F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > US F30 OEM Adaptive Xenon Retrofit DIY
GetBMWParts

04-27-2019, 04:09 AM   #221
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

[QUOTE=kapkanimd;15328188]Please see the google doc link for the DIY for US spec F30 OEM adaptive Xenon retrofit. It is 90% complete and I work on it a little each day, but it is more than enough to get you started. I have this in my car for over a month now with no issues. I am still in the process of getting the auto level sensors to work, but should not be much longer.

Please use this thread to discuss this specific DIY and ask questions related to the DIY. If you need any clarification, picture adjustment, or more pictures please just ask.

Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
QUOTE]

WOW! That is absolute perfection, a man who loves his work. Seriously outstanding.
      08-29-2019, 10:38 PM   #222
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i / 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
Please see the google doc link for the DIY for US spec F30 OEM adaptive Xenon retrofit. It is 90% complete and I work on it a little each day, but it is more than enough to get you started. I have this in my car for over a month now with no issues. I am still in the process of getting the auto level sensors to work, but should not be much longer.

Please use this thread to discuss this specific DIY and ask questions related to the DIY. If you need any clarification, picture adjustment, or more pictures please just ask.

Here is the link:

Pics:

Before:

After:

Just wanted to say thanks for putting together this google doc.

I'm having my shop install Xenon's on my 2016 228i and this looks to be extremely helpful! They got the lights installed today, the turn on just as you describe and turn off as soon as the car is started. This will save them time and me money! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this

Fran
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #223
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrock3 View Post
Just thought I would throw a post on this thread to confirm that if you follow the google doc link on page 1 of this thread the install and coding for Xenon Adaptive lights works with no warnings or faults after. The only possible error in the document is the headlight part number ending in "51" should be "54." So, I bought two Xenon adaptive headlights from a junk yard for about $1400 and they ended in part number "54" and "53".

The other small parts I bought from BMW for about $40.

I didnt need part #12527503411.

I did the pre-wiring like the document said ahead of time and bought all the necessary tools from Amazon for about $250. I got two shops to quote about $400-$600 for the install but I decided to tackle myself.

I did the install myself and the headlights took about 3-4 hours (I do have prior experience in replacing my headlights though) and the wiring took about 2-3 hours. USR has a great youtube for their DEPO lights I used to see how to remove the bumper etc.

The FEM is easy to get to but I watched a youtube video by Kies Motorsports on a different install for "comfort access" that helped explain how to remove the trim. The two "H" connectors in the FEM are a pain in the rear to install so be patient.

Make sure you have new lower headlight grommets (Part # 63127280779). You need 4 and if you try and re-use your old ones it will make the install take much much longer, trust me.

I turned on my lights prior to coding and they came on (minus the halos) then shut off. I dont think its good to have them on prior to coding. I felt like I was going to break something so I turned them off until the coding. The coding in the google doc is correct as well.

I HIGHLY recommend Steve at Codemybimmer info@codemybimmer.ca

He remote coded my NBT retrofit and did this coding in like 20 mins.

My car now has adaptive xenons and the fog lights turn on in reverse and individually when turning corners! Its one of the best installs yet!

Keep in mind when you adjust the beams after the install you may have to check by putting the car in reverse because in park the driver light will pan to the left (which it should). So to get the both straight while being stopped you need to be in reverse I think. Might help to have someone in the car while you manually adjust the beam in the front. Kies motor has a great youtube on how to adjust your beams!

All in I spent less than $1500. I bought the headlights with everything already attached so I didnt buy part "C" though "G" individually (listed in the google doc).

I have a 2014 BMW F30 with factory halogens, US (left hand drive). My car was manufactured in December 2013. These are really great and I gave up my DEPOs for them (totally worth it).
They are that much better than the Depos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #224
thornfrog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328i xDrive sedan

I did undo the Adaptive light DIY but getting an error

Hi,

I just undo-ed the Adaptive light DIY and went back to original halogen light.
I'm sure I correctly undo all the wiring (headlight connectors and the fem body).

For the coding
1. I removed 522 and 524. Briefly, I deleted 522, 524 from the FA's SALAPA and hit 'Apply changes' then wrote FA & FP from the VCM Master tab.
2. I did VO code FEM_BODY. Right click the FEM_BODY and select code.
3. I checked the CAFD under the FEM_BODY so all the Adaptive related setting are set to 'disable'
4. Just to be sure I FDL_Code the CAFD.

The halogen lighting does work fine: DRL, low & high beam, parking lamps, fog lights are all functioning okay.

My problem is I'm getting an error on my dash saying
"Adaptive headlight malfunction."
Please help. How to get rid of this error?

Last edited by thornfrog; 09-17-2019 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #225
thornfrog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328i xDrive sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornfrog View Post
Hi,

I just undo-ed the Adaptive light DIY and went back to original halogen light.
I'm sure I correctly undo all the wiring (headlight connectors and the fem body).

For the coding
1. I removed 522 and 524. Briefly, I deleted 522, 524 from the FA's SALAPA and hit 'Apply changes' then wrote FA & FP from the VCM Master tab.
2. I did VO code FEM_BODY. Right click the FEM_BODY and select code.
3. I checked the CAFD under the FEM_BODY so all the Adaptive related setting are set to 'disable'
4. Just to be sure I FDL_Code the CAFD.

The halogen lighting does work fine: DRL, low & high beam, parking lamps, fog lights are all functioning okay.

My problem is I'm getting an error on my dash saying
"Adaptive headlight malfunction."
Please help. How to get rid of this error?
UPDATE:
I figured it out and fixed it.
I just had to disconnect the battery and wait 10 ~ 15 seconds.
The error's gone after I reconnect the battery.

PM me if you want to buy fully functioning, complete adaptive headlights

Last edited by thornfrog; 09-18-2019 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: added a missing info
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #226
Kingsweald1997
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i m sport

Halogen to Xenon headlights, f30

Is anyone able to provide an accurate cost for replacing standard halogen front light systems to the halo ring xenon systems on a f30 please?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #227
Cpatel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N26 328i

What kid of bulbs are you guys using?
I've read around and a lot of people are using HIDs but the install seems like a pain in the ass for projector headlights.
Would LEDs be any good?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #228
wings516
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 35ix & Turbo M3

I am having issues finding the passenger adaptive light63117259551. ECSTuning lists the adaptive BMW part number as 63117338708 which is common on ebay and the like.

Is there a difference between using these two part numbers? Are they the same?

DIY pdf says...
Driver - 63117259553
Passenger -63117259551

ECS Tuning says...
Driver - 63117338708
Passenger - 63117338707
Which are the OEM adaptive ZKW's

Last edited by wings516; 01-03-2020 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #229
wings516
Private
Rep

As an update I successfully completed this DIY sans auto-levelers. The newer model headlights fit just fine and work.

I do, however, still get the "adaptive headlight" error despite the instructions on coding. Has anyone else run into this? I'm wondering if this is also causing both of the headlights to shift their beams "outward" away from the car. Even after adjusting the horizontal screw, they are still pointed out.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:04 AM   #230
Passarela
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d

Hi,

newbie here.

Decided to check my cut off alignment with standard procedure by parking car in front of the wall, take measurements and drive straight back 25 feet. Car is factory fitted with adaptive bi-xenon headlights EU spec.

In short, passenger side focus (cut off step) is in same point no matter is car 10 inch or 25 feet from the wall while driver side focus is "escaping" to the left. Further from the wall, further the focus is to the left.

I cannot physically adjust lens any further to the right.

Electronic lens adjustment work 100% vertically and horizontally.

Is this OK setup for adaptive headlights?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:05 AM   #231
UrbanCarCulture
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Awesome post man
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:28 AM   #232
wings516
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passarela View Post
Hi,

newbie here.

Decided to check my cut off alignment with standard procedure by parking car in front of the wall, take measurements and drive straight back 25 feet. Car is factory fitted with adaptive bi-xenon headlights EU spec.

In short, passenger side focus (cut off step) is in same point no matter is car 10 inch or 25 feet from the wall while driver side focus is "escaping" to the left. Further from the wall, further the focus is to the left.

I cannot physically adjust lens any further to the right.

Electronic lens adjustment work 100% vertically and horizontally.

Is this OK setup for adaptive headlights?

Thanks!
I am having the same issue. I also cannot get rid of the "adaptive headlight error" code on the dash. Have you had any luck?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #233
ra66it
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

FEM Module

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapkanimd View Post
Please see the google doc link for the DIY for US spec F30 OEM adaptive Xenon retrofit. It is 90% complete and I work on it a little each day, but it is more than enough to get you started. I have this in my car for over a month now with no issues. I am still in the process of getting the auto level sensors to work, but should not be much longer.

Here is the link:

Pics:

Before:

After:

I have couple questions.
1. headlight wiring hardness part. steps 13 to 20. are you pulling the plug from halogen to xenon?

2. FEM module wiring. steps 35 to 39.
a. how do I know the pin numbers?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #234
seebz098
Rep
Drives: F20 Lci

Hey im trying to do this in the UK - im only doing it on one side to check first and the light still isnt working.

I have spliced wire 2 to connect another wire which leads into pin 4 and 7.
i have removed pin 6 and placed wire 9 in its place.

what do I do with wire 6? do i just leave it out of the plug?

I have done the wiring for the Fem.

The only thing that works is my indicators.

I have coded it up using esys but i am still getting faults and the lights still dont work.

Any Idea?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 07:43 AM   #235
wings516
Private
Rep

Followed this section here

But I am still getting

Anybody else run into this issue?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 03:45 AM   #236
Binno87
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Hi guys ..can someone help ? Iam doing halogen to xenon on my f30 and need information on how to complete this ..all other info i found has the adaptive am just wanting to do xenon retrofit .any help be much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #237
Gokzy
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D 2013 F30

Anyone know what diameter aftermarket angel eyes fit the f30 headlights? I don't want to change the whole headlight, just want to get the angel eye markers.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #238
TylersF30
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 328i

Does anyone think some of these steps could be reversed to fit a pre-LCI aftermarket headlight onto an LCI headlight that came stock with adaptive LEDS / xenons
Appreciate 0