F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Blow Off Valve Questions
ARMA SPEED

09-27-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Question N20 Blow Off Valve Questions

So I ended up buying a GFB BV+ for my N20 328i, took me and my buddy about 2 hours to install it (very stressful). I do have to say it really does what it says, holds boost so much better, bumped up the throttle response so when I let off I can get back on almost instantly, and it is better quality.

I noticed even before I installed it, the first 5-10 seconds when I turn on the car and rev it I can hear my intake and turbo pretty loud. I love that it does that, however, it stops spooling and blowing off after 10 seconds or so of turning on the car, and after that, it won't spool and blow off in neutral or park. Only when there is a load can it build boost, I get that but why does it do it when I just start the car.

Now after I installed this instead of the 'pshhh' sound I get a really nice 'stututu' when I do the revving after starting it, I also get it when at high RPMs barely. I understand it is not "supposed" to happen and I know what it is but my question is how can I make it do what it does when I start the car happen even after that 10 seconds.

I basically want to know how to keep it spooling and blowing off in neutral like it does when I start the car.
      09-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander7599 View Post
So I ended up buying a GFB BV+ for my N20 328i, took me and my buddy about 2 hours to install it (very stressful). I do have to say it really does what it says, holds boost so much better, bumped up the throttle response so when I let off I can get back on almost instantly, and it is better quality.

I noticed even before I installed it, the first 5-10 seconds when I turn on the car and rev it I can hear my intake and turbo pretty loud. I love that it does that, however, it stops spooling and blowing off after 10 seconds or so of turning on the car, and after that, it won't spool and blow off in neutral or park. Only when there is a load can it build boost, I get that but why does it do it when I just start the car.

Now after I installed this instead of the 'pshhh' sound I get a really nice 'stututu' when I do the revving after starting it, I also get it when at high RPMs barely. I understand it is not "supposed" to happen and I know what it is but my question is how can I make it do what it does when I start the car happen even after that 10 seconds.

I basically want to know how to keep it spooling and blowing off in neutral like it does when I start the car.
It could be due to the cold start but otherwise, that's completely normal. As for the flutter, that's also normal on the DV+ and is not an issue as it's low pressure and there no negative effects from it. If you want to hear it, you'll just need to put the car under load, no other way around it.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Quote:

It could be due to the cold start but otherwise, that's completely normal. As for the flutter, that's also normal on the DV+ and is not an issue as it's low pressure and there no negative effects from it. If you want to hear it, you'll just need to put the car under load, no other way around it.
You know how evos and subarus rev in neutral and you can hear their turbos spool and flutter. How can they do it when theres no load?
      09-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You know how evos and subarus rev in neutral and you can hear their turbos spool and flutter. How can they do it when theres no load?
DME probably allows for it then. You could always sell the car and get one of those.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
DME probably allows for it then. You could always sell the car and get one of those.
Quote:
Quote:
Do you know of any info on how to tune that on my car? I have bootmod3
      10-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what the feasibility of that is or if it's possible. Is there a reason you want to push boost under no load?

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
alexander7599
Alexander Hartunian
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what the feasibility of that is or if it's possible. Is there a reason you want to push boost under no load?
Quote:
Quote:
Other than being able to make the turbo flutter sound no, it just sounds nice and only happens when I turn on the car and lasts for 5 seconds or so. So you'd think theres a way to make it do it more.
      10-01-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Other than being able to make the turbo flutter sound no, it just sounds nice and only happens when I turn on the car and lasts for 5 seconds or so. So you'd think theres a way to make it do it more.
I mean, maybe but you'd have to talk to a tuner about it and they'll require you to get a custom which isn't cheap.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #9
NathanM99
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Did you manage to find out how to make the turbo spool while not under load?
Appreciate 0