F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool feature, find something, learn anything?
Studio RSR

03-16-2018, 03:07 AM   #1607
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I learned that if you toggle the mirror adjustment and set it so that it's not set for the right or left hand mirror but stuck in the middle… that When you put the car in reverse the mirrors will not move.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:27 AM   #1608
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I learned that if you toggle the mirror adjustment and set it so that it's not set for the right or left hand mirror but stuck in the middle… that When you put the car in reverse the mirrors will not move.
If you toggle the switch to the passenger side, it will also remain deactivated. The curb monitor feature is only activated when the switch is slid to the driver’s side.
Appreciate 2
eluded3029.00
      03-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #1609
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Your mirror adjustment has a middle????? That's a cool feature in itself.

As much as it doesn't matter, it still annoys my OCD that it can only be to the left or right on my car.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 2
tex26702411.00
vp59.00
      03-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #1610
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
After you turn the car off and walk away? I would hate that. All the time, I'm in my home's garage and I need something out of the car. If I had to remember to bring my key out to the garage, or unlock the car from in the house, I'd be annoyed. That's why I park my car in the garage. If it's a setting you can toggle on/off, fine.
Keep in mind it takes a rookie about 30 seconds to pop the release, and manually lift up your garage door. They just pull the manually release, and you can lift the door with zero effort.

Just keep that in mind if you store anything of valuable in your car, or if you leave the man door to your garage unlocked.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #1611
Somebloke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLStock View Post
Was trying to save the HP and Torque display
Why take your hand off the steering wheel and "waste" a preset button? You can display it by pressing the voice command button and say "Sports Display".
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #1612
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Keep in mind it takes a rookie about 30 seconds to pop the release, and manually lift up your garage door. They just pull the manually release, and you can lift the door with zero effort.

Just keep that in mind if you store anything of valuable in your car, or if you leave the man door to your garage unlocked.
I don't have an external lock or manual release on my garage door. And an electric garage door opener. So they'd have to break the window at the top of my garage door, directly below my bedroom, then reach in and release the door opener track, then get in the garage and pry open the locked door to the house, then find my keys, then go back out to the garage and take the car. In a neighborhood where tons of people park in the driveway, and probably have their garage door openers in the car (this actually happened in my town last week--an unlocked car in the driveway), so thieves could chose another path with less effort and resistance.

And regardless--I'm fully capable of hitting "LOCK" on my fob if I'm worried about someone breaking into my garage and stealing my car. I don't need the car protecting me from my self by auto locking every time I leave the car--unless there is a setting that I choose to have it do that.

But I appreciate you looking out for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:21 AM   #1613
superjonesy
Rep
Drives: F31

I've just realised my screen doubles up as a touch screen?! This may have been posted, I couldn't read all 74 pages!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #1614
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

"Radio" presets

Quote:
Ok, so instead of "Dial Mom", you say "Dial John Smith". If you drive around all the time with your iPhone charging, I guess the "Hey Siri" method works better for you. I'll just keep tapping the car's voice dial button.

EDIT--ok, I tried this on the way home. I charge my phone in the armrest. So with the windows and sunroof open, I'm screaming "HEY SIRI!!" and getting no response. Plus, most of my calls are to people I call frequently, and are in my call log. I'm assuming the same goes for your GF. I just hit the phone button on the steering wheel, and scroll my call log. So I'll be skipping the Hey Siri thing.
There's seems to be a lot of discussion on what Siri can or cant do. Thought I would add that phone numbers can be added to the 1-8 preset buttons. That way, leave the phone alone, at least for regularly dialed numbers.

Surprising how many people just use it for radio presets. my .02
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #1615
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by saliva View Post
There's seems to be a lot of discussion on what Siri can or cant do. Thought I would add that phone numbers can be added to the 1-8 preset buttons. That way, leave the phone alone, at least for regularly dialed numbers.

Surprising how many people just use it for radio presets. my .02
I have my wife's ##s in the presets.

I'm not sure why you are surprised about how many people use buttons 1-8 only as radio presets. There's a lot of non-thinking that goes on in today's world; people get programed to do certain things one way, and that's the way they do it. They don't stop and think about a different way. I'll give you an example that I saw A LOT when I used to take the train to work, with cars in the station parking lot. Have you ever seen a car with one of those silver sunshades in the front window to protect the dash/steering wheel from getting really hot? Ok--now, have you see one...in the winter? I have--all the time. Wouldn't you WANT the sun to heat your car up during the winter.

PLUS--there's just a lot of people out there that do not embrace, or are just scared of technology and learning how things work. Every day, I see someone holding a cell phone to their face while driving -- or even out in front of their face on speaker. But, with almost any new car today, there's built-in Bluetooth. Are some of those folks purposely not on speaker so other occupants of the car can't hear? Or maybe BT in that car has crappy sound? Maybe--but I can't imagine that's the case for most.

Bottom line--you should not be surprised at all...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #1616
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASHID007 View Post
But while that cover is up it blocks the light and you can't see in the compartment at night.
I replaced the original trunk light with an led strip on a length of cable and attached two magnets on the back.

Now I can move the light to where I want.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      06-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #1617
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith2939 View Post
I replaced the original trunk light with an led strip on a length of cable and attached two magnets on the back.

Now I can move the light to where I want.
That sounds very useful! Do you have any pics of this? I personally just swapped the light out with LED version (same, fixed light), so it's brighter, but non moveable.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #1618
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

The first pic shows it on the edge of the opening, the second shows the original hole with the strip and cable
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #1619
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have my wife's ##s in the presets.

I'm not sure why you are surprised about how many people use buttons 1-8 only as radio presets. There's a lot of non-thinking that goes on in today's world; people get programed to do certain things one way, and that's the way they do it. They don't stop and think about a different way. I'll give you an example that I saw A LOT when I used to take the train to work, with cars in the station parking lot. Have you ever seen a car with one of those silver sunshades in the front window to protect the dash/steering wheel from getting really hot? Ok--now, have you see one...in the winter? I have--all the time. Wouldn't you WANT the sun to heat your car up during the winter.

PLUS--there's just a lot of people out there that do not embrace, or are just scared of technology and learning how things work. Every day, I see someone holding a cell phone to their face while driving -- or even out in front of their face on speaker. But, with almost any new car today, there's built-in Bluetooth. Are some of those folks purposely not on speaker so other occupants of the car can't hear? Or maybe BT in that car has crappy sound? Maybe--but I can't imagine that's the case for most.

Bottom line--you should not be surprised at all...

The "sun shades" people use in winter actually help to keep the heat in the cabin. There are two sides to those shades both have different surfaces
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      06-06-2018, 02:46 PM   #1620
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarBimmer View Post
The "sun shades" people use in winter actually help to keep the heat in the cabin. There are two sides to those shades both have different surfaces
Is that how they advertise those?

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...MaAld7EALw_wcB

https://www.weathertech.com/techshade/

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Windshiel.../dp/B01I90VP0G

Maybe there's some special high-end product that helps trap the heat? The ones I see look just like these ones which say nothing about keeping the car warm in winter.

Perhaps they do?--but have you ever been in a greenhouse? Not sure the car windows need any boost from a "sun shade".

Look--I get you may use it in Phoenix all year round--that makes perfect sense.

Last edited by tex2670; 06-06-2018 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #1621
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Is that how they advertise those?

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...MaAld7EALw_wcB

https://www.weathertech.com/techshade/

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Windshiel.../dp/B01I90VP0G

Maybe there's some special high-end product that helps trap the heat? The ones I see look just like these ones which say nothing about keeping the car warm in winter.

Perhaps they do?--but have you ever been in a greenhouse? Not sure the car windows need any boost from a "sun shade".

Look--I get you may use it in Phoenix all year round--that makes perfect sense.
Two quotes from your second link:
"Its dual-purpose design helps keep vehicles cool in the summer, and in the winter, also helps warm up interiors and avert frost build-up."
"In those freezing winter months, flip the TechShade around to its dark surface and it will help attract the sunlight, warm up your vehicle's windshield/interior and avert frost build up."
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #1622
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
"In those freezing winter months, flip the TechShade around to its dark surface and it will help attract the sunlight"
Attract the sunlight?
Appreciate 1
tex26702411.00
      06-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #1623
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Two quotes from your second link:
"Its dual-purpose design helps keep vehicles cool in the summer, and in the winter, also helps warm up interiors and avert frost build-up."
"In those freezing winter months, flip the TechShade around to its dark surface and it will help attract the sunlight, warm up your vehicle's windshield/interior and avert frost build up."
If you want to spend $50 to help "heat up" your car in the winter with this, be my guest
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #1624
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Not sure if old news..fast.double tap voice command button mutes music. Then double tap to unmute
Press the volume button to mute and pause Sirius xm radio.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #1625
maxdobe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublep View Post
Here's the updated summary for your viewing pleasure.
Awesome DoubleP. Thank you for doing that!

Is the original post above from 2017 (with the PDF link) still the latest n greatest compilation?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 07:00 PM   #1626
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post

I refuse to be that paranoid. Also,the auto lock can be turned off on the mdx.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #1627
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
I refuse to be that paranoid. Also,the auto lock can be turned off on the mdx.
Happens all the time, it's not being paranoid.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #1628
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
I prefer to keep my center display turned off as much as possible. Unfortunately we don't have a dedicated on/off button for the center display, but you can program any of the 1-9 buttons to act as one! Simply press OPTION on any page, then highlight the selection that turns off the display. Finally, press and hold any of the 1-9 buttons until it captures that function.

Whichever 1-9 button you chose will now serve as an on/off button for the center display.
Appreciate 0