He has a video of it before collection, and can see the dent in the video. So has proof the dent was there before collection.
Unfortunately that's not quite what the OP says later in the thread.

To be honest, I'm with Wills and Mashinbenzin, just forget about it and get on with enjoying the car.

I don't check cars properly either, at pick up, or after. I once bought an ex demo A6 and for my 18 month ownership thought it was in perfect nick, even advertised it as that when I sold it. The eventual buyer walked round and saw a bumper repair that had filled and resprayed about a third of the front bumper. Once I'd seen it I couldn't believe I'd never spotted it before.
This happened with my 440i. Always cleaned by hand myself and I thought it was perfect. Advertised it as no dents on any panels on tootle. The trade buyer inspecting it immediately pointed out about four dents from doors being opened into it. I couldn't believe that I had never noticed two of them, but I really hadn't. He didn't even try to bring the price down though, good fella.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
And the first little dink on any new car is annoying. I usually think about getting it repaired, and then I remember how all my cars end up, not exactly perfect, so I get over it.

Bit different, as I know not done by the OP, but it isn't much of a mark for a second hand car.
Yes. I've already whacked the mirror on the top of a multi-story barrier machine on exit (completely minor scratch on the bottom of the mirror) and rather distractedly scraped the front bumper on some sharp metal protection that Tesco had 'helpfully' wrapped around a concrete pillar. I was carefully watching the pillar on my 360 overhead view...

Will see if the likes of chips away can deal with the bumper, but not having it bodyshopped if they can't.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 2
GOWRIN110.50
Wills28656.00
      12-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #26
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWRIN View Post
The sales person... went on to say when they sell the car and it has a new bumper buyer might question it and think it had a front end crash etc.

Where do they find these people??? Tell him to get it fixed and if he's worried he can keep before and after photos for the benefit of future buyers
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #27
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Yes. I've already whacked the mirror on the top of a multi-story barrier machine on exit (completely minor scratch on the bottom of the mirror) and rather distractedly scraped the front bumper on some sharp metal protection that Tesco had 'helpfully' wrapped around a concrete pillar. I was carefully watching the pillar on my 360 overhead view...
I'm surprised you haven't had to get a harbour pilot's licence driving that boat...
      12-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #28
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Quote:
Oh ok.... They need to fix the bugger then!
Don't mean to be unsympathetic... But....

1. You say you can see the damage in the video sent prior to collection... Now you've looked at it more closely I presume?
2. You go collect the car without examining it properly.

You've had at least 2 opportunities to raise this before you took possession of the car. Your excuses for not doing so are pretty lame. Regardless of what you may or may not have been told, it's your responsibility to check thoroughly before driving off in it. Even more so if you've bought without seeing it first.

Why should the dealer offer anything? You've accepted the car, said nothing, then drove off in it.
      12-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #29
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Quote:
I'm surprised you haven't had to get a harbour pilot's licence driving that boat...
I think it's like a freighter alongside the low and sleek 7-series Ark Royal

Either of them should be able to summon up a flotilla of X3M harbour pilots when docking

Appreciate 1
Wills28656.00
      12-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #30
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Quote:
Quote:

1. You say you can see the damage in the video sent prior to collection... Now you've looked at it more closely I presume?

You've had at least 2 opportunities to raise this before you took possession of the car. Your excuses for not doing so are pretty lame. Regardless of what you may or may not have been told, it's your responsibility to check thoroughly before driving off in it. Even more so if you've bought without seeing it first.

Why should the dealer offer anything? You've accepted the car, said nothing, then drove off in it.
What happens when you DO mean to be unsympathetic?

Appreciate 4
t5pilot977.50
Wills28656.00
Yawn0755.00
      12-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #31
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Never assume BMW AUC means perfect condition, I've come across some shockers and repairs are rarely done to a like new standard.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #32
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What happens when you DO mean to be unsympathetic?
There was a "but"
      12-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #33
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Quote:

I’m kinda in the same place as this and a little confused by all of the opinions that the dealer should do anything. I always took used as being sold as seen....

Obviously there is the approved used element but that doesn’t mean that the car will be showroom fresh cosmetically.

Fair play if you get the dealer to do anything but I don’t really see why they need to do a thing

Last edited by AyrshireColin; 12-11-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:04 PM   #34
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrshireColin View Post
Quote:

I’m kinda in the same place as this and a little confused by all of the opinions that the dealer should do anything. I always took used as being sold as seen....

Obviously there is the approved used element but that doesn’t mean that the car will be showroom fresh cosmetically.

Fair play if you get the dealer to do anything but I don’t really see why they need to do a thing
Normally I would agree, but the OP says it was described as unmarked, in which case he's entitled to assume that it is.

If he can prove it was there when he picked it up I think he should dig his heels in. If he can't prove it, he's got no chance.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #35
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. Yet still he didn't check it on collection. Nothing was hidden & the OP went & collected the car. That was the time to raise any issues - Not a week after the event.
      12-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #36
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Normally I would agree, but the OP says it was described as unmarked, in which case he's entitled to assume that it is.

If he can prove it was there when he picked it up I think he should dig his heels in. If he can't prove it, he's got no chance.
No, he doesn't. He says he's been told it had a few chips - And there was no mention of dents in the description. That's entirely different to the OP asking, specifically, if it was dented, then being told, specifically, "no".
That's even more reason to look properly when collecting, surely?
Let's be right, it's easy to see in the photos, despite the dirt & wet. Upon dealership collection, dry & polished? No way was it looked at properly, that would stand out like a sore thumb.
      12-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #37
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No, he doesn't. He says he's been told it had a few chips - And there was no mention of dents in the description. That's entirely different to the OP asking, specifically, if it was dented, then being told, specifically, "no".
Let's be right, it's easy to see in the photos, despite the dirt & wet. Upon dealership collection, dry & polished? No way was it looked at properly, that would stand out like a sore thumb.
I take your point. All I'm saying is IF the car was misdescribed and the OP can prove it, he should hold firm. Otherwise, yep, caveat emptor.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #38
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I take your point. All I'm saying is IF the car was misdescribed and the OP can prove it, he should hold firm. Otherwise, yep, caveat emptor.
And i take your point too.
But we're not talking mail-order here, in which case I'd fully agree.
This is a car, which the OP has spent a lot of money on. He's been to a dealership & been presented with physical goods. That's the time to raise issues as regards obviously visible faults. Not a week later.
      12-11-2019, 10:44 PM   #39
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Doesn't matter.

I had a similar issue with mine that was also approved used.

Got told "you had chance to look at it" and all that shit as well. My main gripe was some shonky smart repair where the paint colour didn't match, which was not obvious on dull days, but stuck out like dogs balls in sunshine. Ended up quoting the BMW approved used page back to them, which says how the cars are "checked to meticulous standards by trained professionals" and asking who looked at mine as even my wife could see the problems. Also pointed out that you pay over the odds for an auc because its supposed to be checked by BMW, it shouldn't be down to you to go over the car with a fine tooth comb; particularly if the ad clearly said no dents or marks. It's not like you've spent £4k at a traders for a used Ford focus.

Skip the salesman, talk direct to the manager or even dealership MD.

You shouldn't need to get all shouty, just explain you only noticed it when you first cleaned the car. They should sort it out given you have photos etc.

I had the whole rear bumper removed and fully resprayed, a side parking sensor replaced, the valvetronic motor replaced and the entire dash stripped out to replace broken clips that caused an annoying rattle/squeak at certain ambient temps.

That was about a week after I'd got the car home. Repairs happened about 2 weeks later after the lengthy email chats with the dealership.

Last edited by Russbmw; 12-11-2019 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      12-12-2019, 01:28 AM   #40
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Surely your issue was different Russbmw. A shoddy repair that's effectively hidden by vehicle preparation, manifested as the initial shine of polish has receded. In that circumstance I'd fully agree with you.
But a clearly visible dent, with no attempt of repair, is completely different imo.
I'd put money on any written document in relation to the sale of this car, not stating it was dent-free specifically.
      12-12-2019, 04:10 AM   #41
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Surely your issue was different Russbmw. A shoddy repair that's effectively hidden by vehicle preparation, manifested as the initial shine of polish has receded. In that circumstance I'd fully agree with you.
But a clearly visible dent, with no attempt of repair, is completely different imo.
I'd put money on any written document in relation to the sale of this car, not stating it was dent-free specifically.
With any 2-bit car trader, I'd agree with you. Buying auc from a bmw dealership, no, they should sort that shit out, and not advertise it falsely.
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      12-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #42
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D XD

Thanks for all the replies, appreciate everyone's views on the situation.

Well I didn't leave it a week before raising it with the dealer, I saw it about 3/4 days later as I was cleaning the car as the weather has not been great and it was getting mucky. I send an email with the pictures etc but didn't get a reply until a weeks or so from the salesman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
Doesn't matter.

I had a similar issue with mine that was also approved used.

Got told "you had chance to look at it" and all that shit as well. My main gripe was some shonky smart repair where the paint colour didn't match, which was not obvious on dull days, but stuck out like dogs balls in sunshine. Ended up quoting the BMW approved used page back to them, which says how the cars are "checked to meticulous standards by trained professionals" and asking who looked at mine as even my wife could see the problems. Also pointed out that you pay over the odds for an auc because its supposed to be checked by BMW, it shouldn't be down to you to go over the car with a fine tooth comb; particularly if the ad clearly said no dents or marks. It's not like you've spent £4k at a traders for a used Ford focus.

Skip the salesman, talk direct to the manager or even dealership MD.

You shouldn't need to get all shouty, just explain you only noticed it when you first cleaned the car. They should sort it out given you have photos etc.

I had the whole rear bumper removed and fully resprayed, a side parking sensor replaced, the valvetronic motor replaced and the entire dash stripped out to replace broken clips that caused an annoying rattle/squeak at certain ambient temps.

That was about a week after I'd got the car home. Repairs happened about 2 weeks later after the lengthy email chats with the dealership.
I had a video from the dealer when I enquired about the car, and he goes around the car an mentions there are stone chips yes which I am not raising any issues. He then says all panels are straight, no dings or dents. I have this on video which BMW send via their portal. I did take a recording of this myself just in case they take it down and say now I have no proof what I was told.
I went to pick up the car a few days later, walked around it and it looked good, this damage is on the fold of the bumper so it is not so glaringly obvious. But I was sold it as not having marks and I have the salesman telling me this on a video which I thought was good enough to get them to repair it when I took their word and got finance based on that.
Yes maybe I should have taken a magnifying glass to check, I may do next time I buy one. Surely having them on video saying this and having proof it was there before I drove it away must be enough to get them to fix it or compensate me in some way or other.

I haven't shouted or anything at them, I have said I am disappointed in this as I was sold it with no dents but clearly there was.
I have opted for the paint protection too so when I questioned how this was missed when they done this, the salesman came up with his 'oh maybe they thought it was not worth fixing as it would mean spraying the whole front'. And then when asked why I was not told about it I was then told 'maybe they didn't notice'. So I just said can you just find out what you can do as something like that should have been seen as these cars are meant to go through a full examination from how you sell AUCs to customer.

But I will see how it goes and see what I get out of it and will let you all know. But please do share your experiences as they are very useful.
      12-12-2019, 06:12 AM   #43
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Quote:
This happened with my 440i. Always cleaned by hand myself and I thought it was perfect. Advertised it as no dents on any panels on tootle. The trade buyer inspecting it immediately pointed out about four dents from doors being opened into it. I couldn't believe that I had never noticed two of them, but I really hadn't. He didn't even try to bring the price down though, good fella.

Will see if the likes of chips away can deal with the bumper, but not having it bodyshopped if they can't.
Had a few touch ups with car wizard recently, did a decent job, give me a shout if you want to see their work
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #44
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

BMW Dealers - Sold a car saying no marks or dents - But there was one

Assuming the car was purchased as an AUC, so you have any pics from the website, from which you can identify the damage?

If you don't, the dealer should still have copies (in higher definition?) of the images stored somewhere. Make up a reason and ask for them.
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50