F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Don't buy the S23 for photography
Studio RSR

01-16-2024, 11:01 AM   #45
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Forget camera specs/quality determing phone usage, yesterday with the Honor similar usage pattern and it was rocking just under 70% battery at midnight. The Fold whilst been fab from a user point of view but it cannot get any where close to that kind of battery life the Honor has even with power saving on!!

For days when am office based with access to a charger the Fold is fine, but for days when am traveling between multiple sites the difference in battery life is noticeable. Tomorrow is another busy day going from A to B to C, likewise for Thursday/Friday, might pop the sim back in Honor till end of the week!!!

Appreciate 2
winther11819.50
      01-16-2024, 12:25 PM   #46
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Forget camera specs/quality determing phone usage, yesterday with the Honor similar usage pattern and it was rocking just under 70% battery at midnight. The Fold whilst been fab from a user point of view but it cannot get any where close to that kind of battery life the Honor has even with power saving on!!

For days when am office based with access to a charger the Fold is fine, but for days when am traveling between multiple sites the difference in battery life is noticeable. Tomorrow is another busy day going from A to B to C, likewise for Thursday/Friday, might pop the sim back in Honor till end of the week!!!

wouldn’t you charge when going from place to place?

Sounds like it’s worth getting a second sim for the Honor though? My S23U is my self funded “work” phone, with a second sim added to my account. i find it really useful having two decent devices on tap all day long. With the variety between your two, i’m sure you’d benefit.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 02:07 PM   #47
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

I was surprised to see the Vixo X100Pro score on DXOMARK puts it just behind the Honor 5 Magic Pro.

Had go at another real life comparison with camera on the Fold 4. I’m not sure anyone can actually tell the difference with the main lens, even for a shot in really challenging conditions (dark, spot lighting)

Difference on the zoomed shot is more obvious, mainly because the Fold was a cropped in image off the main sensor. Still given the Fold 4 is using a pretty mid-range phone camera hardware compared to the Honor, for most people, I don’t think they will care/notice the difference in the shots produced unless in a really challenged lighting.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2024, 12:17 PM   #48
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Trees on the top right have lost a lot of details in the 2nd shot. Also bad lens flare control.

DXO is a joke. Their tests follow a rigid protocol that does not take into account the additional options of smartphones. All on default mode. Well - phones like the X90 pro+ requires you to use it's features to get the best results like using Sport mode to stop fast moving objects. Or Zeiss colour mode to get more natural colour results. DXO ignores stuff like that so it's pretty much a pointless exercise. And that's when you end up with a list that puts the iphone 13 pro above the Vivo
      01-24-2024, 01:48 AM   #49
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
DXO is a joke. Their tests follow a rigid protocol that does not take into account the additional options of smartphones. All on default mode.
I think some people call that benchmarking and standardisation .

Regardless the biggest difference between the Honor and the Fold for me in real life is battery life. By noon yesterday the Fold was down to 40% and I had to turn on powersaving/change usage. Battery life on the S23 is decent though I gather

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 10:46 AM   #50
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Its here...
Not sure I'll use the camera capabilities etc.
Previous contract was up so had to upgrade
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-27-2024, 03:25 PM   #51
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Its here...
Not sure I'll use the camera capabilities etc.
Previous contract was up so had to upgrade
I think Marques sums it up, unless you are trying to save ££££ why bother getting anything else.

The difference in camera quality between all these phones are so minor most people aren't going to notice or care. Samsung delivers the best Android user experience with One Ui, and given how easy claiming on warranty for my 18 months Fold was, their customer back up will be on a different level to any of the Chinese brands. Add in the constant threat of Google Play store bans, and frankly ridiculously flaky software on my Honor (needs regular restarts daily due to random slow downs), it really is a case of why wouldn't you buy a Samsung or Pixel these days.

Keeping the Honor because it cheap, and has a 2 day battery life. Will be upgrading to the Fold 6 come the summer, regardless of what camera spec differences get prompted this year.

Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      02-02-2024, 03:04 PM   #52
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Just a quick note to say that the s24 ultra is a quantum leap from my s22. I absolutely love it. It merges with wireless android auto better too. The spen and the display etc is just amazing.
I've always preferred my PC for work but this has changed it. Combination of spen and speech to text accuracy is spookily making my work life better.
Appreciate 2
winther11819.50
      02-04-2024, 10:12 AM   #53
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Add in the constant threat of Google Play store bans, and frankly ridiculously flaky software on my Honor
That must be a particular issue for the Honor, not Chinese phones in general.
There has never been a threat of a playstore ban on the Vivo, and the OS is amazing. Origin 4 was released for it recently and improved it further.
Contrary to many sceptics, Vivo has been great when it comes to updates and improvements. And remember, this is a phone that was not even meant for the global market - China exclusive.
I never took risks like this before but no regrets so far. Weapon of choice for car photography
Attached Images

danb19791897.00
KRS_SN13537.00
      02-07-2024, 04:35 AM   #54
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Back to using the Samsung as daily - the Fold folding form factor is so much better than a normal slab phone for me. Grabbed a quick shot whilst parked up waiting for the school gates to open at drop off.

I think you can tell the difference between the what the two phones can do in challenging shots. Its marginal, and I wonder how many non-camera geeks would notice or care.

So I'll be sticking to the Fold for my daily use, and the Honor will come out with me when more interesting photo opportunities present - holidays etc. Equally if I wasn't bothered about the form factor, I would probably just get a S24U still

Appreciate 0