F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Guy at work done a number on my F30
Extreme Powerhouse

01-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Msport

Guy at work done a number on my F30

Was leaving the work car park on New Year's Day and one of my work colleagues just reversed out of a parking bay and went straight into my near site rear wheel arch!
Didn't think it was too bad until I got half a mile down the road when the driving stabilisation error, cruise control error, my steering has strangely become twitchy and no longer straight.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

I think you inform him and your insurance company
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      01-02-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Didn't think it was too bad ?? Well it's not going to polish out.

Insurance job, and seemingly more to it that meets the eye.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Sorry to hear about this OP, hope you get it resolved quickly!

However, to me it's another illustration of why it's far safer to reverse into parking spaces so you can drive out forwards - if I had a fiver for every near miss I've seen due to people reversing out I'd be a rich man! Some companies make it policy to reverse into their parking spaces at work and quite right too IMO...
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN13515.00
Wills28656.00
RobUK2811.00
      01-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Appears to have suspension damage too. That alloy is toe-ing out massively. Insurance is the best way to sort it. What a pain in the backside.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

That looks a right mess! I’d be fuming
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Probably bent suspension components etc. take it to a reputable independent. get a no obligation quote for work. then ask your colleague if he wishes to foot the bill. if no then insurance it is. i may be wrong but no one wins when insurers get involved unless absolute necessary/repair bill is 1000s etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Take it to a dealer and get the work warrantied properly, you won't be paying.
      01-03-2020, 12:53 AM   #9
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Sorry to hear this!

Have you got spacers on? Wheels looks like it's sticking out the arch more then normal so to speak. Wonder if it would of caused less damge to the wheel/suspension if there wasn't a spacer...

Got me thinking as i've got them on mine.

Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 01:41 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Sorry to hear this, shite way to start the new year. I suppose one saving grace was that you were there to witness it. There's every chance that had your car been parked and received this damage, then the culprit may have just left the scene.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:05 AM   #11
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Nasty.

I hope he did the decent thing and owned up to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:43 AM   #12
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Ouch, they mustve given it a right whack, they bent the suspension wishbone by the look of it. Don't drive on it as that amount of toe is dangerous and ripping your tyres apart!

BMW have an accident management facility. Id tell them rather than messing with your insurance. They will get it done at BMW, warrant the work and it shouldn't affect your premiums.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:10 AM   #13
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
Ouch, they mustve given it a right whack, they bent the suspension wishbone by the look of it. Don't drive on it as that amount of toe is dangerous and ripping your tyres apart!

BMW have an accident management facility. Id tell them rather than messing with your insurance. They will get it done at BMW, warrant the work and it shouldn't affect your premiums.
That's what it feels like, i literally drove it home and it stayed there since,
I rung bmw and I'm now using their accident management service.
Mines been collected this morning and the hire car is already here so cant fault so far.
It's going to my dealer to get sorted

I'm gutted though
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:12 AM   #14
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
Sorry to hear this!

Have you got spacers on? Wheels looks like it's sticking out the arch more then normal so to speak. Wonder if it would of caused less damge to the wheel/suspension if there wasn't a spacer...

Yes mate 12mm, what probably didn't help was that the towing eye thread/cover area on the other vehicle was what come in contact with my car so was a solid piece
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:22 AM   #15
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
Sorry to hear this!

Yes mate 12mm, what probably didn't help was that the towing eye thread/cover area on the other vehicle was what come in contact with my car so was a solid piece
which makes me wonder do we have to declare that we have spacers on to the insurers? I had to declare that my car had lowering springs etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:00 AM   #16
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Mines been collected this morning and the hire car is already here so cant fault so far.

I'm gutted though
So sorry this happened to you, what a shame. Hopefully it wasn't a close colleague or worse, one of your superiors.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:02 AM   #17
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm gutted though
So sorry this happened to you, what a shame. Hopefully it wasn't a close colleague or worse, one of your superiors.
Not close but friendly enough. He actually dealt with it well at the scene.
And then ruined it later when he phoned and asked if i was planning on taking any responsibility for the accident, at that point i had no idea what he wanted me to say :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:07 AM   #18
haagm58
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328d Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by haagm58 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I'm gutted though
And then ruined it later when he phoned and asked if i was planning on taking any responsibility for the accident, at that point i had no idea what he wanted me to say :-(
So sorry to hear this, it's the last thing any of us wants to deal with. Hard to believe he assumed you would be taking partial responsibility...you were parked, in a spot, and not in the car. Hopefully it all gets resolved soon and your car can be repaired for little to no money out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:12 AM   #19
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As soon as anyone starts along this line, i.e. shared liability for what sounds clearly like a non-fault incident for you, it sounds the alarm for me.

I hope you took plenty of photos immediately after the incident, not only of the localised damage but also wider shots of car park, the location of your car, the other car, where the other car was parked (i.e. its orientation and distance to your car), whether you had parked across the rear of the other car (i..e. too close), and made lots of notes (were you in the car ? time of day. was it dark/light ? any car park lighting ? did you witness the incident ? where were you stood i.e. did you have clear line of sight ? etc etc).

Claims handlers don't know you, the other driver, the location, etc. The more information you can provide, the better. Any dash cam footage which may have been trigerred while it was in 'parking incident recording' mode, will be invaluable.

I expect the BMW bill will come to a few thousand £ (new rear wing and paint; suspension work; etc), so get liability firmly established in writing before the repairs proceed.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
WTF? How can you take responsibility if you were not in the car? Some people are jokers....(Ah just reread your OP and you were in the car, I guess you hadn't moved at the time of the accident?)
      01-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #21
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I've also just had a re-read. That makes some of my suggested questions irrelevant, but the direction is the same for the OP : provide as much info as possible.

Sounds like the OP was driving and the TP reversed into a moving vehicle. That might muddy the waters a little, but the burden of responsibility tends to be more on the reversing driver to make sure that they are driving with care and attention.

Dash cam footage would be a godsend here.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #22
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

While from the OP's description is sounds like he's not to blame, without conclusive evidence, it feels to me like insurers would probably treat this incident as 50/50, as they tend to with car park dings.

I had someone reverse into me in a car park while I was stationary. I had no dashcam at the time, but I did get an independent witness and I covertly recorded the driver's admission of fault at the scene. Despite all of that, my insurer, Aviva were utterly hopeless and wanted to settle 50/50. I only avoided that by providing the third party insurer with the covert recording and threatening to sue their driver. Consequently they paid up, no thanks to Aviva.
Appreciate 0