F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > 340i xDrive My First Ever Track Day Tomorrow!
Extreme Powerhouse

03-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
arvi604
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328xi SPORT

340i xDrive My First Ever Track Day Tomorrow!

Hey Bimmerpost

Taking my currently mostly stock (only mod at this time is a set of Apex Arc-8's 18x8.5 running AS3+ non RFT) 340i xDrive to Mission Raceway Park in BC tomorrow! I'm running with a novice group as it's my first time ever. Just looking to learn, have fun and not look silly!

I'd appreciate any tips and advice on what to bring, what to do and any words of wisdom at all!

Pictures to follow
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Plastic bin/bags for all the stuff you'll need take out of your car.
Pop up/lawn chair can be nice too for all the in between session time.
Tools you need (like torque wrench & socket for wheel bolts, tire pressure gauge & pump).
Make sure you have your tow hook.
Sunscreen.
Water.
Notebook/pen to jot down what you learn.

As a novice you'll be focusing on driving technique (smoothness), learning your car's abilities/limits, and hitting your marks/driving line. Focus on those instead of speed, which will come naturally as you become more familiar and proficient in those first three things.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 3
      03-10-2020, 01:44 AM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Have fun! Ask an instructor to ride with you to show you the line. Pay attention to the braking zones and don't worry about your lap times, just get used to the car.

Things a novice should bring:

1) An open humble attitude - your not fast, you have nothing to prove, absorb everything like a sponge and learn.

2) a chair

3) something to put your stuff in. You will empty your car. I like to bring a large plastic bin.

4) water

5) tire gauge

Things to check on your car:

1) tech sheet. Check everything on the tech sheet they should be giving you before the track event.

2) brakes - don't come with just barely enough life left. You will be taxing your brakes like never before.

3) tires - good condition with good tread depth. Don't bring tires barely hanging on to their last few miles. Check your pressures and drop a few lbs before your first session. I usually drop 5lbs from the cold pressure. Check your wheel lugs.

Things to consider as you go to more and more track days:

1) torque wrench - you want to torque your wheels to the correct torque while the wheels are cold.

2) air pump - I like a battery operated pump. I usually drop pressure for the track and pump back up to drive home. You also never know when you might debead or just let out too much air.

3) oil

4) surgical gloves - keep your hands clean

5) GoPro - you will want to start recording yourself

6) lap timer app - I use RaceChrono. Harry's is also popular.

7) OBD II Bluetooth adapter - the lap timer app can access speed, rpm, throttle position, and a while other bunch of data directly from the car.

8) GPS unit - sometimes the smartphone gps isn't good enough.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
      09-10-2021, 11:29 PM   #4
B5QShip
Rep
Drives: '16 340i

^what these guys said^ and just be well rested, hydrated, ready to learn, humble and - most importantly - prepared to divide by 10 when telling your wife about any track car expenses you're going to have moving forward.
Appreciate 0