F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR Recall - 335d
GetBMWParts

01-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #485
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorg99 View Post
It appears that I have to take their word for it that I can take my complaint no further.

Thanks for your further email.

Your complaint has been logged on our system for monitoring purposes, but I’m afraid you’ve reached the highest point of escalation here at BMW UK.

BMW UK are unable to resolve your complaint on this occasion.

I’m sorry I couldn’t be of further assistance.

Looks like I'll have to phone instead...
I reached exactly the same point. They simply do not care.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #486
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsea_Tractor View Post
Fuck this I am contacting BBC Watchdog as well now...
Haven't done so as yet but contemplating sending an e-mail to the BMW UK CEO:

BMW UK CEO
Graeme Grieve

Graeme.Grieve@bmw.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #487
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post

BMW UK CEO
Graeme Grieve

Graeme.Grieve@bmw.co.uk

You could try that and see what reply you get.

My own personal opinion is that if BMW can't fix your car due to a shortage of parts but want to quarantine it due to fire risk which is down to a badly manufactured/dangerous part they fitted when the car was assembled, then they should supply a car in a similar class to the one you purchased.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #488
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

Quote:

BMW UK CEO
Graeme Grieve

Graeme.Grieve@bmw.co.uk
All that happens when you email Mr Grieve is you get bounced back to the Customer Services team.

I can't stress this enough; BMW simply don't care.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #489
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
My own personal opinion is that if BMW can't fix your car due to a shortage of parts but want to quarantine it due to fire risk which is down to a badly manufactured/dangerous part they fitted when the car was assembled, then they should supply a car in a similar class to the one you purchased.
I tend to agree but where BMW seem to be coming from is almost they're doing you a favour by keeping you mobile!

In point of fact, one of their Customer Services people tried to tell me yesterday they had no obligation to provide a courtesy car at all but when I said I'm paying for BMW Emergency Assist as part of the extended warranty - and part of those terms and conditions is they give you a car if in an emergency yours isn't repairable - he backed down. Being honest I'm not sure the courtesy car provision from BMW Emergency Assist is open-ended in terms of timing but I didn't want to allow the facts to get in the way of a good argument!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #490
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Quote:
I wrote to the DVSA today. I think the recall is farcical to say the least. You mean to tell me you can have two BMW's, the same year, the same engine... and the one that leaks gets the cooler... the one that does not leak is good to go and safe to drive? I pray the Lord almighty strikes BMW down with his wrath and a "we've checked it, it was not leaking so it does not require replacement sir" vehicle catches fire outside Park Lane... and I pray it is the SOB EGR that causes it!

It boils my piss to see BMW putting more life at danger with their half arsed recall.
This was my concern a few days ago but no one responded to my post - it is unbelievable behavior. The cooler could literally break 1 mile after them giving it the 'OK'.

I don't know how they're getting away with this? Definitely one for the BBC Watchdog, they love a good car recall scheme and car companies are scared to death of them. Please report back your response from the DVSA!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      01-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #491
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Call out to BMW Cheltenham - they have put me in a discovery while my 4yo 335d is quarantined. That was decided at 1400 today and by 1600 they found a suitable replacement

I actually was given a choice, so looks like dealers vary enormously
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #492
smorg99
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
Call out to BMW Cheltenham - they have put me in a discovery while my 4yo 335d is quarantined. That was decided at 1400 today and by 1600 they found a suitable replacement

I actually was given a choice, so looks like dealers vary enormously
Pleased for you, however in my case the dealer wasn't involved whatsoever in dealing with the loan car. BMW UK arranged it with Enterprise. Going to call my dealer tomorrow to see if they can give me a rough idea of when my car will be repaired. If they mention the words 'weeks' or 'months' then I'm gonna kick off and ask them to get involved. I might tell them that I'm happy to keep this pile of sh*t if they contribute to the monthly payments I make for a car I cannot drive due to BMWs complete lack of organisation. How the hell can you recall thousands of cars and not have a plan in place to get the parts needed to replace in a timely fashion? Beggars belief.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #493
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorg99 View Post
Pleased for you, however in my case the dealer wasn't involved whatsoever in dealing with the loan car. BMW UK arranged it with Enterprise. Going to call my dealer tomorrow to see if they can give me a rough idea of when my car will be repaired. If they mention the words 'weeks' or 'months' then I'm gonna kick off and ask them to get involved. I might tell them that I'm happy to keep this pile of sh*t if they contribute to the monthly payments I make for a car I cannot drive due to BMWs complete lack of organisation. How the hell can you recall thousands of cars and not have a plan in place to get the parts needed to replace in a timely fashion? Beggars belief.
More of the time Cotswold and whoever they subcontracted out (initially enterprise then someone else) took to sort it. The car is fine but not a 335d and I seriously doubt I’ll get 600+ miles out of a tank (54l fill up) as I did this weekend. I did politely push for something similar when I was offered the usual twingo from enterprise, citing the need for 4WD, diesel and forthcoming ‘dailymail’ extreme snow event about to happen with me living at the top of a 1in 6 hill

If you are still paying on lease, I think you well within your rights to demand something similar
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:48 AM   #494
adsyd
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
The way it's been explained to me is BMW UK tell Enterprise what car band they've approved for an individual and Enterprise allocate something on that basis; depending on availability you may get something from a band above but that's likely to be the exception not the norm. Moreover, if you get a vehicle from the approved band and don't like it Enterprise cannot upgrade you without authority from BMW and my experience - and those of others - is that that authority is unlikely to be forthcoming unless you're prepared to fight long and hard to get it.

I'm not sure how you managed to get straight into a 320d X-Drive; all I can assume is Enterprise didn't have something from the correct band available at the time you needed a car and the 320d was the closest match they had at the time to get you mobile. However, good on you regardless of how it's come about!
I took my car in on Thursday, BMW loaned me a 118 for the day to return the next morning. On Thursday afternoon they told me my car was a fire risk and it cannot leave the dealership but they also didn't have the part to fix it, which was odd! No probs I said, and asked if I can keep the 118, they said no, it must be returned the next morning, however BMW assist will be in touch to sort you out. That they did and said they will give whatever car is available at Enterprise just to 'get you going'. I told them I have long distance to do and people to ferry about so can't be doing with a 1 litre Micra for weeks/months, basically she said tough.

When Enterprise called I told them exactly the same, they kindly found me the 320 from a different branch and had it ready for me at the dealership the next morning when I returned the 118, they were all very nice about it, didn't at any stage said no you cannot have this or that. Just ask for it!

Anyway, 6 days and counting and still no word from BMW on when I will get my car back, so might be driving the 320 for a while...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 04:16 AM   #495
3george
Private
Rep
Drives: MY2021 F40 128ti

My vehicle was recovered on Monday as part of the recall. Lancaster Milton Keynes told me today they have 9 vehicles in the same position with replacement EGR coolers needed to be shipped from Germany.

Story I was told was that BMW UK representative was on site overseeing all the recalls and they were capturing details from the EDR fitted to decide if it would be replaced. Mine it seems falls into this category. The vehicle was occasionally loosing power at 1500 - 2000 rpm / hesitating a little but no other symptoms of an EGR issue / warning light was absent.

Rental car from Enterprise has been offered as they are unable to estimate how long the repair will take - I'll see what that they offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #496
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

Eugh......in for our brake fluid service and was informed about the recall officially affecting our car (325d) now.

I told the gent that we had our EGR replaced around 1-2 months ago (when it emptied the entire reservoir) and he advised (and this is the scary bit) that they have discovered that some of the defective EGR part numbers have been extended to include those parts that were used in some replacements, even recent ones :|

I mean wtf

So now, waiting to hear if this is the case for our car and if so, what colour of Ford Ka we are going to end up with

:/

J
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #497
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
This was my concern a few days ago but no one responded to my post - it is unbelievable behavior. The cooler could literally break 1 mile after them giving it the 'OK'.

I don't know how they're getting away with this? Definitely one for the BBC Watchdog, they love a good car recall scheme and car companies are scared to death of them. Please report back your response from the DVSA!
I would imagine Watchdog might like the story after the previous BMW electrical issue with eventual recall.
The lack of clear information / policy about the permanent fix for the failure is concerning. Simply putting in a replacement cooler of the same design seems flawed, unless they have clearly identified a faulty batch of coolers with a manufacturing flaw.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #498
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah....they have been caught waving their willies about for sure

I mean, when I drove the car in and asked about a recall on ours.........they checked the system and it said no, they then asked the workshop and were told no, my model was fine

2 weeks later. The car lost ALL of its coolant. The EGR had failed.

Now.............its on the recall list

On the other hand. My shitbox Clio. Is more dependable.

Lets digest that

LOL!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #499
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

When a product failure is unravelling, it can appear a total fiasco. When BMW first had EGR failures, it wasn't likely thought it would become such a big issue. Hence in the early stages, we can get replacement parts of the same design/part numbers. Plus confusion, as the full understanding is established.

Anyone remember the BMW Nikasil issue/recall? BMW were replacing engines of the same design and bore coating, before they gained the full knowledge and identity/proof of the cause of failure. Some users had a second round of failure, due to the time it took BMW to establish the facts and then make a major change to the engine production.

All very frustrating. How BMW deal with it can make all the difference.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      01-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #500
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Well......we managed to dodge it this time. Apparently our EGR is not included.

Our second replacement rack is knocking.

SECOND RACK. omfg

And after the brake fluid change.............it feels like braking through marshmallows. I guarantee there is air in there. I am seriously losing the will

J
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:38 AM   #501
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinjur View Post
Well......we managed to dodge it this time. Apparently our EGR is not included.

Our second replacement rack is knocking.

SECOND RACK. omfg

And after the brake fluid change.............it feels like braking through marshmallows. I guarantee there is air in there. I am seriously losing the will

J
I'm totally confused.

One post above, you said it was?

I wouldn't view it as a good thing if they're telling you yours isn't covered, as it's not cheap to replace.
      01-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #502
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive

Quote:
I wrote to the DVSA today. I think the recall is farcical to say the least. You mean to tell me you can have two BMW's, the same year, the same engine... and the one that leaks gets the cooler... the one that does not leak is good to go and safe to drive? I pray the Lord almighty strikes BMW down with his wrath and a "we've checked it, it was not leaking so it does not require replacement sir" vehicle catches fire outside Park Lane... and I pray it is the SOB EGR that causes it!

It boils my piss to see BMW putting more life at danger with their half arsed recall.
Yep - that's where I'm at. "Your EGR is ok (for now)......toodles!" No future replacement coming. Not even a mention of it being done for free if it develops symptoms in the future!

Good ere innit!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      01-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #503
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
I'm totally confused.

One post above, you said it was?

I wouldn't view it as a good thing if they're telling you yours isn't covered, as it's not cheap to replace.
Sorry Russ, not clear on my part.

I advised that ours had only been replaced a couple of months ago due to "catastrophic failure" as they put it

He then told me that BMW have since told dealers that parts that had been used even recently to repair the issue may have still been from the batch that is causing issues.

Which is crackers.

But was not the case for us luckily although he did say that had been for some customers which had been replaced recently

J
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #504
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
To be fair, given the enormity of the problem, it does seem reasonable to focus efforts on replacing those cars with EGR coolers that have actually failed as a priority.

There is a PUMA on this problem, and this will not go away, so if your car develops the relevant symptoms, it will be checked again and replaced as required.

I suspect the reason they are not saying to you to come back in X months is because they have no fucking idea when they can fix the cars they already have littering dealerships across the world with failed EGRs.
      01-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #505
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep

Well, they did prepare me for the fact that I might not be taking the car home so i think if they did find issue or a culprit part number, it would have been kept

The chap did say they have no choice in the matter but you could sign a disclaimer if you really wanted the car.

He told me that they have around 60 customer cars sitting there who have all received "keep you mobile" Enterprise rentals and they have absolutely no sight of any more EGR parts.

Seemingly BMW do have them but they have to be spread liberally across all dealershits*

*not a typo.

J
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #506
gsxr750k3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 330d EB

Mine went in on Monday to Sytner Swansea 2013 330d and after inspection i got a call to say its staying there and have had a Nissan puke as a loan car . They did say it would be around 4 weeks at least before they have the parts but i am not bothered as long as the wife has wheels
Appreciate 0