F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *** bootmod3 for BMW B58 - Now Available ***
ARMA SPEED

04-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #111
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thus View Post
I flashed the bootmod3 Stage 1 91 octane earlier today. It's very noticeable! Smooth power across the band.

The max numbers on my gauges changed as well; the max hp number is 560, and the max tq is 400. That seems odd.

Why is the max gauge number for hp that high?
Is anyone else seeing odd sport gauges after flashing stage 1 91?

The sport gauges don't translate to true power. I don't know why some people are so obsessed with this.
Appreciate 2
kern4174446.50
B58togo808.50
      04-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #112
EricVR4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Does BM3 have a transmission tune? How is this flash better than a piggyback like Active 8?
PTF doesn't offer a transmission flash currently but they are developing one, no ETA on when it will be out though.

And a flash tune is better than a piggyback in every way. You're reprogramming the actual ECU rather than splicing into the ECU and overriding what it's telling the car to do. It makes for a much smoother and linear/usable powerband and driving experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloelectro View Post
I keep reading that there is no real benefit adding a downpipe to the b58. Is that now not the case?
No there is a definite benefit to adding a downpipe. A catless or high-flow catted downpipe is a lot less restrictive which increases hp/tq. Almost all of the flash tunes recommend a better downpipe for anything past a Stage 1 flash because of the better exhaust flow for the higher psi the turbo will be pushing.
Appreciate 1
Powaup1253.00
      04-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #113
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
Quote:
I keep reading that there is no real benefit adding a downpipe to the b58. Is that now not the case?
The people saying this don't have downpipes. It's night and day.
It's being said by other reputable tuning companies.
Which ones?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #114
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which ones?
BMS. I'm not trying to kick dirt on anyone here, genuinely interested in why the b58 specifically is said to have a suitable stock downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:07 AM   #115
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which ones?
BMS. I'm not trying to kick dirt on anyone here, genuinely interested in why the b58 specifically is said to have a suitable stock downpipe.
No worries.

You can probably get away without a DP (for a short time) on a Stage 2 or greater, JB4, etc., but the life of your turbo will likely be reduced long-term.

A DP is needed to reduce the amount of heat you are producing from added boost, timing, etc.
Appreciate 1
Powaup1253.00
      04-04-2019, 09:23 AM   #116
Sheharyar_rr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodNIGHT View Post
This is gonna work on the new Supra too I'm assuming???
So the supra and at least my buddy's G05 X5 is b58tu, we tried flashing it last night but it wasn't supported. After checking with support, dzenan told us the tables aren't the same as b58 and they will need some time to have full support added but it should be out soon.
Gone: 2014 335i xDrive | Bootmod3 Stage 2 93 Map | 12.2 @ 113 1/4 Mile
Appreciate 3
jalkster220.00
goodNIGHT106.50
Powaup1253.00
      04-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #117
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheharyar_rr View Post
So the supra and at least my buddy's G05 X5 is b58tu, we tried flashing it last night but it wasn't supported. After checking with support, dzenan told us the tables aren't the same as b58 and they will need some time to have full support added but it should be out soon.
Thanks for adding this.
      04-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #118
Thus
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive m perf & track pkg

Quote:
The sport gauges don't translate to true power. I don't know why some people are so obsessed with this.
Oh I know that, but the max values just seemed... odd. Was mostly curious.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #119
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which ones?
No worries.

You can probably get away without a DP (for a short time) on a Stage 2 or greater, JB4, etc., but the life of your turbo will likely be reduced long-term.

A DP is needed to reduce the amount of heat you are producing from added boost, timing, etc.
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #120
jrdoming
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M-Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I took a datalog after a fresh flash. Not sure how to submit it to PTF to make sure everything looks okay so posting it here:

https://datazap.me/u/jrdoming/bm3-st...15-16-17-18-29

Edit: Can someone recommend the most aggressive burble setting I can safely do on Stage 1 with a stock DP?

Last edited by jrdoming; 04-04-2019 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #121
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
PTF: Is this something that can be a configurable choice? I'd prefer a linear throttle map in every mode (or at least in comfort, sport, and sport+), one thing I don't like about the stock tuning is the aggressive throttle map in sport+. (I don't know if it applies exactly to the B58, but by 'linear' I mean keep the throttle pedal %->load request mapping as linear as possible and the same between modes, not strictly linear pedal->throttle mapping)

This was actually an update on the BMW side, and PTF is probably using the latest BWM ECU software as their base. When I first got my car it rev matched in just about every instance it could theoretically do it. Then after the dealer applied an update to fix an issue, it behaved like yours did. I complained, and like 8 months later they had another update that partially restored the original behavior (probably the behavior you have now), but it still won't rev match when shifting out of neutral, which it originally did.
I didn't see it as an option nor did I expect it. I believe it's linear because it doesn't have the lag of comfort mode or overly aggressive first 50% of travel in sport mode. Sounds like we both like the same throttle mapping strategy, and in comfort mode it's great. I haven't tried sport/sport+ yet.

And yeah I saw a thread about it but didn't expect it to change. When I received my car in 09/2017 it came with that software change so I never missed it and honestly got used to it. I kind of freaked out when I downshifted to 2nd in my neighborhood and the rpms jumped haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. zero View Post
Noob question... There is an app available for iPhone/Android. Can that be used exclusively to do all the flashing (initial and updates) via WIFI/Bluetooth OBD plug?
You need their tool, it's about $250. I tried with a regular OBD wifi dongle and it didn't work.

Quote:
BMS is saying that because their JB4 piggyback is power limited. The downpipe goes past those torque limits and causes throttle closures, so there's no benefit to a catless pipe. With a flash tune all of that has been circumvented so you can see the true benefits.

In reality the downpipe itself doesn't improve power, but it allows you to run a more aggressive tune safely. If the tune can't run more aggressively, safely, then there's no benefit in swapping the hardware. Hope that makes sense.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #122
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdoming View Post
I took a datalog after a fresh flash. Not sure how to submit it to PTF to make sure everything looks okay so posting it here:

https://datazap.me/u/jrdoming/bm3-st...15-16-17-18-29

Edit: Can someone recommend the most aggressive burble setting I can safely do on Stage 1 with a stock DP?
Are you at high elevation? Boost seems low... did the flash actually go through?
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #123
jrdoming
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M-Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Are you at high elevation? Boost seems low... did the flash actually go through?
Flash went through from every indication and car *feels* faster. I am not at high elevation but this could be a case of it not fully adapting yet. The log was nearly directly after a fresh flash so I might have to drive around a bit more to let this adapt up?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #124
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Flash went through from every indication and car *feels* faster. I am not at high elevation but this could be a case of it not fully adapting yet. The log was nearly directly after a fresh flash so I might have to drive around a bit more to let this adapt up?
Maybe drive around and then take another log? Try 93 instead of 91 octane too.
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #125
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Definitely could be the case of not fully adapting yet. I flashed 91 last night also and I've noticed a substantial difference even with just Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #126
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Which ones?
No worries.

Thanks for the info!
Sure man! I'm learning too.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #127
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

A lot of people are reporting not hitting boost targets. I specifically didn't comment on power because I didn't feel a huge change with 93 Stage 1, but I also expect it to take some time to adapt. I'd rather the car incrementally adjust itself up to peak power and make sure it's able to compensate vs throwing everything at it on the first pull. It's the right way to do things.

Hopefully this weekend I'll find time run logs to make sure everything is ok after getting some miles on the car.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #128
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Note that these engines are not aiming for a specific boost #, they're aiming for a specific power #. Lower ambient temperature means they need less boost to hit the power they're aiming for. Elevation also has an effect, but cold, dense air will require less boost to hit the same load target. I see this even stock, my boost doesn't go as high during the winter as it does during the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahanix View Post
Definitely could be the case of not fully adapting yet. I flashed 91 last night also and I've noticed a substantial difference even with just Stage 1
What 'adaptation'? I'd love to hear from PTF or another tuner if there is actual adaptation going on post-flash, but I haven't seen any actual info on any.
Appreciate 2
Powaup1253.00
Wires1645.50
      04-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #129
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Note that these engines are not aiming for a specific boost #, they're aiming for a specific power #. Lower ambient temperature means they need less boost to hit the power they're aiming for. Elevation also has an effect, but cold, dense air will require less boost to hit the same load target. I see this even stock, my boost doesn't go as high during the winter as it does during the summer.

Quote:
What 'adaptation'? I'd love to hear from PTF or another tuner if there is actual adaptation going on post-flash, but I haven't seen any actual info on any.
Ive heard from Alex at MP that it takes about 20-30 min of spirited driving to adapt. But that's his tune. May be different for PTF?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #130
BornATeste
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sportline Black RWD

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I flashed stage 1 93 octane last night. I reset all adaptations before starting the car for the first time. I drove to the store about 15 minutes and the car felt low on torque, even less then stock. On my way home from the store it came alive the torque delivery definitely adjusted and really put me back in the seat. I can verify a half hour or so of driving with a couple or restarts of the car seem to wake it up after a flash.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #131
goodNIGHT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheharyar_rr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodNIGHT View Post
This is gonna work on the new Supra too I'm assuming???
That is really good news for all X5 and future Supra owners ))
Appreciate 1
Powaup1253.00
      04-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #132
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Been reading their faq/docs...

There's a map editor built in, but can you edit OTS maps, or can you only edit starting from stock?

Basically, could I get the OTS map, and just flatten the throttle mapping myself?

Edit: Answered my own question.. in the manual:
"Importing and editing bootmod3’s OTS maps is not an option. "
Appreciate 0