F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > 2015 428i with base model bumpers (lip & diffuser?)
proTUNING Freaks

03-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Cbuckalew89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

2015 428i with base model bumpers (lip & diffuser?)

I have a 2015 428i with base mode front and rear bumpers, looking for a decent front lip and rear diffuser (carbon if possible). Most lips and diffusers are for the m style bumpers. If you know of anything let me know!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
JDTX
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC Alpine White

Garage List
2016 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Don't know if it works, as I don't have it. But there's this one from eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Bumpe...UAAOSw0oBZwgVS

Longer term, it would be better to upgrade to M-Sport bumpers...
      03-16-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
Cbuckalew89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTX View Post

Quote:

Yeah looks like these are the only options. What about a more flat lip designed for a m sport bumper. Do you guys think it might fit with a little modification?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
Cbuckalew89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbuckalew89 View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah looks like these are the only options. What about a more flat lip designed for a m sport bumper. Do you guys think it might fit with a little modification?
I also found a picture of one
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #5
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
I was in the same predicament as you a few months back but it didn't make sense to modify or get the lip posted above.

The picture you found is if you are trying to run a large metal splitter upfront. Not sure what look you are going for your car but tbh, to give you more options for front lips as well as beef up the aggressiveness of the front end...picking up a used M-sport bumper or even one online (plenty of sellers offer these for sub $400) might be the best route. For me I did a M-sport front end conversion (parts and paint) on my car after picking up a used bumper for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #6
Cbuckalew89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _das_bae_ View Post
Quote:
I was in the same predicament as you a few months back but it didn't make sense to modify or get the lip posted above.

The picture you found is if you are trying to run a large metal splitter upfront. Not sure what look you are going for your car but tbh, to give you more options for front lips as well as beef up the aggressiveness of the front end...picking up a used M-sport bumper or even one online (plenty of sellers offer these for sub $400) might be the best route. For me I did a M-sport front end conversion (parts and paint) on my car after picking up a used bumper for cheap.
Yeah I think I'm going to have to do that. I really like this bumper but I might have to just suck it up for a nice lip
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 02:19 AM   #7
KingBates19
Rep
Drives: bmw

I actually did a 435 muffler on my 428, I have the stock body as well. I took my muffler to a muffler shop, told them to just cut a hole big enough for the exhaust tip to go in. Took it to my body shop guy and he cut the hole to match the other side. Then he came up a good idea to just paint/plasti dip/wrap the diffuser part! I decided to wrap mine. I'll attach the before to after progress. I personally think it turned out good!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #8
Omar.c
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 428i xdrive

Kingbates19, I have a 428i sportline as well and was thinking to do the exact same thing with my rear bumper. Looks great on yours. All I need to do is source a 435i muffler. I might also do a quad or square top to fill in the cutout. What exhaust shop did you go to and the Rough idea on cost? I'm located in the gta so I'm hoping it's local👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #9
KingBates19
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar.c View Post
Kingbates19, I have a 428i sportline as well and was thinking to do the exact same thing with my rear bumper. Looks great on yours. All I need to do is source a 435i muffler. I might also do a quad or square top to fill in the cutout. What exhaust shop did you go to and the Rough idea on cost? I'm located in the gta so I'm hoping it's local👍🏼
I went to mufflerman! They chargers 215 with tax, so it wasn't too bad! Paid 90 for the muffler. So wasn't too bad for everything!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
Omar.c
Private
Canada
Rep

Nice! I'll definitely look into this
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:34 PM   #11
Omar.c
Private
Canada
Rep

Quick update, sourced a muffler and I just made the cutout today. Gonna have the muffler installed tomorrow!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
Cbuckalew89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quick update, sourced a muffler and I just made the cutout today. Gonna have the muffler installed tomorrow!
How hard was it to do the cutout?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:59 PM   #13
Omar.c
Private
Canada
Rep

It was super easy!

What I did was use strips of tape and taped over the side with the exhaust tips. Started from the mould line and worked my way down. Lay one strip of tape over another and overlapped the tape in halves. Then I used an exacto and cut the opening.

I then peeled it off and stuck it on a thin peice of cardboard to make a template.

Then I cut it out and taped it to the opposite side and used a dremel. After the cut, I used the sanding bit to make it smooth. It came out perfectly symmetrical. It was my first time doing anything like this and it was worth it.

I attached the pic of the taping process. Then you wanna flip it over use it for the opposite side
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      04-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #14
Cbuckalew89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was super easy!

What I did was use strips of tape and taped over the side with the exhaust tips. Started from the mould line and worked my way down. Lay one strip of tape over another and overlapped the tape in halves. Then I used an exacto and cut the opening.

I then peeled it off and stuck it on a thin peice of cardboard to make a template.

Then I cut it out and taped it to the opposite side and used a dremel. After the cut, I used the sanding bit to make it smooth. It came out perfectly symmetrical. It was my first time doing anything like this and it was worth it.

I attached the pic of the taping process. Then you wanna flip it over use it for the opposite side
Awesome thanks for the tip! I plan on doing it this next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 10:04 PM   #15
Omar.c
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It was super easy!

Awesome thanks for the tip! I plan on doing it this next week.
Sweet. Post pics when it's done! I'll post mine tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 11:31 PM   #16
KingBates19
Rep

Quote:
Damn man! Turned out good!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 06:46 PM   #17
Omar.c
Private
Canada
Rep

Here's the finished product. It isn't going to be directly in the center due to the shape of the exhaust, but my mechanic got it as center as possible. I will also wrap the bottom part like kingbates19 did so it hides the minor gaps.

Overall, it was so worth it (exhaust was 100 and install was 150) and it sounds great in sport/sport+ and Imo, completes the rear end without getting the msport rear bumper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #18
KingBates19
Rep

Quote:
Here's the finished product. It isn't going to be directly in the center due to the shape of the exhaust, but my mechanic got it as center as possible. I will also wrap the bottom part like kingbates19 did so it hides the minor gaps.

Overall, it was so worth it (exhaust was 100 and install was 150) and it sounds great in sport/sport+ and Imo, completes the rear end without getting the msport rear bumper.
Turned out good man! Yeah even the muffler guy tried to line it up the best he can for mine as well! I would personally recommend wrap or plasti dip, just in case you try to sell it you can take it off! Did you just get the stock 435? Or the m performance? I was thinking of doing a resonator delete on mine in the summer!
Appreciate 1
Omar.c39.50
      04-13-2020, 08:54 PM   #19
Omar.c
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks man, your car inspired me to get it done!

It's the regular 435 muffler. I'm also gonna wrap the bottom peice to clean it up!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #20
KingBates19
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, your car inspired me to get it done!

It's the regular 435 muffler. I'm also gonna wrap the bottom peice to clean it up!
Of course man! Glad you liked it!!
Appreciate 1
Omar.c39.50
      04-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #21
Cbuckalew89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBates19 View Post
Quote:

Turned out good man! Yeah even the muffler guy tried to line it up the best he can for mine as well! I would personally recommend wrap or plasti dip, just in case you try to sell it you can take it off! Did you just get the stock 435? Or the m performance? I was thinking of doing a resonator delete on mine in the summer!
Is there a reason why you're doing the resonator rather than the muffler delete? I'm still a novice lol
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #22
KingBates19
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBates19 View Post
Quote:

Is there a reason why you're doing the resonator rather than the muffler delete? I'm still a novice lol
Honestly, there isn't really a reason why I'm doing one over the other.. I just YouTube the sounds of both and see what I like better!
Appreciate 0