F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > 2016 435i xDrive Daily Build
Studio RSR

10-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
Virtus02
Rep
Drives: 2016 435xi

2016 435i xDrive Daily Build

Background and why the 435i:
I'm not experienced in track/autocross, any opinions on modification I give reflect spirited/daily driving. Previous car was a 1999 Subaru Impreza RS coupe, I wanted a more capable platform in the same configuration (coupe, manual, AWD) which narrowed the field to 4 Series or Audi S5. I live in Erie, PA which is consistently in the top 5 snowiest cities in the states. It is not uncommon to wake up to 12 inches + of lake effect snowfall or experience 40F deg swings in temp therefore AWD is almost required. I also got an amazing deal on it, buying it $6k below NADA listed clean trade in.

Minor annoyances after 1 year of ownership:
At 6'2 200lbs I barely fit, seat is all the way down and my hair will sometimes brush the top liner. Borderless windows freezing in winter, I have to use de-icer and/or force the door open let the car run 5-10+ minutes due to no automatic starter in a manual trans. Visibility in rain is poor no matter how much rain-x I put on the windshield. Only 3 wiper settings plus a not that great automatic setting. Beige/Black interior, would prefer saddle brown. Wish I would have waited for the B58 for more power, but the N55 is proven.

Modifications:
Plasti-Dip 435i Emblem and Front Grill
RW Carbon 3D Style CF Front Splitter
RW Carbon 3D Style CF Side Skirt Extensions
RW Carbon 3D Style CF Rear Spoiler
3.5 Inch Black Exhaust Tips
CTS-Turbo Intake
FabSpeed Sport Cat Down Pipe
Stock Muffler Mod
KW Street Comfort Coilovers
3mm Spacers Front and Rear
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 et35
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 265/35r18
Rial X10 18x8 et30
Michelin Ice-X Xi3 245/40r18

Future Modifications:
Oil Catch Can
Charge Pipe
Bootmod3 or MHD
Camber Plates & 275/35r18 (unsure)
Intercooler (unsure)
Turbo to Intercooler Pipe (unsure)

Notes on Modifications:
Currently 7,000+ miles on CTS-Turbo and FabSpeed Down Pipe with no CEL on stock tune. I choose these components because I always want the option to return to stock tune without issue for inspection or trade in.

Stock Muffler Mod: The hot rod shop I took it to charged me $300. Mod includes cutting open the muffler and welding the holes in the perforated piping shut. The Valve System is intact and with the FabSpeed Sport Cat, stock midpipe resonator, and now essentially only a resonator in the stock muffler it sounds similar to the M2 N55 with a FabSpeed. No drone, relatively quiet on the highway, burbles in Sport(+), and decently loud when you get your foot in it (Stock Tune).

Suspension: Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 may require at least 3mm spacer with KW Street Comfort in front. On my car under extreme compression the inside rim will rub the strut with a 3mm spacer even though I can get my hand between the strut and rim. Note that only the drivers side does this, even without the 3mm spacer the passengers does not! I suspect is has to do with the damage my car had (bent strut and knuckle from previous owner) or I just lost the tolerance stack up RNG on that side. With the 3mm (front and rear) and 265s I do not rub outside fenders, my fenders are not rolled or pulled. For a track set up I would probably go with camber plates and least -1.5 deg with 5+mm spacers in front only with 265/35 Extreme Summer or 275/35 Max/Ultra Summer.

Last edited by Virtus02; 10-03-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
lens2069.50
      10-03-2019, 01:10 AM   #2
SorinMTB
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i Xdrive

Beautiful car!
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtus02 View Post
I'm not experienced in track/autocross, any opinions on modification I give reflect spirited/daily driving. Previous car was a 1999 Subaru Impreza RS coupe, I wanted a more capable platform in the same configuration (coupe, manual, AWD) which narrowed the field to 4 Series or Audi S5. I live in Erie, PA which is consistently in the top 5 snowiest cities in the states. It is not uncommon to wake up to 12 inches + of lake effect snowfall or experience 40F deg swings in temp therefore AWD is almost required. I also got an amazing deal on it, buying it $6k below NADA listed clean trade in.

At 6'2 200lbs I barely fit, seat is all the way down and my hair will sometimes brush the top liner. Borderless windows freezing in winter, I have to use de-icer and/or force the door open let the car run 5-10+ minutes due to no automatic starter in a manual trans. Visibility in rain is poor no matter how much rain-x I put on the windshield. Only 3 wiper settings plus a not that great automatic setting. Beige/Black interior, would prefer saddle brown. Wish I would have waited for the B58 for more power, but the N55 is proven.

Modifications:
CTS-Turbo Intake
Stock Muffler Mod
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 et35
Rial X10 18x8 et30

Future Modifications:
Oil Catch Can
Charge Pipe
Bootmod3 or MHD
Intercooler (unsure)

Notes on Modifications:
Currently 7,000+ miles on CTS-Turbo and FabSpeed Down Pipe with no CEL on stock tune. I choose these components because I always want the option to return to stock tune without issue for inspection or trade in.

Stock Muffler Mod: The hot rod shop I took it to charged me $300. Mod includes cutting open the muffler and welding the holes in the perforated piping shut. The Valve System is intact and with the FabSpeed Sport Cat, stock midpipe resonator, and now essentially only a resonator in the stock muffler it sounds similar to the M2 N55 with a FabSpeed. No drone, relatively quiet on the highway, burbles in Sport(+), and decently loud when you get your foot in it (Stock Tune).

Suspension: Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 may require at least 3mm spacer with KW Street Comfort in front. On my car under extreme compression the inside rim will rub the strut with a 3mm spacer even though I can get my hand between the strut and rim. Note that only the drivers side does this, even without the 3mm spacer the passengers does not! I suspect is has to do with the damage my car had (bent strut and knuckle from previous owner) or I just lost the tolerance stack up RNG on that side. With the 3mm (front and rear) and 265s I do not rub outside fenders, my fenders are not rolled or pulled. For a track set up I would probably go with camber plates and least -1.5 deg with 5+mm spacers in front only with 265/35 Extreme Summer or 275/35 Max/Ultra Summer.

Nice setup!

I would say to get XHP trans flash (if you have 8AT) and xDelete. Especially xDelete as you're able to switch between RWD and xDrive whenever you want. I found the extra handling characteristics of RWD is great, and will help you with turn in and reducing understeer.
      10-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #4
Virtus02
Rep

I actually have the 6-speed manual.
xDelete definitely sounds interesting, I've only recently heard about it!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

Modifications:
CTS-Turbo Intake
Stock Muffler Mod
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 et35
Rial X10 18x8 et30

Future Modifications:
Oil Catch Can
Charge Pipe
Bootmod3 or MHD
Intercooler (unsure)

Notes on Modifications:

Nice car! I've got the Fabspeed HJS catted DP too! Just bought for winter Michelin X-Ice Xi3, how do you like them? How are they on cold dry pavement?
Some suggestions:
Try on inside of windshield, Rain-X glass cleaner then Rain-X interior glass anti-fog (Walmart)
Right away get Evolution Raceworks charge pipe. Best quality and fitment
Wagner Competition EVO2, great FMIC for street and also if you want to track later
BootMod3 Stage2
If you haven't done an intake just drop in a aFe ProDry airfilter
Forget TIC since they don't break. If you have to then use Evolution Raceworks
Catch can not needed in N55 like they are in N54
Upgrade brakes to Hawk 5.0 pads and StopTech stainless steel brake lines
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
Sayzar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC 2020 X4M Comp

Quote:

Modifications:
CTS-Turbo Intake
Stock Muffler Mod
Apex ARC-8 18x9.5 et35
Rial X10 18x8 et30

Future Modifications:
Oil Catch Can
Charge Pipe
Bootmod3 or MHD
Intercooler (unsure)

Notes on Modifications:

Nicely Done!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2019, 11:27 PM   #7
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Those ARC8s are so beautiful in that color. Nicely done! Do you happen to know how much ground clearance you have? Your stance is perfect.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
Virtus02
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Nice car! I've got the Fabspeed HJS catted DP too! Just bought for winter Michelin X-Ice Xi3, how do you like them? How are they on cold dry pavement?
Some suggestions:
Try on inside of windshield, Rain-X glass cleaner then Rain-X interior glass anti-fog (Walmart)
Right away get Evolution Raceworks charge pipe. Best quality and fitment
Wagner Competition EVO2, great FMIC for street and also if you want to track later
BootMod3 Stage2
If you haven't done an intake just drop in a aFe ProDry airfilter
Forget TIC since they don't break. If you have to then use Evolution Raceworks
Catch can not needed in N55 like they are in N54
Upgrade brakes to Hawk 5.0 pads and StopTech stainless steel brake lines
Hope this helps!
The Xi3's are the best winter tire I've had so far, I have complete confidence and they are very predictable. On cold 32F and below dry pavement they are equal to a good all-season(DWS, Comp-2 A/S). I went with 245 instead of 225 to help with the dry, many of my friends with similar cars(3series, S4, S5, etc) run 245s in the winter as well.

Thanks for the tips!! Now I have research to do before black friday!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
The Xi3's are the best winter tire I've had so far, I have complete confidence and they are very predictable. On cold 32F and below dry pavement they are equal to a good all-season(DWS, Comp-2 A/S). I went with 245 instead of 225 to help with the dry, many of my friends with similar cars(3series, S4, S5, etc) run 245s in the winter as well.

Thanks for the tips!! Now I have research to do before black friday!
I run 255/40/18 in the summer and 245/40/18 in the winter.

I've owned Bridgestone LM-32. Pirelli Sottozero 3, Michelin Pilot Alpin 4, Dunlop Wintersport 4D, and I'm currently on Bridgestone WS80 now.

The PA4s were the best winter performance tires i've owned, but I decided to spend 500$ less and get dedicated snow tires instead.

You can't compare winter tires to A/S tires, a decent set of winters will beat A/S all day, once temps drop below 15F, A/S become hockey pucks.
      10-10-2019, 08:04 PM   #11
Virtus02
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I run 255/40/18 in the summer and 245/40/18 in the winter.

I've owned Bridgestone LM-32. Pirelli Sottozero 3, Michelin Pilot Alpin 4, Dunlop Wintersport 4D, and I'm currently on Bridgestone WS80 now.

The PA4s were the best winter performance tires i've owned, but I decided to spend 500$ less and get dedicated snow tires instead.

You can't compare winter tires to A/S tires, a decent set of winters will beat A/S all day, once temps drop below 15F, A/S become hockey pucks.
My response was based on johnung comment. The request was for experience specifically with Xi3 since they were already purchased. And yes, in extreme cold, winter tires will be superior, but based on location NJ for johnung and PA for myself the majority of winter is 35F to 15F.
Appreciate 1
lens2069.50