F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Diy bavgruppe headlights tips?
GetBMWParts

03-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
lazyb0ne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435

Diy bavgruppe headlights tips?

Hi, hello. Recently, I have to courage to go through with the idea of doing a DIY blacking out my headlights and adding the Bavgruppe vision led rings instead of paying 1.4k for someone to do them. I was looking around their website and found some tutorial but there isn't much. So I want to ask if any of you guys have experience with this product and do you guys have tips for installing them? I'm more clueless about the wiring aspect. I have a 2016 435i xenon. Thanks!!

This is the one I was planning:
https://www.bavgruppedesign.com/prod...hts-only-5r9n8
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #2
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyb0ne View Post
Hi, hello. Recently, I have to courage to go through with the idea of doing a DIY blacking out my headlights and adding the Bavgruppe vision led rings instead of paying 1.4k for someone to do them. I was looking around their website and found some tutorial but there isn't much. So I want to ask if any of you guys have experience with this product and do you guys have tips for installing them? I'm more clueless about the wiring aspect. I have a 2016 435i xenon. Thanks!!

This is the one I was planning:
https://www.bavgruppedesign.com/prod...hts-only-5r9n8
I've installed their lights on E chassis cars before. Their quality is nice but there might be some modifications needed. The tools you will need are a dremel with different attachments, headlight sealer molding, and a nice fast drying glue like hobby glue (which comes with an activator spray). The other tools you will need are things like a heat gun, angled picks or a pry tool to cut through the headlight seal.

That being said if this is your first time ever opening up headlights, there is plenty of prep work needed as well as post work to make sure they seal back up correctly. If you are just swapping in White angels or switch backs this will alleviate I would say 10% of the overall work. RGB controllers for color-changing LEDs will bring other headaches of where to mount them and more wiring. Maybe find a buddy or someone who has done it before local to you to get some hands-on help. This is the type of project where you will either find out you are good with your hands or not, messing up is expensive if you get unnecessary moisture or damage any components.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
lazyb0ne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _das_bae_ View Post
I've installed their lights on E chassis cars before. Their quality is nice but there might be some modifications needed. The tools you will need are a dremel with different attachments, headlight sealer molding, and a nice fast drying glue like hobby glue (which comes with an activator spray). The other tools you will need are things like a heat gun, angled picks or a pry tool to cut through the headlight seal.

That being said if this is your first time ever opening up headlights, there is plenty of prep work needed as well as post work to make sure they seal back up correctly. If you are just swapping in White angels or switch backs this will alleviate I would say 10% of the overall work. RGB controllers for color-changing LEDs will bring other headaches of where to mount them and more wiring. Maybe find a buddy or someone who has done it before local to you to get some hands-on help. This is the type of project where you will either find out you are good with your hands or not, messing up is expensive if you get unnecessary moisture or damage any components.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks for the advice!! Well, I think I got most of the stuff. I don't have the fast drying glue. What is that used for?

I got the pry tools with the hook. Butyl sealer, oven cleaner for stripping chrome, duplicolor high heat paints and a heat gun.

I'm not doing rgb as that looks more complicated haha. I'm just more confused about the wiring. Was it simple when you were install them?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
_das_bae_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Thanks for the advice!! Well, I think I got most of the stuff. I don't have the fast drying glue. What is that used for?

I got the pry tools with the hook. Butyl sealer, oven cleaner for stripping chrome, duplicolor high heat paints and a heat gun.

I'm not doing rgb as that looks more complicated haha. I'm just more confused about the wiring. Was it simple when you were install them?
The fast drying glue will be for securing the rings in place on the inner trim of the headlight. The wiring is straight forward, it plugs right into the OEM pins for the same bulb...at least it did for E92. Otherwise you can tap in to the same wires and it is enough output.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
Chrisf36
Rep
Drives: BMW f36

Wiring is pretty straight forward just take your time and remember how things go you'll be alright 3m tape is holding my rings on
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
rcaso26331.00
psyki285.00
      04-14-2020, 02:47 AM   #6
lazyb0ne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisf36 View Post
Wiring is pretty straight forward just take your time and remember how things go you'll be alright 3m tape is holding my rings on
That looks so good. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. Is there any special instructions to plug in for the turn signal switchbacks?
Did you use the oven technique? Or the heat gun?
Technically, the whole setup is powered via the fuse cable right?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:28 AM   #7
Chrisf36
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That looks so good. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. Is there any special instructions to plug in for the turn signal switchbacks?
The turn signals are spliced into the factory wire on each side , I used a heat gun I felt I had more control of where I wanted the heat , by a pick tool it's going to do wonders but get a good one I snapped mine in half and well that was fun trying to get another one lol and for wiring I have the welcome lighting harness which i followed the instructions on the website for but if you do t have the welcome harness you just find a trigger wire and a negative
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 07:31 AM   #8
Chrisf36
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Also If you notice I don't have the dummy light anymore I did a little homemade fab work to get a lense inThere lol
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
greyf36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Grey F36

Chris you did a great job with the lights...
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2021, 12:51 PM   #10
lazyb0ne
Enlisted Member
Rep

Sorry for reviving the thread but I literally seriously started the headlight modification a week ago and I ran into a couple of issues. Any help is appreciated!

Everything is actually painted black, reassembled and the permaseal is cleaned off as best as I can except for the brows. I heard you have to dremel and mod them to fit the LED strip in, is that true?

For the wiring part, do I have to mod the rear circle panel to fit the wires through? How much of the whole wiring harness am I suppose to hide into the headlight?

For switchbacks do I need to solder the wire on or can I just wrap it around the turn signal pin?

Lastly, for the rings is there a specific way you stick it on? and what points do you put 3m tape on?

Thanks guys!! Sorry for bombarding with questions!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 02:03 PM   #11
ktownf30
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Sorry for reviving the thread but I literally seriously started the headlight modification a week ago and I ran into a couple of issues. Any help is appreciated!

Everything is actually painted black, reassembled and the permaseal is cleaned off as best as I can except for the brows. I heard you have to dremel and mod them to fit the LED strip in, is that true?

For the wiring part, do I have to mod the rear circle panel to fit the wires through? How much of the whole wiring harness am I suppose to hide into the headlight?

For switchbacks do I need to solder the wire on or can I just wrap it around the turn signal pin?

Lastly, for the rings is there a specific way you stick it on? and what points do you put 3m tape on?

Hey also reviving an old thread! do you solder the wire or how did you go about tapping in the switchback eyebrow? did you take a dremel to fit the eyebrow in or just 3m/glue it on? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 01:38 PM   #12
F30_m3
Rep
Drives: 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownf30 View Post
Quote:

Hey also reviving an old thread! do you solder the wire or how did you go about tapping in the switchback eyebrow? did you take a dremel to fit the eyebrow in or just 3m/glue it on? thanks!
I modded my own lights. For the eyebrows I dremeled the back of them out and fixed them In place with epoxy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 01:27 AM   #13
ktownf30
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_m3 View Post
I modded my own lights. For the eyebrows I dremeled the back of them out and fixed them In place with epoxy.
Looks incredible!

Were you able to get your fuse to sit flush and actually click in as a fuse normally would? After trimming, I cant get my fuse to sit flush. I also discovered I have a fuse on The second fuse from the bottom where everyone says to plug into, need to find another switched fuse that will work.

Also discovered my rings and eyebrow strip don't power on. I tried just tapping the positive & negative & pushing the fuse in without actually plugging in the headlight assembly to see if only the rings and eyebrow will light up and it didn't. No relay click or anything. Hopefully it's not faulty and it's just my error. Would assume the rings and strip to turn on automatically just from receiving power after plugging in the plug & play harness.
Appreciate 0