F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2017 328d Fuel System Replacement
proTUNING Freaks

02-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #23
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jram328d View Post
I think we all roll the dice after our warranties end. I'm at 110k miles and am hopeful it doesn't bite me. Chances are it'll be the transfer case or fuel system that'll go!
This fuel system issue is absurd though. How does one insure they do not get bad diesel with just a little water in it that causes complete destruction of a weak high pressure fuel pump that destroys the entire system.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #24
Jram328d
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
Quote:
I think we all roll the dice after our warranties end. I'm at 110k miles and am hopeful it doesn't bite me. Chances are it'll be the transfer case or fuel system that'll go!
This fuel system issue is absurd though. How does one insure they do not get bad diesel with just a little water in it that causes complete destruction of a weak high pressure fuel pump that destroys the entire system.
Has anyone else gotten the HPFP replacement quoted out at the dealer? I couldn't believe the price for the pump that I got quoted. Around $1500. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #25
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone else gotten the HPFP replacement quoted out at the dealer? I couldn't believe the price for the pump that I got quoted. Around $1500. Thanks
The high pressure fuel pump is cheap, relatively. It is also under extended warranty so it should be free replacement from your dealer if it failed. The issue is when it does fail they replace every single bit of your fuel system to get any metal contamination from your destroyed HPFP out since the system is a return style. That repair is to the tune of 10k or so....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #26
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
The high pressure fuel pump is cheap, relatively. It is also under extended warranty so it should be free replacement from your dealer if it failed. The issue is when it does fail they replace every single bit of your fuel system to get any metal contamination from your destroyed HPFP out since the system is a return style. That repair is to the tune of 10k or so....
So you have to wait for it to fail for it to be replaced under warranty?

So essentially you get $1500 off your $10000 bill?

Warranty seems kinda pointless if it will take out your entire fuel system if it fails
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 07:46 PM   #27
Jram328d
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. I'm just doing some preventative maintenance on this and replacing it before the 120k life expectancy. $1500 for piece of mind and an unlimited mileage warranty for 2 years seems worth it. Wish someone would come up with an in-line filter for these BMW diesel HPFP's like they did on VW TDI's. Problem solved. May the odds be in everyone's favor.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #28
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
So you have to wait for it to fail for it to be replaced under warranty?

So essentially you get $1500 off your $10000 bill?

Warranty seems kinda pointless if it will take out your entire fuel system if it fails
No BMW covered full replacement on my car. No cost at my end. Very pleased with their service.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:41 AM   #29
cipolz
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i 5 speed

Got mine back today.
Complete fuel system replaced, no cost to me.
Would’ve been around $12k...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #30
lagwag0n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2104 BMW 328d (F30)

I know this thread is old but I had this issue last week. BMW extended the fuel system warranty because this happens a lot. Was 100% Free on a CPO 14 328d with 87k miles. Very happy that I didn't have to pay the full 12k price.

BTW: Time frame was 1 week and they provided a loaner.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #31
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagwag0n View Post
I know this thread is old but I had this issue last week. BMW extended the fuel system warranty because this happens a lot. Was 100% Free on a CPO 14 328d with 87k miles. Very happy that I didn't have to pay the full 12k price.

BTW: Time frame was 1 week and they provided a loaner.
Congrats! Glad to hear you were taken care of as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 12:34 AM   #32
cipolz
Rep

Here we go again... it’s hard to believe it but apparently it just happened to me again. It’s only been 6 months and the friggin wagon left me stranded in the middle of the road again. I’m pretty sure it’s the same hpfp. I’ll find out more tomorrow, getting towed in tonight.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:36 AM   #33
JimKden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

I read an article in my July 2019 Amsoil dealer magazine written by their head of R&D that discussed accelerated wear and failures of diesel fuel pumps as a result of the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel (ULSDF) mandated by the EPA since 2008. The article pointed out a Bosch pump used in the Duramax engines used by GM It also said that when the pump fails, it fails in catastrophic fashion and contaminates the entire system with metal particles. The problem is also in the May 2019 issue of Diesel Power Magazine.
ULSDF specifications contain a lubricity test for anti-wear properties (ASTM D6079). This test produces a wear scar on the test specimens where the spec limits are 520 micro meters diameter. Amsoil sampled fuel from 9 states and 5 of the nine scarred out of spec (greater than 520). The Engine Manufacturers Association would like fuels that test out with to no more than 460 micro meters. One sample tested was at 484 micro meters scar. The rest were over 500 micro meters.
Diesel fuel conditioners can help the lubricity. Amsoil reported that the results of treatment to these fuels reduced the scar that ranged from 327 to 389 micro meters all below the EMA's preferred limit of 460 micro meters.
A conditioner might be helpfull.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #34
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipolz View Post
Here we go again... it’s hard to believe it but apparently it just happened to me again. It’s only been 6 months and the friggin wagon left me stranded in the middle of the road again. I’m pretty sure it’s the same hpfp. I’ll find out more tomorrow, getting towed in tonight.
That is hard to believe. Wow, almost makes me wonder if your issue is fuel quality related. Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #35
cipolz
Rep

Finally talked to my service advisor. He’s pretty sure it’s the same issue, but said they couldn’t confirm the diagnosis until Tuesday though since they needed to run further testing. If correct this would be only the second time that they’ve seen a repeat failure... and that I would have a strong case with Bmw for a lemon claim considering how long these repairs take. We’ll see, what’s certain is that I’ll be driving a loaner for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #36
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKden View Post
I read an article in my July 2019 Amsoil dealer magazine written by their head of R&D that discussed accelerated wear and failures of diesel fuel pumps as a result of the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel Fuel (ULSDF) mandated by the EPA since 2008. The article pointed out a Bosch pump used in the Duramax engines used by GM It also said that when the pump fails, it fails in catastrophic fashion and contaminates the entire system with metal particles. The problem is also in the May 2019 issue of Diesel Power Magazine.
ULSDF specifications contain a lubricity test for anti-wear properties (ASTM D6079). This test produces a wear scar on the test specimens where the spec limits are 520 micro meters diameter. Amsoil sampled fuel from 9 states and 5 of the nine scarred out of spec (greater than 520). The Engine Manufacturers Association would like fuels that test out with to no more than 460 micro meters. One sample tested was at 484 micro meters scar. The rest were over 500 micro meters.
Diesel fuel conditioners can help the lubricity. Amsoil reported that the results of treatment to these fuels reduced the scar that ranged from 327 to 389 micro meters all below the EMA's preferred limit of 460 micro meters.
A conditioner might be helpfull.
Reminds me of an old study. Since Bosch apparently can't engineer a durable HPFP for current light-duty diesel vehicles here's what I did when I owned a BMW diesel.

#1 Buy in bulk (gallon/liters) quantities a broad spectrum (Cetane, lubricity, detergent) additive. You'll save a lot of money because you can buy additive with a dosing rate of somewhere around 5oz per tank rather than the 16-20oz which is commonly found at retail stores.

#2 Buy a plastic carboy with a peacock spout to dispense the additive. I bought mine at Grainger. Don't forget a funnel to fill it.

#3 Buy a small glass bottle which you can fill with additive (opening large enough to fit around the spout on the carboy and fit, at least partially, inside the filler neck for your fuel tank.
The Asian section in a grocery store has bottles which work nicely. Place a fill mark on the bottle.

The whole idea is to avoid spillage in all cases which limits your exposure to the chemicals.

GL

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 11:31 PM   #37
cipolz
Rep

Confirmed. Hpfp imploded... picked up a brand new x3 as a loaner today. SA said it could be several weeks since there are no fuel tanks available in the US. Probably increasing chances of a buyback. Bmw NA called me earlier today taking in additional details on my case and asked what I wanted to do. I said however much I like the car, I’d like a buyback at this point,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #38
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Reminds me of an old study.
The Spicer report?
      09-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #39
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

We followed the buy in bulk approach but went with just a lubricity additive (Stanadyne).
Not sure if this is just marketing b/s but if it provides better lubricity (5x) than other Stanadyne formulas then it's worth it.
I spoke w/stanadyne and they indicated that you should expect a larger improvement in lubricity with the lubricity formula than with say the performance formula.
https://promo.parker.com/promotionsi...us/en/products

Last edited by catskillclimber; 09-04-2019 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: add technical info
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:42 PM   #40
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Reminds me of an old study.
The Spicer report?
I can't view it, but IIRC ya.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #41
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
We followed the buy in bulk approach but went with just a lubricity additive (Stanadyne).
Not sure if this is just marketing b/s but if it provides better lubricity (5x) than other Stanadyne formulas then it's worth it.
I spoke w/stanadyne and they indicated that you should expect a larger improvement in lubricity with the lubricity formula than with say the performance formula.
https://promo.parker.com/promotionsi...us/en/products
Same but going with Diesel Power Service. What brought you to the Stanadyne?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #42
catskillclimber
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Same but going with Diesel Power Service. What brought you to the Stanadyne?
I went on the assumption that something with a specific target (lubricity) would be better than products trying to do many things. The subject of additives has been beat to death over the years with light truck owners. Never anything definitive, lots of anecdotal stuff, believe or not believe. I've used Power Services product that is supposed to prevent gelling in the winter in dozer, excavator, dump truck, and tractor. It does work as advertised to prevent gelling so it can't be all snake oil. I've never seen increased mpg, restored power, or any of the other over the top claims. If I had access to fresh, quality bio-diesel that would be my additive of choice for better lubricity.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #43
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I went on the assumption that something with a specific target (lubricity) would be better than products trying to do many things. The subject of additives has been beat to death over the years with light truck owners. Never anything definitive, lots of anecdotal stuff, believe or not believe. I've used Power Services product that is supposed to prevent gelling in the winter in dozer, excavator, dump truck, and tractor. It does work as advertised to prevent gelling so it can't be all snake oil. I've never seen increased mpg, restored power, or any of the other over the top claims. If I had access to fresh, quality bio-diesel that would be my additive of choice for better lubricity.
Agreed, lubricity is a good target. I also have fear of water and removing any chance of moisture getting into the tank and through the HPFP
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #44
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed, lubricity is a good target. I also have fear of water and removing any chance of moisture getting into the tank and through the HPFP
Your second fuel filter removes water (between the fuel pumps).

Appreciate 0