F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ***DIY: bootmod3 OBD Agent build with RPi 3 B
ARMA SPEED

05-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #67
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I've stumbled across this thread - some great work guys!

Just ordered all the parts and will be building my box tomorrow
JaredG_F301105.00
      05-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #68
EstorilMSport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post

PRO PRO Tip: Ok so I haven't verified this but it seems that it would work. I have an extra WiFi router so I'm going to use it to set up a new home network with SSID bootmod3 and password bootmod3. I should be able to connect my phone and OBD agent to this network and be able to flash without setting up the hotspot through my phone. I'll report back on if this works or not.
Has anyone been able to connect using their home WiFi network? I have not been successful. My SSID and PW are bootmod3 as instructed and my iphone was connected to the network and hard reset. I also updated to the newest firmware and plugged it into my tv and it looks like a prompt for a login (screenshot below). Has anyone else seen this prompt? Is it normal?

Thanks.

2014 335i M Sport: bootmod3 Stg 2 E30 Custom, AA CP, CSF FMIC, GFB DV , VRSF catless DP, aFe stage 2 intake, KW Clubsport coilovers, MP LSD, aFe sway bars, F80 LCAs, monoball thrust arms, Delrin rear subframe bushings, xHP Stage 3.
IG: German_car_connection
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #69
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
Just to share.

For those near a Microcenter (or don't mind shipping) this is a good option too. Comes with motherboard, SD card, and case at a good price point.

I'm going to go pick it up Saturday.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._B_Starter_Kit
Just to update. I did end up using this kit from microcenter. Works fine.

For some reason though it does seem to take a long time to connect via iOS on occasion. Sometimes I end up resetting the RPi and/or having to kill the app on the phone. Would be annoying if I wanted it to connect every time I get in the car. Not sure if other experience this or just me
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #70
omhl
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S / F82 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilMSport View Post
Has anyone been able to connect using their home WiFi network? I have not been successful. My SSID and PW are bootmod3 as instructed and my iphone was connected to the network and hard reset. I also updated to the newest firmware and plugged it into my tv and it looks like a prompt for a login (screenshot below). Has anyone else seen this prompt? Is it normal?

Thanks.

im getting this too. unsuccessful usb tethering and also wifi tether...
      05-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #71
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I haven't tried to connect to home WiFi yet. Looks like there are some issues. Maybe I can find some time the weekend to give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilMSport View Post

Thanks.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #72
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I don't think I've seen home WiFi work yet. I'd have to sit down to figure out why, just don't have time ATM. As for iOS, iPhone just blows when it comes to the WiFi Hotspot. If you've seen Eric (Owns the MG M2) on the FB Page, message him. I know we had issues with him and he eventually worked it out. His delay (which sounds similar to yours) was due to it still trying to connect to WiFi (his phone was) and that slowed down connection time.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 2
Fr3sh28.50
      05-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #73
GoodtoGo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I've been able to reconfigure the agent SSID and PW to log into an already configured home WiFi and connect tethered and untethered to an iPhone running the BM3 app logged into the same WiFi network.

I've also renamed my iPhone hotspot SSID and PW to be the same as my home network to use while away from home while not having to change any of the agent settings. I did have to disable WiFi networking service in privacy > location services > system services.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #74
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's awesome. Other then reconfiguring the agent SSID and PW did you make any other changes. That being said, it seems logical that having a home WiFI network with SSID bootmod3 and PW bootmod3, the agent should connect without needed to be reconfigured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodtoGo View Post
I've been able to reconfigure the agent SSID and PW to log into an already configured home WiFi and connect tethered and untethered to an iPhone running the BM3 app logged into the same WiFi network.

I've also renamed my iPhone hotspot SSID and PW to be the same as my home network to use while away from home while not having to change any of the agent settings. I did have to disable WiFi networking service in privacy > location services > system services.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #75
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's awesome. Other then reconfiguring the agent SSID and PW did you make any other changes. That being said, it seems logical that having a home WiFI network with SSID bootmod3 and PW bootmod3, the agent should connect without needed to be reconfigured.
It **should** haha. My other non-BM3 RP3's have no issue with this, so not sure ATM. Might as well just tether the phone to the device since you'll need to use it to control everything anyhow.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:10 PM   #76
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

True but my LTE signal is 2/5 bars in my garage but the home WiFi is 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
It **should** haha. My other non-BM3 RP3's have no issue with this, so not sure ATM. Might as well just tether the phone to the device since you'll need to use it to control everything anyhow.

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 01:13 PM   #77
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
True but my LTE signal is 2/5 bars in my garage but the home WiFi is 95%
Well, yes, but that's what I'm saying. You can connect the phone to WiFi and USB tether and do WiFi sharing. You can also download maps to the Pi wherever, so long as it has power. Doesn't need to be in the car.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #78
GoodtoGo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

No other settings to the agent. Only the one setting change mentioned on iPhone. I preferred to change my agent WiFi login that create a new home WiFi network SSID and PW.

Startup sequence might also be important:

WiFi network active (home or phone hotspot)
Power up agent
Allow agent to connect to network (shows confirmation on iPhone for hotspot)
Open app
App login
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 07:04 AM   #79
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ah...good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Well, yes, but that's what I'm saying. You can connect the phone to WiFi and USB tether and do WiFi sharing. You can also download maps to the Pi wherever, so long as it has power. Doesn't need to be in the car.

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 07:21 AM   #80
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So when connecting the Agent to your home WiFi, how do you know when it's connected?

Quote:
No other settings to the agent. Only the one setting change mentioned on iPhone. I preferred to change my agent WiFi login that create a new home WiFi network SSID and PW.

Power up agent
Open app
App login

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #81
GoodtoGo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So when connecting the Agent to your home WiFi, how do you know when it's connected?

Quote:

Power up agent
Open app
App login
Unfortunately you don't know until you log in through the app and see that your OBD agent is connected. I guess you could log into your home router to check connections.

The agent could not have been logged into any other network because my hotspot was off and my phone was logged into the home network. I don't believe the iPhone allows hotspot connections when it is logged into WiFi anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #82
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Correct about the iPhone and another reason I would like to get the agent connected to my home WiFi. Currently, I have to go into iPhone settings and click "forget this network" in order to connect the agent to my iPhone hotspot. Then I have to log back in when I'm done. It's not a huge issue but I have an extra WiFi router that I can set to SSID bottmod3 and be done with it.

Quote:
Unfortunately you don't know until you log in through the app and see that your OBD agent is connected. I guess you could log into your home router to check connections.

The agent could not have been logged into any other network because my hotspot was off and my phone was logged into the home network. I don't believe the iPhone allows hotspot connections when it is logged into WiFi anyway.

SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #83
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Correct about the iPhone and another reason I would like to get the agent connected to my home WiFi. Currently, I have to go into iPhone settings and click "forget this network" in order to connect the agent to my iPhone hotspot. Then I have to log back in when I'm done. It's not a huge issue but I have an extra WiFi router that I can set to SSID bottmod3 and be done with it.
My solution to this? Go Android

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #84
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Just to update on my iOS phone taking forever to connect or requiring me to restart the hardware agent (disconnect USB cable).

So over the last few days what I've been doing is starting the hotspot BEFORE opening the car door. If your car is setup like mine then the cars power turns on as soon as you open the door. This makes sure the hotspot is waiting for the hardware agent and not the other way around.

By doing this it's connecting really fast to my hotspot now. Then I just have to wait a few seconds for the agent itself to connect to the car.

Also, if you're on one of the newer iOS versions the phone should automatically disable WiFi when you enable hotspot and vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 05:47 AM   #85
EstorilMSport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Just to follow up I updated my wireless plan to include the hotspot capability, turned it on and everything works perfectly. No luck on home WiFi but I think I’ve moved past it at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #86
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_M4 View Post
Can I use Pi 3? instead of Pi2?
The one required is Pi 3 Model B. Don't use Model B+. Who told you 2?

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #87
Trever007
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Do you guys think a PoE hat or PoE to USB adapter would work to power the Pi from the OBD port through the E-Net cable? This way no other power source is needed for a cleaner install.

https://uk.pi-supply.com/products/pi...r-raspberry-pi

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328417...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #88
GoodtoGo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Doubt it. From Pi POE specs:

Input voltage 36-56V, output voltage 5V, output current 10-1300mA, max output power 6.5W

There is no such voltage source available through OBD to pass through the ENET cable.
Appreciate 0