F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Bought a used car that came with wrong sized tires
Extreme Powerhouse

12-28-2018, 01:11 PM   #45
Spielzeugauto
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdimov View Post
I have a similar question. I'm running 225/55 R17 summer tires(all 4 tires are the same size) on 2017 330i GT xDrive. The winter tires I bought are 225/50 R17(again all 4 are the same size) and dealer is telling that because the tires are a different size(non-OEM sized) this will confuse and possibly damage the xDrive system. Is there any truth to this?
Yeah that's nonsense.
If all tires are the same size, the xdrive will not see any change at all.
Your speedo and odometer will be slightly off, that's it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #46
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
how? they complete the work and send the bill to BMW instead of the owner. it's the same.
It's not the same. Warranty labor (and sometimes parts) pricing is generally less than what a client coming through the door pays. For example, the general rule of thumb that most dealers on the planet go by is Warranty Labor Time X 1.5 - 2.0 = Customer Pay Labor Time. So if BMW pays a dealer 1 hour of labor for a warranty repair, a customer is generally getting charged 1.5-2.0 hours of labor. This at least applies in most states in the U.S., mainly because most states now have laws that force manufacturers to pay the same labor rate for warranty work as the dealer would charge their clients. So to reduce costs and get around those laws, manufacturers will simply reduce the labor time they will pay a dealer to perform a warranty repair. However, dealer costs/overhead still remains the same (actually it has increased significantly over the last decade) and somebody has to pay for those costs. So like anything else they get passed along to the clients coming through the door. And that's just the reality of the car business these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrdimov View Post
I have a similar question. I'm running 225/55 R17 summer tires(all 4 tires are the same size) on 2017 330i GT xDrive. The winter tires I bought are 225/50 R17(again all 4 are the same size) and dealer is telling that because the tires are a different size(non-OEM sized) this will confuse and possibly damage the xDrive system. Is there any truth to this?
It won't do any damage as they are all the same size and thus rotate and the same rate, however you'll be racking up more miles on your odometer than you're actually traveling due to their smaller overall diameter. You might as well throw $50 out the window for every 100 miles you drive. Why install the incorrect size to begin with?
      01-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #47
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Wrong tire size can screw up x drive. Ask the dealer to replace them. Is this CPO or just a used car?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 06:45 AM   #48
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
It's not the same. Warranty labor (and sometimes parts) pricing is generally less than what a client coming through the door pays. For example, the general rule of thumb that most dealers on the planet go by is Warranty Labor Time X 1.5 - 2.0 = Customer Pay Labor Time. So if BMW pays a dealer 1 hour of labor for a warranty repair, a customer is generally getting charged 1.5-2.0 hours of labor. This at least applies in most states in the U.S., mainly because most states now have laws that force manufacturers to pay the same labor rate for warranty work as the dealer would charge their clients. So to reduce costs and get around those laws, manufacturers will simply reduce the labor time they will pay a dealer to perform a warranty repair. However, dealer costs/overhead still remains the same (actually it has increased significantly over the last decade) and somebody has to pay for those costs. So like anything else they get passed along to the clients coming through the door. And that's just the reality of the car business these days.
It was never that way when I worked at an OEM. Unless what you're saying is that's BMW-specific. I even remember working on some of the repair manuals and developing book hours. I know a lot of dealers hate it because it's not always accurate, but I've never heard of different hours being reported to the OEM vs the customer. That all sounds extremely illegal.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0