F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
Extreme Powerhouse

11-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #991
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 420d G.C Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri View Post
just for others to find more easy, changing Dashboard from kmh to mph is done at factory_config.xml

Code:
<!-- Dashboard unit  0:Metric  1:Imperial -->
        <DashBoardUnit>0</DashBoardUnit>
Oh and we can use a second tile for our own app`s, the DVR App is also changeable via factory_config.xml
The Appname needs to be added here

Code:
 <!-- List of supported DVR applications -->
    <SupportDvrAppList>
        <Item name = "com.ankai.cardvr" />
        <Item name = "com.anwensoft.cardvr" />
        <Item name = "com.sicadroid.ucam_car" />
        <Item name = "com.building.dvr" />
    </SupportDvrAppList>
And the active app then here

Code:
 <!-- USB DVR application names  Default: Ankai (Valid when the DVR module type is USB DVR) Old: com.anwensoft.cardvr  New: com.ankai.cardvr -->
        <DVRApk_PackageName>com.ankai.cardvr</DVRApk_PackageName
DVR Type has to be set to USB
Maybe the app selection will see a choice button like music app selection soon

Oh, and i checked the source code a little bit further and found out that the Bootanimation.zip can now also be importet like the splash.img, so without need of root.

just put your bootanimation.zip into the /OEM/ folder of your thumbstick and wait until the message "Boot Animation has modified" does appear.

Cool stuff, i ordered two calbes for me

I found some other hidden Setting string called, "LKT", but don`t know yet that this shortcut is.
I also found where the settings are stored but they are open at android, so not able to save them away yet.

if someone could share an NBT and NBT-EVO MCU Update for Snapdragon, this would be

There is already a wiki at Github see here: https://chinesebmwheadunits.github.io/

You can do pull requests, i barely have time to do my own wiki stuff, but activating them should go fast.
Or ask jspuij to geht some more permissions

Chri
Hi guys, I tried to modify the factory.xml file by adding the string to make Android Auto appear as a navigation option, but when I insert the usb key with the modified file, it doesn't recognize it ....
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 03:45 PM   #992
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper, 2020 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marakeh View Post
i think i bricked my unit with rooting.

last time i used

adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon&

instead of
adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon"&"

at least with the rk3399 i would strongly advice to use

adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon"&"

when following any rooting guide

i i can not get it to reflash trough usb ill have to unmount and see if i can get it to work through the otg connection :/
adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon& -> this is exactly how I ended up in the spring. I got out of it like this: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=2428 (px6 Android 8.1)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:37 AM   #993
marakeh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D

nice, should be a good warning for RK based PX devices.

did you bridge the pins after removing the otg connector or did you leave them open?

if you leave the resistor off, can you still use the usb port for data?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:12 AM   #994
cederron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post

On a side note, We should make a wiki for all this stuff if lots of people are getting these head units. Would anyone have interest in this?
I could self host the wiki for all of us. That way we have a comprehensive list of must do options / settings per unit, host firmwares ( all versions in one spot labeled etc etc ).

I can put this together pretty quickly if you guys are interested, I cant populate all info but I could def host and create it.

What about https://github.com/chinesebmwheadunits ?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #995
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cederron View Post
I wasnt aware of this at first Now I know.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #996
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
nice, should be a good warning for RK based PX devices.

did you bridge the pins after removing the otg connector or did you leave them open?

if you leave the resistor off, can you still use the usb port for data?
I connected a 10 Ohm resistor with a wire to the miniature switch on the back cover of the unit...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #997
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitesite View Post
I somehow managed to get mine to MPH!

Played about with a lot of different settings, but I think changing the units from metric/imperial may have done it.

Also, changed the default maps app to Android Auto to save going into Apps>Manually selecting from my screen.

Added this line to factory_config.xml under SupportNaviAppList

<item name = "com.google.android.projection.gearhead" />

Anyone can help me?
I modify the factory.xml but the system doesn't recognize the update...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #998
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantio View Post
Anyone can help me?
I modify the factory.xml but the system doesn't recognize the update...
When you have a factory.xml then you probably have a PX6 Headunit, not Snapdragon.

at PX6 HU your navigation applications are stored within the mapApkLst.txt which has to be at the OEM folder.
you need to add your application there.

Chri
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #999
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
When you have a factory.xml then you probably have a PX6 Headunit, not Snapdragon.

at PX6 HU your navigation applications are stored within the mapApkLst.txt which has to be at the OEM folder.
you need to add your application there.

Chri
No, i'm sure that i have the Snapdragon unit, also i have already update the last Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v3.0.8-ota.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #1000
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
how to get google voice activation working system wide.

problem: "ok google" only working in google maps & assistant but not in dashboard.

problem source:
google app not installed as system app
inside the google app -> more settings -> voice -> voice match > "access with voice match" is greyed out and can not be toggled on.

solution: move app to system

requires root
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=740

adb connect IPort
adb root
adb connect IPort
adb remount
adb shell mv /data/app/com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox* /system/priv-app/
adb reboot

enable voice match.

-> now you can use "ok google" everywhere.
Well I tried gaining root access just to move that google app to system but I just kept getting 10061 Error, the destination denied connecting. I had set persist.adb.tcp.port 5555 and sys.rkadb.root 1 from a terminal emulator on my Android HU but it doesn't work. Restarting the Android sets sys.rkadb.root back to 0
I'll try to look into it more, there should be a solution to it.

Got it all working now! Much thanks! Glad I didn't have to fully root it just for that tiny tweak

Last edited by Frankly30; 11-06-2019 at 08:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:58 PM   #1001
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
No, i'm sure that i have the Snapdragon unit, also i have already update the last Ksw-P-Userdebug_OS_v3.0.8-ota.
then you need to use factory_config.xml, not factory.xml.

Chri
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:18 PM   #1002
Adamantio
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
then you need to use factory_config.xml, not factory.xml.

Chri
Yes sorry, i modify the factory_config.xml, but not work, the unit doesn't recognize the update
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:08 AM   #1003
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Yes sorry, i modify the factory_config.xml, but not work, the unit doesn't recognize the update
Can you append your file here as zip? i want to check

Chri
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:31 AM   #1004
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

One question - factory_config file is vendor specific , since I see vendor information specifying certain MCU ?
I have a vendor which does not provide this file and I want to edit it .Can I get file from update ROM or from unit ? I can not seem to find it with ES Explorer.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:05 AM   #1005
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman5705 View Post
One question - factory_config file is vendor specific , since I see vendor information specifying certain MCU ?
I have a vendor which does not provide this file and I want to edit it .Can I get file from update ROM or from unit ? I can not seem to find it with ES Explorer.
normally they are not really vendor specific.

If Snapdragon you can find your local copy of the file under "/mnt/vendor/persist/OEM/factory_config.xml"

but to get access to this file you need to have R/W access to the partition, which ES Explorer normally doesn`t have.

either copy it via adb to your internal sdcard folder, or access the device via a PC over a Browser which is capable of adb (Total Commander + adb plugin).

Chri

Last edited by Kri; 11-06-2019 at 02:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2019, 02:28 AM   #1006
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
open factory_config.xml using IExplorer, it should look similar to first pic.

if it looks like second pic,

edit it again without errors...

Last edited by smahel; 10-18-2023 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:37 AM   #1007
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
normally they are not really vendor specific.

If Snapdragon you can find your local copy of the file under "/mnt/vendor/persist/OEM/factory_config.xml"

but to get access to this file you need to have R/W access to the partition, which ES Explorer normally doesn`t have.

either copy it via adb to your internal sdcard folder, or access the device via a PC over a Browser which is capable of adb (Total Commander + adb plugin).

Chri
thank you very much - will try
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #1008
Cn_flame
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Hey guys, does anyone know if these provide a decent sound quality?

Last I checked these headunits were horrendous for music especially when paired with HK audio.

That's my main concern when considering this upgrade.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #1009
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cn_flame View Post
Hey guys, does anyone know if these provide a decent sound quality?

Last I checked these headunits were horrendous for music especially when paired with HK audio.

That's my main concern when considering this upgrade.

Thanks!
At Google Play Store there is an App called "XTREMEMusic™" , they write it does support Snapdragon Hexagon DSP, maybe someone can try this ?

Chri

Last edited by Kri; 11-06-2019 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:57 AM   #1010
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
At Google Play Store there is an App called "XTREMEMusic™" , they write it does support Snapdragon Hexagon DSP, maybe someone can try this ?

Chri
Cool im going to try this because "CN_Flame" above is correct, Playing the same track / same file on the iDrive side off my iphone via 3.5 mm vs the Android side via USB is not even comparable as the volume goes up. Its just missing the dynamics / bass.. It sounds ok, My wife doesn't hear a difference but to me and others that have done many stereo builds over the years its very noticeable.

Another thing I want to comment on... These units install with ease, The Chinese mfr's making these did a great job with fit/finish & even the harness's work
good. They also made a pretty good copy of the BMW design in the OS and how they integrate with the CANBUS... Its just the Audio Quality Issues...

This is something I cant figure out, If they can do something this close to perfect why isnt ALPINE / PIONEER / SONY etc etc doing the same? They have been
building electronics for 100 years why are they not jumping in? There is no way they cant do it better if they wanted to, Is it a licensing thing or royalties etc?

This unit with top level guts would be stellar.

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 11-06-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #1011
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
This is something I cant figure out, If they can do something this close to perfect why isnt ALPINE / PIONEER / SONY etc etc doing the same? They have been
building electronics for 100 years why are they not jumping in? There is no way they cant do it better if they wanted to, Is it a licensing thing or royalties etc?

This unit with top level guts would be stellar.
It's a matter of costs and market. How many % of people owning a bmw spends nearly 400 euros for his aftermarket headunit when idrive works pretty well for almost 90% of people out there? It's a 10%, and I think I overstimated. That's enough these days for a big company to not event try to develope this type of product.

Moreover, chinese oem use low cost electronics, no original design (I'm talking about board, software ecc) and almost no support, for an eom like sony/alpine ecc this could be impossibile. They whould need licenses, development and research budget, and a real support. I think it simply doesn't worth the money.

The chinese business is much more "agile" and low cost, they could launch a board with a canbus interpreter, a software developed in a garage and almost forget about it. Notice that the upgrades we're getting are from the board manufacturer, not by the headunit manufacturer, it's like samsung/lg/sony mobile devices to get support directly from qualcomm instead of the respective brands.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 10:18 AM   #1012
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep

In my case audio is pretty acceptable . I would say 85% of original system . Original system is HIFI on F10 , coded in L7 surrond . Of course it is not really like L7 , but 11 speakers(from original HIFI system) in the car, boosted volume and frequencies add something .
I have to mention that I have disconnected AUX port in armrest and lowered volume in Android unit to about 20.
Appreciate 0