F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > FTM / TPMS Reset button not working. 328i Xdrive 2014
proTUNING Freaks

01-07-2019, 12:00 AM   #1
say2paul
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Exclamation FTM / TPMS Reset button not working. 328i Xdrive 2014

Before putting this post. I've gone through various posts and tried every possible thing to resolve the issue.

I got a used BMW 328i 2014 xdrive around 1 month ago. Got the Tyres along with alloy wheels replaced with some other BMW, I believe it was 320i.

While changing the wheels i did not know that there are sensors in the Tyres or anything like that.

I am suspecting my car was TPMS and because I changed the Tyres, it is now automatically turned to FTM. I am not sure though, I could be wrong.

Now the display i get on my idrive says FTM and no TPMS.

But i am continously getting this warning for last 2 weeks that my rear wheel on the passenger side is having low pressure and I should go at slow speed or stop the car.

Infact this has also affected my Sport and Eco mode, the car only drives in Comfort mode only. Even if I try to change the mode, it automatically changes back to comfort.

Now the problem here is that when I go to reset the FTM. It does not display the "Perform Reset" button.. Its greyed put, means inactive.. I can't click that.

I tried holding for 30 seconds.. 60 seconds..

Tried at stationery car with and without ignition.. Tried on highway, etc. etc... But I am just unable to click the reset button..

I am stuck please help.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:56 AM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Your car comes with sensors in the wheels. If you don’t have sensors in your new wheels you can not reset that TPMS light. Easy way to find out if you have the sensors is to check the valve stem. If it’s metal you have them, if it’s rubber you don’t.

Also you have to make sure the sensors you have are compatible with your year car.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 05:56 AM   #3
say2paul
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Your car comes with sensors in the wheels. If you don’t have sensors in your new wheels you can not reset that TPMS light. Easy way to find out if you have the sensors is to check the valve stem. If it’s metal you have them, if it’s rubber you don’t.

Also you have to make sure the sensors you have are compatible with your year car.
Thanks buddy, but I guess you did not read my message carefully..

I've mentioned i got the wheels changed.. I don't know what was there in the old wheels and certainly there are no sensors in the new one which I double checked.

Secondly, the iDrive does not say TPMS.. Its just saying FTM only.

My car is BMW 328i 2014 xdrive from Canada.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
Farzad4
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by say2paul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post

Thanks buddy, but I guess you did not read my message carefully..

I've mentioned i got the wheels changed.. I don't know what was there in the old wheels and certainly there are no sensors in the new one which I double checked.

Secondly, the iDrive does not say TPMS.. Its just saying FTM only.

My car is BMW 328i 2014 xdrive from Canada.
i think the sensors came on bmws since 2016 i own a bmw 428i 2015 and it has no sensor and detects low pressure based on the car tyre behavour but u mentioned the reset button is grayed out it might be something wrong and ur sensors are gone and their not cheap
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
say2paul
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farzad4 View Post
i think the sensors came on bmws since 2016 i own a bmw 428i 2015 and it has no sensor and detects low pressure based on the car tyre behavour but u mentioned the reset button is grayed out it might be something wrong and ur sensors are gone and their not cheap
Is there a way to reset?

I also have a Carly OBD device, if there is any wayout i can simply remove this error.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:33 AM   #6
say2paul
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0