F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > X1 N47 loud turbo
ARMA SPEED

01-22-2020, 09:03 AM   #1
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

X1 N47 loud turbo

Hi all,

My wife's X1 (2016 so N47 engine) has (in my opinion) a louder than normal turbo. You can hear it spooling up and the blow off valve with the window down much louder than other 20d engines I've driven.

Also to a degree you can hear it inside the cabin.

It's still under bmw approved used warranty so I took it in yesterday and the tech who went out for a drive with me said it was no louder than he would expect for an N47.

I left it with them and I got a call back saying they had identified an issue with the inlet manifold and that a part needed replacing. They didn't specifically say what.

It was left overnight and I've just collected it today. The employee in service who I dealt with simply handed me the keys and said it's ready to go. When I prompted to ask what part needed replacing, she seemed a bit dismissive and simply said the inlet manifold under warranty...the paper she was holding didn't have much listed on it either, at least not that I could say.

The turbo is still loud and I can't notice any difference in driving the car. If it was the entire manifold which I doubt, I would expect the car to feel a bit quicker as I'd felt it was a bit sluggish from day 1.

I have a suspicious feeling that no real work was done apart from the 'health check' and I was told that there was so I would feel like the problem was solved. e.g. they inspected the turbo and noticed it would probably blow but it would be after our warranty expires (May).

I don't trust the stealers much hence the above - am I just being harsh or could they really have lied and done no work?!

Considering ringing back and asking to talk to the tech directly.

Cheers

Alex
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #2
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Sounds like a split or not properly connected boost pipe but the inlet manifolds on these are also plastic and prone to split.

Does it black smoke at all? If yes then it still has a boost leak somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:59 AM   #3
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

From experience from friends who have worked in service departments, Warranty work is usually something they like to do if they know they will get paid for it. It all goes towards their service figures and is at full price, so if they can change something under warranty, whether it needs it or not, they will normally take the option.

I can't imagine that BMW are any different, but could be wrong, it would be more likely that there was nothing wrong but they changed it anyway as is a known issue and could easily get it done and paid for without BMW arguing the toss with them.

Issues with warranty work only normally occur when they dealer would struggle to justify with the company itself the work, and then it becomes a case of getting it approved first.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

I cant imagine an inlet manifold was in stock given they turned the job round in 24 hours
Appreciate 0