F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Anyone getting the new iPhone 11 or Pro?
ARMA SPEED

09-26-2019, 02:32 AM   #111
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Credit card on PayPal - I didn't think that was covered under the consumer protection thing as PP is the primary payment mechanism.

Could be wrong but I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere with people relying on credit card protection for PayPal purchases.
I think you are correct - you cant raise a charge back on your credit card if using Paypal (via your Credit card) as your dispute isnt with Paypal but with the eBay seller.

I tried this once and failed - when there was a 10% off eBay promo - which on the app it applied - but my Credit card had been charged the full amount - Paypal refused my claim - saying it was a timing thing (the promo code ended at 8pm and i purchased just after this) and my Credit card company said i gave the money to Paypal not eBay (even thought they are the same!!)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:32 AM   #112
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Credit card on PayPal - I didn't think that was covered under the consumer protection thing as PP is the primary payment mechanism.

Could be wrong but I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere with people relying on credit card protection for PayPal purchases.
Paypal protection is much better than credit card anyway, we’ve tried and failed to claim on credit card before, they will only reimburse you if it was an unauthorised transaction. Paypal have always refunded us no matter what the issue was.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 12:48 AM   #113
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Yes it is much much better, worth the upgrade just for that.

I'd still prefer touch id though, will be a good excuse to get next years new iPhone no doubt!
Midnight Green pro delivered last night & up and running on IOS 13.1.2. Coming from a 6 it's quite an update.

First impressions of Face ID - very quick (NB: i'm not comparing it to anything before) but a little annoying as you have to swipe up to get in (Touch ID unlocked and opened the home screen). Think I'm going to miss touch ID - I suspect it's just a matter of time before they embed it into the screen.
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      10-01-2019, 03:27 AM   #114
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

not a big fun of Apple but have new 11 Pro and camera and battery are big improvements. Everything else is pants thats why they try to lock new users throwing in 1 year apple TV free and other bits :P
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:31 AM   #115
aquazi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
Midnight Green pro delivered last night & up and running on IOS 13.1.2. Coming from a 6 it's quite an update.

First impressions of Face ID - very quick (NB: i'm not comparing it to anything before) but a little annoying as you have to swipe up to get in (Touch ID unlocked and opened the home screen). Think I'm going to miss touch ID - I suspect it's just a matter of time before they embed it into the screen.
I've just got a Galaxy S10 work phone - which has the screen touch id.. and tbh i doubt apple would bring touch id back - after it has invested/ perfected the faceid thing.

The screen touch id on the samsung isnt as responsive as my old IP7 button or even my old Galaxy S6.....

Dont get me wrong i do prefer the touch id over face ID - but i think for Apple that ship has sailed!

Also looking for a screen protector for my Galaxy - pretty limited what will work with it - no cheapo eBay knockoffs that i can find!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:46 AM   #116
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Having had mine (11 Pro 256GB in Midnight Green) for a week now I thought I would add my experiences.

Battery life - a decent step up from the iPhone 8. I just charge at night and rarely get it below 50%, despite running my 8 very low with the same usage. The online reviews do suggest that the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max are a big step up from the XS / XS Max (and all earlier models) in this respect. The 11 Pro Max seems to do slightly better than the 11 Pro as expected (approx 7:45 hours vs 7:30 hours) in the constant usage reviews.

Face ID - I wasn't looking forward to the switch from Touch ID, but it's not at all bad on this generation of phones. It opens from a good distance and a good range of angles. Even in my F30 Belkin cup holder car mount, it can see my face well enough to open. I would still take Touch ID given the choice, but that's probably an iPhone 12/13 thing.

Cameras - these are a major improvement from the already very good iPhone 8. The new zoom feature is really good. Yet to do anything very challenging. Works very well in low light.

Processor speed/general - in this respect the 8 was still absolutely fine. Even the 6S which has just been passed down to my son is still pretty quick. The power of the 11 Pro is far beyond what I need, but given that we keep iPhones for 6 years within the family, the speed will probably be necessary with iOS 18! If we didn't pass phones between family members, I would probably buy a new one every 5 years instead of 2.

Size - the 11 Pro is as big as I want to go for now. The extra screen size, coming from an 8 feels perfectly adequate. A little odd when you look at earlier models to think this is now Apple's smallest current generation phone!

Screen - the screen is excellent, but then to me even the 11 with its LCD screen is very similar. I'm not convinced that OLED makes that much of a difference here, particularly as we tend to look at photos on an iPad. On reflection an 11 (non Pro) would have been absolutely fine for me, although the battery life is less good in the tests.

Risk - I do wonder if the 11 Pro with its distinctive 3 camera arrangement will end up being a big theft target. It does seem a bit crazy to have a Ł1000+ device in your hand or pocket in a public place. Time will tell I guess...
Appreciate 1
zofinger319.00
      10-01-2019, 09:26 AM   #117
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
Quote:

I've just got a Galaxy S10 work phone - which has the screen touch id.. and tbh i doubt apple would bring touch id back - after it has invested/ perfected the faceid thing.

The screen touch id on the samsung isnt as responsive as my old IP7 button or even my old Galaxy S6.....

Dont get me wrong i do prefer the touch id over face ID - but i think for Apple that ship has sailed!

Also looking for a screen protector for my Galaxy - pretty limited what will work with it - no cheapo eBay knockoffs that i can find!
The Galaxy touch ID is known for being slow, the one on the Huawei P30 Pro is meant to be much quicker apparently.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:31 AM   #118
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I was actually in Apple spending more money today, dropped my Apple Watch 4 on the bathroom floor this morning and obliterated the screen!! Staggeringly they can't replace the screen glass, they can only replace the watch, for £340!!

So I bought a Series 5, with Applecare+ this time!

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/05hVrzjs/E753-B...-BF8-D9509.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #119
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Risk - I do wonder if the 11 Pro with its distinctive 3 camera arrangement will end up being a big theft target. It does seem a bit crazy to have a Ł1000+ device in your hand or pocket in a public place. Time will tell I guess...
Genuine question....Are Iphones still being stolen nowadays? Before the need to sign into Apple (with multi-authentication) in order to reset a device you're locked out of, thefts were rife. But assumed they had dropped as i assume a locked phone isn't of use to anyone but the most sophisticated person who may be able to break it down (sell for parts/precious metals) or hack into to it?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #120
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
I was actually in Apple spending more money today, dropped my Apple Watch 4 on the bathroom floor this morning and obliterated the screen!! Staggeringly they can't replace the screen glass, they can only replace the watch, for Ł340!!

Sorry to hear but would be interested to hear your view on whether an S4 to S5 upgrade would, under less unfortunate circumstances, be 'worth it'? I've a series 3 non-cellular and neither the S4 seemed worth it and nor does the S5. But then this is someone who stayed with a IP6 until just now
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 02:33 PM   #121
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Genuine question....Are Iphones still being stolen nowadays? Before the need to sign into Apple (with multi-authentication) in order to reset a device you're locked out of, thefts were rife. But assumed they had dropped as i assume a locked phone isn't of use to anyone but the most sophisticated person who may be able to break it down (sell for parts/precious metals) or hack into to it?
Good point. I may be out of date, but I remember footage from a year or two ago of people on mopeds in London snatching phones while people were talking on them.

I assumed that the black market had a way of hacking/resetting phones. Anyone know more?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:16 PM   #122
aquazi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Good point. I may be out of date, but I remember footage from a year or two ago of people on mopeds in London snatching phones while people were talking on them.

I assumed that the black market had a way of hacking/resetting phones. Anyone know more?
Just ebay icloud removal will give you that answer!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:32 PM   #123
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

A year or two... a month or two. Died down a little recently but mobile phone theft still very prevalent....
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #124
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was actually in Apple spending more money today, dropped my Apple Watch 4 on the bathroom floor this morning and obliterated the screen!! Staggeringly they can't replace the screen glass, they can only replace the watch, for £340!!

Sorry to hear but would be interested to hear your view on whether an S4 to S5 upgrade would, under less unfortunate circumstances, be 'worth it'? I've a series 3 non-cellular and neither the S4 seemed worth it and nor does the S5. But then this is someone who stayed with a IP6 until just now
For me the leap from 3 to 4 was huge, the bigger screen, the heart rate monitor that actually works, the thinner body, far more accurate gps, much better battery life, everything opens and works faster.

I am already loving the always on screen on the 5, really handy to see the time without lifting/turning your wrist, especially if you're holding a drink in that hand! Can't say i'll use the compass or extra 32gb of storage space though.

But it depends how you use the watch, if you use a lot of the features then definitely worth the upgrade, but if you just use it for telling the time and seeing notifications then stick with the 3.
Appreciate 1
zofinger319.00
      10-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #125
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
It look like it is impossible to unlock an iCloud locked phone without the user Apple user ID and password registered to the phone. There are loads of cheap iPhones on eBay which are iCloud locked but they are worthless and only good for paper weights.

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 1
zofinger319.00
      10-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #126
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

Quote:
It look like it is impossible to unlock an iCloud locked phone without the user Apple user ID and password registered to the phone. There are loads of cheap iPhones on eBay which are iCloud locked but they are worthless and only good for paper weights.

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #127
aquazi
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M_Sport View Post
Thats not actually correct... if you go to a apple store and prove its your device and the imei is clean they can remove the icloud lock.

People on eBay selling the icloud removal service are exploding this somehow (possibly know someone working at an apple store)

Also people selling locked phones on ebay are possibly also imei barred... so worthless... except for parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #128
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

So a bit further in, what’s the view on the new iPhone? Going to treat myself at the weekend - 11 Pro or S10 plus. Latter is easier as already on Samsung, no doubt cheaper and frankly I don’t need either

Currently got a note 8 - just a bit too big in reality...
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 02:45 AM   #129
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
So a bit further in, what's the view on the new iPhone? Going to treat myself at the weekend - 11 Pro or S10 plus. Latter is easier as already on Samsung, no doubt cheaper and frankly I don't need either

It's brilliant (11 pro max). I get on really well with the size, but I was also happy with a Note 8 so you may well be better off with the non-max as you say.

Camera and video is another level to my IP7/Note8.

I've not been hit by any bugs. Apart from CarPlay disconnecting if the volume is too (very!) loud in the car - I'm assuming JLR to blame for this rather than Apple

Lots of apps and features have improved, such as health, but this will be iOS 13 rather than the phone.

Face rec is nigh on flawless for me. Always perfect in normal light and at all normal angles (ie I don't have to think about it). Need to be a bit more spot on with angles in the near dark. I use Apple Pay constantly and was convinced face rec would be a pain and a backwards step for this, it isn't.

Useless aside - Midnight green is a nice colour and works well with the Glacier leather in my car. If I was an instagram whore, I would have a pic of this from my other phone, but I don't.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18763.50
      10-18-2019, 03:25 AM   #130
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Face rec is nigh on flawless for me. Always perfect in normal light and at all normal angles (ie I don't have to think about it). Need to be a bit more spot on with angles in the near dark. I use Apple Pay constantly and was convinced face rec would be a pain and a backwards step for this, it isn't.

Useless aside - Midnight green is a nice colour and works well with the Glacier leather in my car. If I was an instagram whore, I would have a pic of this from my other phone, but I don't.
Having been concerned about Face ID being a backward step from Touch ID on my iPhone 8, I agree that it is no problem at all on the 11 Pro. I use Apple Pay all the time as well. There is even one advantage of Face ID over Touch ID that I hadn't appreciated - it doesn't need your hands to be completely dry.

The battery life on the 11 Pro is a great deal better than the iPhone 8. Apparently it is even marginally better (around 4%) on the 11 Pro Max. I have never needed to recharge during the day, unlike my previous phone.

The camera is extremely good.

I like Midnight Green too!
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18763.50
      10-18-2019, 03:48 AM   #131
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Maybe I should bite the bullet and the price and go back to Apple....

MashinBenzin - the note 8 just fits in the wireless charging tray in the car, and I struggle to use it one handed. I do like a big screen given I have shit eyesight and use it as a phablet whilst commuting by train....

colours - grey outside and black inside on both cars means there will be no IG credible photo in the car...

JD6 - I hardly ever charge my Note during the day, like I said I dont really need a fancy phone!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2019, 04:02 AM   #132
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
So a bit further in, what’s the view on the new iPhone? Going to treat myself at the weekend - 11 Pro or S10 plus. Latter is easier as already on Samsung, no doubt cheaper and frankly I don’t need either

I have had iPhone since the 3G, that’s how intrenched in Apple I unfortunately am. I say unfortunate, but really it’s not. I currently have an IP 11 Pro Max. (I have had every single iteration since the 3G in one way shape or form.)

This is the first time in a few years i seriously considered the Galaxy Note 10+. But there were a few things that prevented me:

The lack of Android operating system regular updates. I find this side of Apple very comforting. As soon as something needs fixing, it’s rolled out and the phone auto downloads and installs overnight for me. I have never had a Apple product say it can’t do something for me when updating!

All of the apps hit the Apple App Store first, are better and then follow on to the Google Play store.

The Google play store is no where near as secure and well policed as the Apple store. I know of friends with Android phones that have downloaded an app and then had bugs they can’t get rid of.

I do find the apple eco system far easier to navigate, probably because I have been around it for so long. I write this on an iPad Pro, I have a Mac, Apple TV yada yada....you get the picture.

A colleague at work has a Note 9 he bought 2 months ago, he regularly says: ‘this f$%king phone.’ It freezes, doesn’t do what he wants etc. He switches it off all the time to sort bugs out. I never have this problem with any of my apple stuff.

I am sure I sound like an apple fan boy, and maybe I am. But if I have a problem with an apple product, I also love the fact I can walk into Apple Milton Keynes and know I will be looked after. You can’t do that with a Samsung....the Samsung Milton Keynes store shut 3 or 4 years ago!
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18763.50