F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
Studio RSR

11-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #1255
cederron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceX58 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm back with a new version of my dimming application.

List of features :

- Android service. The app will start an Android service so it can control the brightness whenever the UI is not displayed
- Day/Night mode brightness
- Steering wheel control support
- Automatic brightness switch (sunrise/sunset) based on time and location
- Display main UI on startup. You can choose to display the main interface at startup
- Configurable presets (thanks to Shrazy for the idea
- Idrive knob integration. You can use the Idrive knob to select and activate a preset

Considerations :

- It has been designed for my PX6 Android 8.1. I have no guarantee it will work on Snapdragon or Android 9 units.
- The steering wheel controls will NOT work fine if you start the default music app. I'm using the steering wheel scroll wheel to adjust the dimming, so if the default music app has been started it will also change the current playing track...
- I can't guarantee the serial port used by your unit will be the same number than mine. I can add a config menu in the future.

Using the steering wheel scroll button :

- Increase the dimming by scrolling up the wheel scroll button
- Decrease the dimming by scrolling down the wheel scroll button
- Switch day/night mode by clicking the wheel scroll button

Using Broadcast Intent :

I added a broadcast intent so you can control the dimming using you own application (or Tasker, Automate, etc...)
The action string is :

Code:
ovh.msinfo.RACEX_DIMMING_ACTION
There are 2 extras :
Code:
Name --> ovh.msinfo.RACEX_DIMMING_EXTRA_PERCENT
Type --> Integer
Values --> 0-100
Code:
Name --> ovh.msinfo.RACEX_DIMMING_EXTRA_DAY_NIGHT
Type --> Integer
Values --> 1
What next ?

I have some work to do on the design of the interface. I'm not very good when it comes to create interfaces. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Donate :

If you wish you can make me a donation : https://www.paypal.me/racex58

Download link :

RaceX Dimming Service v1.11

RaceX58

Donation done, keep up the good work buddy
Appreciate 1
RaceX5854.00
      11-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #1256
Kuj0n
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 320xdA B47

Quote:
Hey guys,

Tested on e91 with snapdragon, unfortunately shows that can't connect with mcu...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #1257
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Hey guys,

RaceX58
i installed your app !
It works fine for now.
But it does not change the brightness if you change the night mode slider.
It defaults to 20% .
How can you set the default night mode brightness to a higher level ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #1258
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by daschacka View Post
Newest Update file for Snapdragon Units:
https://mega.nz/#!r8MCQITK!Gth6TXTg4...ZbXt5kEC08D5No
You didn't get a new MCU file?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:56 AM   #1259
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
daschacka do you have a fitting factory_config.xml for this update ?

I checked the source-code and found a new feature called "ecar" but it seems to require a entry at the factory_config.xml, at least i found the entry there.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #1260
daschacka
Private
Rep
Drives: M5Competition

The mcus and the factory_config.xml files that are provided by my supplier are from 29/08/2019. They havent changed since 2.8.3 i guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:58 PM   #1261
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Quote:
The mcus and the factory_config.xml files that are provided by my supplier are from 29/08/2019. They havent changed since 2.8.3 i guess.
Ok, then they probably even don`t know the new features

I checked the source code, and found a couple of changes again.
First the Build.prop to see what version it is exactly:

Code:
ro.vendor.build.date=Fri Nov 8 04:10:12 CST 2019
ro.vendor.build.date.utc=1573157412
ro.vendor.build.fingerprint=Android/msm8953_64/msm8953_64:9/PKQ1.190202.001/11080410:userdebug/test-keys
So the image is from 8th November 2019.

Now to the more important stuff, the following list is my interpretation of stuff/code changes i found.
so it may be correct, but something also may be wrong.

* First of all, the main update to this seems to be GUI related.
There are three new GUI`s within this image, MBUX, MB_GT6, and GS_UG.
The first two are obviously Mercedes gui`s, the third one is some kind of BMW ID7 Spin-Off.

changes found from 3.0.8 to 3.3.5:

To activate them you need to add a couple lines to the Factory_config.xml
This for example is how i added them:
Code:
<SupportUIList>
        <Item id="1" name = "BMW_EVO_ID5" />
        <Item id="2" name = "BMW_EVO_ID6" />
        <Item id="5" name = "BMW_EVO_ID7" />   
        <Item id="8" name = "Common_UI_GS" />
	<Item id="10" name = "Benz_MBUX" />
	<Item id="11" name = "Benz_NTG6" />
	<Item id="12" name = "Common_UI_GS_UG" />
The ID Numbers don`t really matter at snapdragon`s, the important thing is the name.

* The second thing is, that Bootimage Selecting is now fully implemented
You can now select between different images or import a new one.
However they removed four images which where present at update 308.
so if you want to add an image you need to create a splash.img file.
How to create your own Splash file is described HERE.

For replacing the bootanimation you still need to put your animation file into the OEM folder of your thumbdrive, it will be then imported into /cache/ then, so no root necessary for this.

* Then there also have been made alot of changes to the Bluetooh App, it seems they have splitted some part of the code, probably because of the Benz GUI`S but also addes some stuff.
There are changes at the virtual-Key input methods, i don`t have a Iphone, maybe it`S idrive related, need to be checked
There is also a updated at the Phone Calling history list, and some kind of Powermanagement code of the BT module.

* The language translations have also been updated, some german translations are better now again.

* It seems they a working on implementing a new app called ECAR SOS
for what i found out it seems to have following Features:

* Online / Phone Helpdesk Service with Callback Service
* Message Center
* Fault Check
* Emergency Camera ?
* Road Rescue (breakdown service)
* Accident Assistant
* Vip Service ?
* Tired chat , Somebody will talk to you to stay awake
* Private Doctor
* ect.
Below a screenshot is also attached

* New carplayzlink.apk at preinstall folder , Version 3.5.6

this is what i found so far.

Kri
Attached Images

Last edited by Kri; 12-12-2019 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 4
Mjam133.50
lehtee144.00
      11-26-2019, 03:07 PM   #1262
j2112
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidschu View Post
Has anyone gotten an aftermarket camera to work with their android screen? I purchased the avin Android 9.0 screen and got the backup camera with it.

When I installed the screen I did a quick test with the backup camera as pictured below in the interior of my car. I did this with a very quick hand twisted connection to see if I would get signal from the backup camera. It was very choppy and going in and out but I figured that was because i didn't connect the wires very well.

A month later I got the time to run the wire through the interior and hook up the camera. I'm not getting any signal now. I tried multiple times to redo the connections and I'm still getting nothing.

The wires that I had to splice together were different gauge which doesn't seem right but those are the wires they provide. Also on the diagram they provide, the small black wire they say not to connect to anything. Should this wire be grounded? Any other tips would be appreciated
Mine is the same, and although I see someone has recommended grounding the unused black wire (which I will try tomorrow), I have another question.
In the current state do you get a change of display when you select reverse gear? Even without the camera actually connected / working? Although the oem side works as normal, the android side on mine doesn’t change.
Appreciate 1
Frankly30137.00
      11-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #1263
Sergii
Rep
Drives: F31 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pascal- View Post
I have a PX6 and no problems with GPS, but I use the BMW GPS antenna in the back of my car.
How is wiring goes through your car?
I have F31 with gps antenna in the back. I'm wondering how difficult to pass antenna through the car.

Do you have GPS antenna splitter? Or did you just disconnect native navigation system?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #1264
Sergii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pascal- View Post
I got a manual from seller for fixing the problem with noise in navigation voice. He means that the problem is the center speaker. Don't ask me why... I don't know.

Here is the URL for the download: https://gofile.io/?c=fVzPxV

Someone here who would like to try it?
I had the same problem. My seller suggested me to "adjust" the harness first. But later agreed to send me new harness with wires for the front speaker. It solved the problem.

Try to ask your seller for same.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #1265
Sergii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc View Post
they sent the same thing to me weeks ago. DO NOT DO IT. I did (not cutting, but tampering the connector so it's fully reversible) and ended up with the opposite scenario: your navigation will not talk until you start the original music app.

IT IS a software bug but they can't/wan't talk to people who developed the software to fix it, apparently. The original multimedia apps apparently starts a service that fix the audio routing. They didn't do it as a service, they did all embebdded in the app. Typical of chinese software developers hamsters.
Can't completely agree with you. New harness helped me. Check my previous reply.

But also I was able to temporary fix distortion with turning on music player first. So it's difficult to understand what is the real reason. But changing cable really helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 04:34 PM   #1266
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergii View Post
Can't completely agree with you. New harness helped me. Check my previous reply.

But also I was able to temporary fix distortion with turning on music player first. So it's difficult to understand what is the real reason. But changing cable really helps.
do you have any picture of this harness? As explained, in my case the mod only inverted the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 10:32 PM   #1267
Davidschu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2112 View Post
Quote:
Has anyone gotten an aftermarket camera to work with their android screen? I purchased the avin Android 9.0 screen and got the backup camera with it.

When I installed the screen I did a quick test with the backup camera as pictured below in the interior of my car. I did this with a very quick hand twisted connection to see if I would get signal from the backup camera. It was very choppy and going in and out but I figured that was because i didn't connect the wires very well.

A month later I got the time to run the wire through the interior and hook up the camera. I'm not getting any signal now. I tried multiple times to redo the connections and I'm still getting nothing.

The wires that I had to splice together were different gauge which doesn't seem right but those are the wires they provide. Also on the diagram they provide, the small black wire they say not to connect to anything. Should this wire be grounded? Any other tips would be appreciated
Mine is the same, and although I see someone has recommended grounding the unused black wire (which I will try tomorrow), I have another question.
In the current state do you get a change of display when you select reverse gear? Even without the camera actually connected / working? Although the oem side works as normal, the android side on mine doesn’t change.
It only didn't work the first night I connected the camera. Then in the morning I tried again and grounded the black wire and it worked. Then to see if that actually mattered I disconnected the black wire and it still worked. So I left it without the black wire connected to anything and it's been working fine for the last two days.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:12 AM   #1268
-pascal-
Rep
Drives: 1 series/F20 (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergii View Post
How is wiring goes through your car?
I have F31 with gps antenna in the back. I'm wondering how difficult to pass antenna through the car.

Do you have GPS antenna splitter? Or did you just disconnect native navigation system?
I don't have BMW navigation system, only ConnectedDrive. That's the reason why my BMW gps antenna is connected in the back of my car and not with the radio in the front.

I am using a FAKRA splitter in the back and a extension cable which connects android system with splitter. The extension cable is under the luggage space and goes on the co-driver side to the front.

With the splitter I can use ConnectedDrive and android navigation. It finds the GPS signal very quick, maybe 3 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 01:22 AM   #1269
j2112
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Quote:
It only didn't work the first night I connected the camera. Then in the morning I tried again and grounded the black wire and it worked. Then to see if that actually mattered I disconnected the black wire and it still worked. So I left it without the black wire connected to anything and it's been working fine for the last two days.
Nice one!
Did the screen change beforehand though? Or did nothing at all happen until you grounded the camera?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 02:17 AM   #1270
RaceX58
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cederron View Post
Donation done, keep up the good work buddy
Thanks a lot buddy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuj0n View Post
Tested on e91 with snapdragon, unfortunately shows that can't connect with mcu...
Could you please share your EventService.apk with me? You can use an application like 'APK Extractor' to extract the EventService.pak and share it.
With it I can be able to find which serial port is used by snapdragon units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
i installed your app !
It works fine for now.
But it does not change the brightness if you change the night mode slider.
It defaults to 20% .
How can you set the default night mode brightness to a higher level ?
Can you please give me more details? To adjust the night mode brightness you have to go to the settings then move the slider. But I'm sure you've already done this.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 02:23 AM   #1271
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot buddy !

Can you please give me more details? To adjust the night mode brightness you have to go to the settings then move the slider. But I'm sure you've already done this.
You mean in your app settings or in Android settings?
In your app settings if you move night mode slider nothing happens.
If you go in Android settings the brightness is set if it is night at 20% by default and there you can change it.

The problem is why the slider in your app does not change brightness.
It does change if you enable the steering wheel buttons though.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 03:55 AM   #1272
Shrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Thanks a lot buddy !

Dear RaceX58 unfortunately I have to tell you that your app doesn't work on PX6 Android 9 (can not connect to MCU)

Is there any opportunity to make it work somehow?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 04:23 AM   #1273
mattmanslim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

My seller has sent me v 3.3.8 for my snapdragon unit. I will share this on here later today.
Appreciate 2
Kri1083.50
Mjam133.50
      11-27-2019, 05:01 AM   #1274
RaceX58
Rep

Quote:
You mean in your app settings or in Android settings?
In your app settings if you move night mode slider nothing happens.
If you go in Android settings the brightness is set if it is night at 20% by default and there you can change it.

The problem is why the slider in your app does not change brightness.
It does change if you enable the steering wheel buttons though.
Oh I think I start to understand ! Let me try to explain :

Setting day and night mode brightness ?

In the app settings you can set a brightness value for day mode and night mode.
It means that when the app switch from day to night mode it will set the brightness to the night value. And when the app switch from night to day mode it will set the brightness to the day value.

Switching day/night mode ?

There are 3 methods to switch between mode :

- If you enable 'Automatic brightness' in the settings, the app will switch automatically between day and night mode according to the sunset/sunrise of your location.
- If you enable 'Steering wheel support' in the settings, you can click the steering wheel scrool wheel button to switch between day/night mode.
- If you use an application like Tasker or Automate you can use Android Brodcast Intents to switch between mode.

You can also set different presets according to the weather conditions (sunny, cloudy, etc...)

I hope it is more clear for you now. Let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post
Dear RaceX58 unfortunately I have to tell you that your app doesn't work on PX6 Android 9 (can not connect to MCU)

Is there any opportunity to make it work somehow?
Can you share your EventService.apk with me? You can use 'APK Extractor' on the Google Play to extract and share apk.

RaceX58
Appreciate 1
Shrazy12.00
      11-27-2019, 05:07 AM   #1275
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Oh I think I start to understand ! Let me try to explain :

Setting day and night mode brightness ?

In the app settings you can set a brightness value for day mode and night mode.
It means that when the app switch from day to night mode it will set the brightness to the night value. And when the app switch from night to day mode it will set the brightness to the day value.

Switching day/night mode ?

There are 3 methods to switch between mode :

- If you enable 'Automatic brightness' in the settings, the app will switch automatically between day and night mode according to the sunset/sunrise of your location.
- If you enable 'Steering wheel support' in the settings, you can click the steering wheel scrool wheel button to switch between day/night mode.
- If you use an application like Tasker or Automate you can use Android Brodcast Intents to switch between mode.

You can also set different presets according to the weather conditions (sunny, cloudy, etc...)

I hope it is more clear for you now. Let me know.

Can you share your EventService.apk with me? You can use 'APK Extractor' on the Google Play to extract and share apk.

RaceX58
i understand that
But my car has no click steering wheel button to make the switch so when i move the night mode slider i cannot know what level of brightness the app uses, unless i wait for the automatic mode to make the change.
when you move the slider it does not show a value of current brightness that you choose.
to be more specific . when you change the brightness from steering wheel buttons it says brightness 10% , 20% , 30% etc.
You set the value that you need , but on next change the app will set the value from the slider again.
Could you put an indicator in the slider that measures the brightness?
I am trying to explain but is a bit difficult.
Can you understand me?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:20 AM   #1276
RaceX58
Rep

Quote:
i understand that
But my car has no click steering wheel button to make the switch so when i move the night mode slider i cannot know what level of brightness the app uses, unless i wait for the automatic mode to make the change.
when you move the slider it does not show a value of current brightness that you choose.
to be more specific . when you change the brightness from steering wheel buttons it says brightness 10% , 20% , 30% etc.
You set the value that you need , but on next change the app will set the value from the slider again.
Could you put an indicator in the slider that measures the brightness?
I am trying to explain but is a bit difficult.
Can you understand me?
Oh ok I understand. You're right, there is no indicator for the selected brightness value in the settings for the moment. Thats's something I have to work on.
If it can help you, the sliders go from 0 to 100. It may help until I update the app.

For my part I've set the night mode to 0 % on my unit. It's s still bright enough for me.
Appreciate 0