F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dinan Shockware: The Skinny......
Extreme Powerhouse

11-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #67
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
How much for SWARE flash at Budds. Typically one of the higher priced dealerships that I stay away from. Is BMW Toronto an authorized dinan dealer?
Nope, only Budds is unfortunately.

Other closest place is in Montreal at BMW Laval. That's where I got mine done.
      11-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #68
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Nope, only Budds is unfortunately.

Other closest place is in Montreal at BMW Laval. That's where I got mine done.
BMW Kingston is also a Dinan dealer. Closer than Quebec

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #69
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
How much for SWARE flash at Budds. Typically one of the higher priced dealerships that I stay away from. Is BMW Toronto an authorized dinan dealer?
The flash is really quick - ask for their hourly rate - they shouldn't charge you over one hour for work. For reference, in BC, I paid $374 taxes in.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #70
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Thanks, I will do that. Did you get springs installed as well, or only the SWare flash?
      11-24-2017, 02:15 AM   #71
gx5_027
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Thanks, I will do that. Did you get springs installed as well, or only the SWare flash?
I had the dinan springs and bumpstops installed too.
The car handles very tight and it's not too firm, but way better than before where it felt floaty in comfort.

If I could do it again, I think I would go with the H&R sport springs for a lower drop.

When I picked up my car after the spring installation I thought "that's it?" - granted, it takes some time to settle too. You can PM me for pics which I can txt you if you'd like.

The reason I didn't go with the H&R springs originally was because I read some bad reviews about the car bottoming out with the H&R sport springs - but I can't be sure if the person installed bumpstops and shockware as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #72
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Well, just hit 69,000 Miles.....left front EDC damper has failed - has started to develop a rattling noise over bumps. Recommendation is to replace both front dampers. $$$ :-(((

Asked the shop foreman whether Shockware could have shortened the life of the damper. His answer - no way to tell for sure; however, if you increase pressure on any part, it will likely affect its longevity.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #73
jebs2k
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 435

if i picked up a used car, is there any way to find out if previous owner had shockware put on? maybe in esys?
tia
2019 440 GC
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 12:09 PM   #74
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs2k View Post
if i picked up a used car, is there any way to find out if previous owner had shockware put on? maybe in esys?
tia
Email dinan with your VIN as shockware installs are registered with them - in case you need to reflash so you don't pay full price again

BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #75
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Well, just hit 69,000 Miles.....left front EDC damper has failed - has started to develop a rattling noise over bumps. Recommendation is to replace both front dampers. $$$ :-(((

Asked the shop foreman whether Shockware could have shortened the life of the damper. His answer - no way to tell for sure; however, if you increase pressure on any part, it will likely affect its longevity.
Did you end up putting in EDC dampers or just switch to coilovers?

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #76
gregboy83
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

If I didn't mind a bumpy ride I would have bought an M3 instead. I think I'll keep my comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #77
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregboy83 View Post
If I didn't mind a bumpy ride I would have bought an M3 instead. I think I'll keep my comfort mode.
I had an E46 M3 as my DD for 6 years, and I can tell you even with Dinan springs and Shockware, the 335i ride is plenty cushy in Comfort Mode.
      08-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #78
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
PSA: Dinan Shockware is on sale for $164.40. Totally worth it!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #79
strobe89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 + 2015 335i xDrive

I noticed that shockware was on sale right now for that $164. I got excited until I read that it moves the existing sport mode into comfort. I just finished my ACS spring install less than a week ago and was looking into this flash. Not so excited anymore.

ACS springs didn't seem to add any "additional" float to comfort, and still rides rock hard in sport. I don't mind the minor float of comfort since it takes the road texture away for a smooth ride. I do wish it would get rid of the wallow on huge bumps where it feels like it's going to throw you out of the seat. Stock sport mode I feel like every pebble is transferred to my butt and even minor bumps cause rattles in my car.

If the flash truly is moving stock sport programming to the comfort mode, then I definitely don't want it. I just want my comfort mode with a little bit more body control, not the added texture and harshness of sport mode. I'd rarely ever touch the new fancy dinan mode for sport. In comfort mode with my ACS springs, I'd say this F30 xDrive and adaptive suspension is the best riding car I've had. It easily rivals my family's bigger 5 series BMW, and E class sedans. Just wish it had a little bit more body control. Guess you can't always have your cake and eat it too.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 11:05 AM   #80
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

I am at a shop and they mentioned issues with some cars not taking it and throwing a code.

I have a 2012 335i any known issues with that year.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #81
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe89 View Post
I noticed that shockware was on sale right now for that $164. I got excited until I read that it moves the existing sport mode into comfort. I just finished my ACS spring install less than a week ago and was looking into this flash. Not so excited anymore.

ACS springs didn't seem to add any "additional" float to comfort, and still rides rock hard in sport. I don't mind the minor float of comfort since it takes the road texture away for a smooth ride. I do wish it would get rid of the wallow on huge bumps where it feels like it's going to throw you out of the seat. Stock sport mode I feel like every pebble is transferred to my butt and even minor bumps cause rattles in my car.

If the flash truly is moving stock sport programming to the comfort mode, then I definitely don't want it. I just want my comfort mode with a little bit more body control, not the added texture and harshness of sport mode. I'd rarely ever touch the new fancy dinan mode for sport. In comfort mode with my ACS springs, I'd say this F30 xDrive and adaptive suspension is the best riding car I've had. It easily rivals my family's bigger 5 series BMW, and E class sedans. Just wish it had a little bit more body control. Guess you can't always have your cake and eat it too.
I've got a '17 RWD 340i with the Shockware installed, so not sure if this is a direct comparison, but I don't feel that the stock sport suspension mode was moved down to comfort. More like something in between. I drive in NJ, on some pretty bad roads. I've got the 19's from the track package with the RFT performance tires on the car and I don't get any excessive rattling or harshness from even pretty large bumps in the new Shockware-modified "comfort" mode. Most of the float has been removed, and the car does feel "stiffer" overall, but it is still nicely compliant. Frankly, my F30 now feels more like my beloved '08 E90 RWD sport package car, though slightly more comfortable. My F30's comfort mode now feels like a perfect sporty daily driver to me. I've had the Shockware for about 9 months now and I don't think there has been a single occasion where I've wished that the car was "softer."

Now the new "sport" mode is definitely stiffer than the stock sport. Sport is definitely too firm to be used as a daily driver, unless you have nice smooth roads where you live. I use it on all of my country/windy road drives, but to be honest the new "comfort" mode is so good that only when I'm really pushing the car hard (or want to get the flaps on my MPPSK exhaust to open up) do I put the car in sport or sport+ mode.

My advice, get the Shockware. Just make sure that your installer of choice will remove it for free if you dislike it for some reason. My dealer was willing to make that promise. All I would have had to pay for was the 30 minutes of labor ($75) from the initial install. The only caveat here is that you put the ACS springs on already, which are certainly NOT matched to the damping characteristics of the Dinan-modified dampers. Shockware is technically designed to work with Dinan springs. Shockware also seems to work very well with the stock springs (at least on Sport/MSport cars). Unless the spring rates are similar (perhaps you can find that information), I don't know if I'd pair Shockware with another spring brand.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #82
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
I've got a '17 RWD 340i with the Shockware installed, so not sure if this is a direct comparison, but I don't feel that the stock sport suspension mode was moved down to comfort. More like something in between. I drive in NJ, on some pretty bad roads. I've got the 19's from the track package with the RFT performance tires on the car and I don't get any excessive rattling or harshness from even pretty large bumps in the new Shockware-modified "comfort" mode. Most of the float has been removed, and the car does feel "stiffer" overall, but it is still nicely compliant. Frankly, my F30 now feels more like my beloved '08 E90 RWD sport package car, though slightly more comfortable. My F30's comfort mode now feels like a perfect sporty daily driver to me. I've had the Shockware for about 9 months now and I don't think there has been a single occasion where I've wished that the car was "softer."

Now the new "sport" mode is definitely stiffer than the stock sport. Sport is definitely too firm to be used as a daily driver, unless you have nice smooth roads where you live. I use it on all of my country/windy road drives, but to be honest the new "comfort" mode is so good that only when I'm really pushing the car hard (or want to get the flaps on my MPPSK exhaust to open up) do I put the car in sport or sport+ mode.

My advice, get the Shockware. Just make sure that your installer of choice will remove it for free if you dislike it for some reason. My dealer was willing to make that promise. All I would have had to pay for was the 30 minutes of labor ($75) from the initial install. The only caveat here is that you put the ACS springs on already, which are certainly NOT matched to the damping characteristics of the Dinan-modified dampers. Shockware is technically designed to work with Dinan springs. Shockware also seems to work very well with the stock springs (at least on Sport/MSport cars). Unless the spring rates are similar (perhaps you can find that information), I don't know if I'd pair Shockware with another spring brand.
The LCI 340i uses a different EDC damper made by Tenneco (as part of their Monroe Intelligent Suspension CVSAe lineup) compared to the Pre-LCI cars as evidenced by different part numbers from BMW. As such, I couldn't say how much of my original pre-LCI 335i description applies to the post LCI cars. Perhaps Dinan can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #83
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Still living with my rattling front left EDC damper. At $605 each side + labor; its a tough pill to swallow. At some point, I'll get irritated enough and bite the ~$1500 bullet to replace both of my front EDC dampers.

Will be sticking with BMW. I'm probably in the minority in that I put a lot more stock/faith in the engineering work done by an OE manufacturer vs. the aftermarket.

When I hear of folks swapping out springs, changing wheel offsets etc. I tend to cringe, thinking about the impact of such changes on the overall suspension geometry.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #84
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Still living with my rattling front left EDC damper. At $605 each side + labor; its a tough pill to swallow. At some point, I'll get irritated enough and bite the ~$1500 bullet to replace both of my front EDC dampers.

Will be sticking with BMW. I'm probably in the minority in that I put a lot more stock/faith in the engineering work done by an OE manufacturer vs. the aftermarket.

When I hear of folks swapping out springs, changing wheel offsets etc. I tend to cringe, thinking about the impact of such changes on the overall suspension geometry.
Well, finally bit the bullet and had both front EDC struts replaced with new ones. Rattle noise is finally gone.

For the longest time I wasn't convinced that it was a bad damper. I dealt with the noise for well over a year - which absolutely ruined the driving experience for me, daily. For a while I was convinced the noise was an EPS rack issue. Dealer even replaced the EPS thrust piece (made by Thyssenkrupp); but it did not resolve the rattling noise issue.

Ultimately took the Shop Foreman's advice and went ahead with the EDC strut replacements. Sure enough, it resolved the issue.

I can't say with any confidence whether Shockware did or did not contribute to the premature failure of the damper. What I CAN tell you though is that I'm extremely careful with my car and go out of my way to avoid dips, potholes and ruts in the road surface.

YMMV.....

FWIW, I reached out to Dinan Technical support; but never heard back.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #85
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Here I go bringing a thread back from the dead, but figured it was better than starting something new...

Now that the years have gone by, is everyone who successfully installed the Shockware upgrade still pretty happy with their decision?

Teleworking for months due to the pandemic has led me to drive my car far less. Each time I'm more keenly aware of how it behaves since my senses aren't numbed by the routine daily slog to work and back.

The one thing which now stands out to me above all else is how much happier I am with the ride and handling of the car when the dynamic suspension is in Sport/Sport+. I still waffle with preferences on the steering and throttle calibration depending on what I'm doing at the time, but I find myself always wanting the suspension to be a bit stiffer.

Since my car isn't equipped with the ability to personalize settings like you can in some Audis and BMW M cars, I figured the next best thing to solve my biggest issue would be to mod the car with the Shockware software.

Of everything I've read, my only concern would be the new, stiffer setting being a little two stiff for anything outside of a track or back road, but if there is still a little compliance for sharp impacts like seams in concrete pavement, I may not mind at all.
      06-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #86
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Here I go bringing a thread back from the dead, but figured it was better than starting something new...

Now that the years have gone by, is everyone who successfully installed the Shockware upgrade still pretty happy with their decision?

Teleworking for months due to the pandemic has led me to drive my car far less. Each time I'm more keenly aware of how it behaves since my senses aren't numbed by the routine daily slog to work and back.

The one thing which now stands out to me above all else is how much happier I am with the ride and handling of the car when the dynamic suspension is in Sport/Sport+. I still waffle with preferences on the steering and throttle calibration depending on what I'm doing at the time, but I find myself always wanting the suspension to be a bit stiffer.

Since my car isn't equipped with the ability to personalize settings like you can in some Audis and BMW M cars, I figured the next best thing to solve my biggest issue would be to mod the car with the Shockware software.

Of everything I've read, my only concern would be the new, stiffer setting being a little two stiff for anything outside of a track or back road, but if there is still a little compliance for sharp impacts like seams in concrete pavement, I may not mind at all.
I've had Dinan Shockware on my 340i xDrive for about 7 months now and love it. I find the ride quality to still be good when in Comfort mode (i.e., the stock Sport/Sport+ setting) but love how the car handles now with the new Dinan setting when in Sport/Sport+ mode. The handling is much improved so if you are looking for an improvement there and have the Adaptive M suspension then you can't go wrong with Shockware considering it's low price. I paid $320 and that includes taxes and installation. I hope this helps.
      06-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #87
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
I've had Dinan Shockware on my 340i xDrive for about 7 months now and love it. I find the ride quality to still be good when in Comfort mode (i.e., the stock Sport/Sport+ setting) but love how the car handles now with the new Dinan setting when in Sport/Sport+ mode. The handling is much improved so if you are looking for an improvement there and have the Adaptive M suspension then you can't go wrong with Shockware considering it's low price. I paid $320 and that includes taxes and installation. I hope this helps.
That is helpful. Thank you.

I'm always curious how some upgrades stand the test of time. People might be really happy with them for the first month or so because it is something new, but then a few months later it doesn't meet expectations and regret sets in.

On a long road trip this weekend I found my self very content with the throttle and steering of Comfort mode but was really wanting the better body motion control offered in Sport mode. Switching back and forth showed me the ride was actually more comfortable because there was less body motion over uneven surfaces. It was only on some rather beat up sections of pavement where the softer ride was of any benifit.
      06-29-2020, 10:26 PM   #88
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
That is helpful. Thank you.

I'm always curious how some upgrades stand the test of time. People might be really happy with them for the first month or so because it is something new, but then a few months later it doesn't meet expectations and regret sets in.

On a long road trip this weekend I found my self very content with the throttle and steering of Comfort mode but was really wanting the better body motion control offered in Sport mode. Switching back and forth showed me the ride was actually more comfortable because there was less body motion over uneven surfaces. It was only on some rather beat up sections of pavement where the softer ride was of any benifit.
I've had mine installed for about 110k miles, I'm at 152k miles at the moment on the stock EDC suspension still. I think the test of time will be fine for you, or anyone for the matter. This shockware should have came with every EDC 3 series car IMO.