F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Detachable Towbar Advice
Extreme Powerhouse

01-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D LCI

Detachable Towbar Advice

Hi guys i’m needing a detachable towbar fitting to my f36 440i - ideally I want to keep it as oem as possible, I have had quotes from bmw £1500, no thanks!

Found a couple of sites (pf jones one of them) that are reasonably priced and mobile fitting, but there support team don’t seem to be able to help me re. the towbar electrics side so came here for anyone with experience.

I would obviously be selecting a dedicated vehicle specific loom (westfali i believe which is oem) but it’s very unclear as to whether the car will pick up the towbar functions automatically, ie. pdc off when towing, modified dsc, fog light off when towing etc.) pf jones say “it may” while a local fitter says it should work without coding.

Also will be towing an alko hitch so advice on choice of towbars would be good too.

Coding is not a problem as i’m strong with esys etc. but would like experience of people thats had the towbars fitted to an F3* vehicle
and what was needed to be done after or whether it all just worked.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
Motormatt
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport Touring

I had a Witter detachable swan bar fitted to my F31 330d, booked through the witter website.
I had their vehicle specific loom and it didn’t require coding, it says this is the case on their website.
I haven’t looked specifically for changes in PDC or DSC behaviour as I only use it for a bike carrier but I always notice that the gearbox will no longer ‘glide’ in eco pro mode when the tow ball is in use and electrics connected. Based on that I assume the car knows it is towing and alters various settings accordingly
Hope that’s of assistance
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #3
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormatt View Post
I had a Witter detachable swan bar fitted to my F31 330d, booked through the witter website.
I had their vehicle specific loom and it didn’t require coding, it says this is the case on their website.
I haven’t looked specifically for changes in PDC or DSC behaviour as I only use it for a bike carrier but I always notice that the gearbox will no longer ‘glide’ in eco pro mode when the tow ball is in use and electrics connected. Based on that I assume the car knows it is towing and alters various settings accordingly
Hope that’s of assistance
That’s brilliant thanks for that, certainly what i wanted to hear!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #4
stargixxer
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

I fitted my removable bar to my F31 335d last month.
Wasn't too bad really, but I'm more than competent with the spanners.
Electrics we're 'fun', but was more me learning where and how, I could do it all again inside 3 hours easily.
I used Brink bar, and Witter electrics.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargixxer View Post
I fitted my removable bar to my F31 335d last month.
Wasn't too bad really, but I'm more than competent with the spanners.
Electrics we're 'fun', but was more me learning where and how, I could do it all again inside 3 hours easily.
I used Brink bar, and Witter electrics.
How do the witter electrics get on? does the car seem to know its towing automatically without any additional coding/software work?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:07 AM   #6
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

IME, E6x and E9x detect trailer by load on the brake light.
My factory fit F36 bar has a microswitch in the towing socket to detect trailer.
I suspect all retrofit wiring boxes will detect by brake light.
There are (were) a few different ones around. Do a search and look at the instructions - most if not all the F36 ones I looked at before I bought my car did not mute the PDC - you had to use the switch.
Trailer stability/engine mode: TBH, in my E60, E91's and the F36, I have never detected any change in car behaviour. Now that either says something about the car or the driver. You choose which 😊
Are you towing a caravan? If so, does it have ATC - this needs a 20 amp fused supply.
Standard BMW loom does not have any fridge wiring, so no battery charging either.
I have found that with the standard bar, the ball is very close to the bumper - well below the clearance recommended by Alko for the stabiliser hitch. I found I was unable to hitch up without the car and caravan pretty much in line - not always practical - although once hitched, there was no chance of the stabiliser hitting the bumper. In the end, I changed the caravan hitch for a BPW Westfalia one, which is smaller and a lot of people prefer this hitch to the Alko.
Having fitted quite a number of bars over the years, I would always have a Westfalia one.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:10 AM   #7
Anton_555
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d sport

Fitted the detachable westfalia and it's electrics kit last year to my F31. It definitely did not automatically turn off the PDC.... I had to code it using E-Sys after which it worked perfectly. Now when I select reverse and the trailer
Is plugged in I get a tow bar symbol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:27 AM   #8
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_555 View Post
Fitted the detachable westfalia and it's electrics kit last year to my F31. It definitely did not automatically turn off the PDC.... I had to code it using E-Sys after which it worked perfectly. Now when I select reverse and the trailer
Can you remember what coding was involved? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
Anton_555
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiem1987 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_555 View Post
Can you remember what coding was involved? Thank you
Hmm, from memory I think I FA'd 3AC and then coded the REM. As I was only after the parking sensor inhibit function then I didn't bother coding anything else. Not sure if coding the other modules (DSC, KOMBI) etc would give you anything additional as I didn't try.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #10
999rigger
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 Series Convertible

try these:

https://www.towsure.com/bmw-4-series...achable-towbar
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:50 AM   #11
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

I went westfalia detach - Alko hitch is fine and i can virtually reverse under it using the camera.

the guy who fitted mine didnt do any coding so PDC still works as normal. His answer was............press the the button at the gearstick to turn it off.
Appreciate 0