F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Fitment Question
GetBMWParts

03-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
beentrev
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Tire Fitment Question

Ordered some new wheels for my F32 (M-sport suspension with no plans to lower) and am researching the proper tires to pair with them.

Wheel fitments are: 19" x 8.5" 30 front and 19" x 9.5" 42 rear. Based on this guide, I was planning to run 235/40/19 front and 255/35/19 rear for a few reasons:
- Both front and rear are aligned at the low-end of the "ideal tire width" range
- Front gains some height vs. OEM, which I want, as the stock front wheel gap is larger than the rear wheel gap
- Rears are the same size as OEM, so no issues with the speedometer being out-of-sync

Want to confirm a couple things: 1) the wheel/tire widths + offsets won't rub on my M-sport suspension and 2) the increase in front tire size vs. OEM won't be an issue if I'm not sizing up the rears as well.

Open to comments/feedback. Thanks, all.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 01:33 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

your planned size combo set up is fine. while it may fill the gaps as stated, it's a reverse diameter stagger, 26.4"-26", so the front sidewall is 0.2" taller, making the front 0.2" higher than the rear.

personally i'd rather have the diameters(sidewalls) equal or with forward diameter stagger. also, the OEM speedo reads high from the factory, so running a slightly larger rear diameter would help to reduce the error a bit, if you care.

imo 235/40/19-265/35/19 is the best 19" combination if mildly or un-lowered. unfortunately there arent' many tire choices in this size combo.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
beentrev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
your planned size combo set up is fine. while it may fill the gaps as stated, it's a reverse diameter stagger, 26.4"-26", so the front sidewall is 0.2" taller, making the front 0.2" higher than the rear.

personally i'd rather have the diameters(sidewalls) equal or with forward diameter stagger. also, the OEM speedo reads high from the factory, so running a slightly larger rear diameter would help to reduce the error a bit, if you care.

imo 235/40/19-265/35/19 is the best 19" combination if mildly or un-lowered. unfortunately there arent' many tire choices in this size combo.
alohasurftoad, thanks for the input! The factory speedo bit is news to me. Learn something new here every day.

Curious on your point around equal or forward diameter stagger. Intuitively it makes sense, but what's the practical difference vs. a reverse stagger? I.e., how would it affect drivability?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentrev View Post
alohasurftoad, thanks for the input! The factory speedo bit is news to me. Learn something new here every day.

Curious on your point around equal or forward diameter stagger. Intuitively it makes sense, but what's the practical difference vs. a reverse stagger? I.e., how would it affect drivability?
it's basically aeshetics. example, an m2 has 245/35/19-265/35/19. turn in is sharper with less sidewall, however it compromises ride and protection relative to something taller.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 12:50 AM   #5
beentrev
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beentrev View Post

it's basically aeshetics. example, an m2 has 245/35/19-265/35/19. turn in is sharper with less sidewall, however it compromises ride and protection relative to something taller.
Helpful, thank you! No chance of rubbing? Seeing some mixed reviews on that front.
Appreciate 0