F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > HUD Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

11-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
Deen435d
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d xDrive M-Sport Plus

HUD Retrofit

Ladies and Gents,

I know this question has been asked quite a few times already (yes I have used the search button), but does anyone have a guide to a HUD retrofit. I know that user soso2222 has successfully done this, but there is no actual guide or instructions on how to do this - could anyone point me in the right place please?

Am I correct in thinking it’s a case of making a hole in the dash, putting the HUD screen in, connect the hud screen to the speedo using a HUD Cable, potentially add some coding and jobs a good’un? I’m aware that the windscreen needs to be replaced and I’m also aware that some speedos aren’t compatible. How do I know mine is without taking it out? A quick spec sheet check shows that my 435d has options S609A (“Navigation System Professional”) and S6WAA (“Instrument Cluster Expanded Equipment”) - does that mean that my Speedo is compatible?

Many thanks,

Deen!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen435d View Post
Ladies and Gents,

I know this question has been asked quite a few times already (yes I have used the search button), but does anyone have a guide to a HUD retrofit. I know that user soso2222 has successfully done this, but there is no actual guide or instructions on how to do this - could anyone point me in the right place please?

Am I correct in thinking it's a case of making a hole in the dash, putting the HUD screen in, connect the hud screen to the speedo using a HUD Cable, potentially add some coding and jobs a good'un? I'm aware that the windscreen needs to be replaced and I'm also aware that some speedos aren't compatible. How do I know mine is without taking it out? A quick spec sheet check shows that my 435d has options S609A ("Navigation System Professional") and S6WAA ("Instrument Cluster Expanded Equipment") - does that mean that my Speedo is compatible?

Many thanks,

Deen!
There are 2 types of speedos 1) with HUD plug. 2) without HUD plug.

If not HUD from factory, you speedo have #2. $1000+ for that.

Windshield will not be HUD Compatible. Yours will show a double image. $1000+ for that.

HUD has to be precisely and securely mounted. Cannot just cut a hole. $2000+ for new dash plus roughly 10 hours to totally pull out everything from center console to entire dash and retrofit. So at minimum $3500 there.

Still no accounting for HUD to add to the above. So another $1000+ for that used (or $3000 new), cables and assorted items such as screws, trim, RLS Sensor and new air duct.

Good luck!
Appreciate 3
tex26702408.00
1QuikWS61615.50
Palantir219.00
      02-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '17 F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

Windshield will not be HUD Compatible. Yours will show a double image. $1000+ for that.

HUD has to be precisely and securely mounted. Cannot just cut a hole. $2000+ for new dash plus roughly 10 hours to totally pull out everything from center console to entire dash and retrofit. So at minimum $3500 there.

Still no accounting for HUD to add to the above. So another $1000+ for that used (or $3000 new), cables and assorted items such as screws, trim, RLS Sensor and new air duct.

Good luck!
Just stumbled across this post and made me .

My friend here in the UK has done his f80 and I'm preparing to do my f82.

Another way of looking at it might be:

HUD compatible screen: Replaced for insurance excess: £75.
2nd hand HUD from eBay: £100
2nd hand HUD cables from eBay: £40
Cut hole in dash (does not need to be removed, can be cut in-situ): £free.
Coding: £free if you know what you're doing. £100 if you need someone else to remote in.
Various misc parts: £175 (air duct, dash trim for HUD screws etc).
Total: £<500

It's possible you will need HUD compatible cluster - to my knowledge all F80's and F82 clusters are compatible as standard so no cost there. Allow another £250 for a 2nd hand cluster on eBay if you need it.

Beats the 6,500USD price you mention here, but of course, not everyone has the desire to try
Appreciate 2
zamboni1126.00
      02-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggers View Post
Quote:

Good luck!
Just stumbled across this post and made me .

My friend here in the UK has done his f80 and I'm preparing to do my f82.

Another way of looking at it might be:

HUD compatible screen: Replaced for insurance excess: £75.
2nd hand HUD from eBay: £100
2nd hand HUD cables from eBay: £40
Cut hole in dash (does not need to be removed, can be cut in-situ): £free.
Coding: £free if you know what you're doing. £100 if you need someone else to remote in.
Various misc parts: £175 (air duct, dash trim for HUD screws etc).
Total: £<500

It's possible you will need HUD compatible cluster - to my knowledge all F80's and F82 clusters are compatible as standard so no cost there. Allow another £250 for a 2nd hand cluster on eBay if you need it.

Beats the 6,500USD price you mention here, but of course, not everyone has the desire to try
A 435d is NOT a F80 or a F82 if you haven't noticed. Recheck the forum and OP.

What is standard in a M3/M4 has no relevance to a F32.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 03-31-2020 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
njdangelo434.50
      02-28-2020, 03:25 AM   #5
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
A 435d is [B]NOT a F80 or a F82[B] if you haven't noticed. Recheck the forum and OP.

What is standard in a M3/M4 has no relevance to a F32.
Congratulations!
Now - everything else I said is still accurate. Add another £250 for the 2nd hand cluster then.

We're still down many thousands of pounds/dollars vs your scaremongering.
Appreciate 3
      02-28-2020, 07:38 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations!
Now - everything else I said is still accurate. Add another £250 for the 2nd hand cluster then.

We're still down many thousands of pounds/dollars vs your scaremongering.
Most people do not break their windshield to cheat the Insurance Company, so we saw your philosophy early on.

Hell, using your model, why not just steal a F32 for the parts and then it's free.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:49 AM   #7
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Most people do not break their windshield to cheat the Insurance Company, so we saw your philosophy early on.

Hell, using your model, why not just steal a F32 for the parts and then it's free.
I guess like in all walks of like, there's douchebags everywhere. Including on forums
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      03-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I guess like in all walks of like, there's douchebags everywhere. Including on forums
You proved that.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
mdchris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

Well that escalated quickly...

The answer will be somewhere in the middle. You need a cluster that supports it as mentioned so you'd have to check yours, and you will probably need a new windshield. If you already have justification for getting a new one on insurance you can try to just pay the difference, otherwise you'll be footing the bill for the whole thing. Then how much time do you want to spend sourcing used parts etc.

IMHO it's not worth it even in the cheapest possible scenario, but that's really up to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:07 PM   #10
homeryen88
Homer Yen
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 (sold Aug 2019); F30 Sedan

I was also wondering about this recently, but my curiosity was quashed pretty quickly.

Agree with the above commenters - for a full retrofit, you'll need: HUD projector; HUD-capable windshield; a specially-cut-ready-for-HUD dashboard; HUD insulator, HUD-enabled instrument cluster, and maybe some additional tools and wiring. I salute SOS2222 for finding their way through the wilderness on this one.

Pricewise, this could be feasible if you were fortunate enough / brave enough to procure the entire “BMW F30 Head Up Display Cluster Retrofit” setup off of Ebay (I saw one recently being sold for about $1000 for all the major components). But looking at the various parts needed on www.getbmwparts.com, assembling a brand new system would be cost-prohibitive (maybe $6,000 for everything and not including labor – YIKES!).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #11
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Daggers, you are absolutely right... Some people here "assume" the worst of others, imagine situations, and don't waste time to bash others post, threads... and in this case, your integrity. It is a shame the approach of some members here... totally agree. Fortunately, not everyone like that
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:07 AM   #12
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloxxi View Post
Daggers, you are absolutely right... Some people here "assume" the worst of others, imagine situations, and don't waste time to bash others post, threads... and in this case, your integrity. It is a shame the approach of some members here... totally agree. Fortunately, not everyone like that
Thanks.

This is a great retrofit. And if you source the parts cheaply your only “significant” cost is the windscreen really. The other parts can be found cheap enough if you’re patient and scour the online marketplaces!

One of the things I think was missed in the parts list (at least, that I forgot to take into account) is the rain/light sensor. You can use your existing one but the image on the windscreen is quite dull. There is a specific sensor for HUD. I think I paid about £45 for that, brand new, by just waiting for one to turn up online.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #13
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Why would your car insurance company replace the windscreen for one the is HUD compatible if your car doesn’t currently have this type? Or would they not ask and just take your word for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #14
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I guess the key is to make sure your insurer already knows about your modifications which is kind of common sense.

When I needed my screen replaced, I told them (the windscreen company) on the phone I had retrofitted KAFAS and HUD.

On fitting day, the correct (genuine BMW HUD/KAFAS) glass arrived with the fitter without issue.

The glass company fitted genuine BMW glass which needs insurer approval - my insurer obviously already knew I had retrofitted HUD/KAFAS (amongst other things) so I would imagine accepted the claim for that specific screen.

Either that or they just take the word of the windscreen company on what’s needed and don’t care!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #15
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Curious about the comment above about not needing to pull the dash to make the cut. Any more details on how that gets pulled off?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 01:45 AM   #16
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I’d read somewhere someone did this (fitted in situ without removing dash) but having now seen what’s necessary I don’t think it’s possible. Dash needs to come out and swapped for a HUD dash, or the hole cut when it’s out.

It’s not that you couldn’t cut the hole in place (you probably could) but there’s no way you’re fitting the HUD unit without removing the dash.

Dash removal and replacement is about 2-3 hours work, plus cutting if you’re not swapping it out. It’s not hard at all - centre console needs to come out too obviously. It looks scary but it’s really not!

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 03:38 AM   #17
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

I just did a HUD retrofit, you need a HUD cluster, HUD, light/rain/solar/hud sensor.

As Daggers says you need to remove the dash so you can install the HUD and also cute the hole + wire goes to cluster connection, - wire to fem and the hsd to cluster aswell.

Then coding 610 to cluster, nbt and fem and it should work. Only downside if you dont have a HUD windshield it looks a little blurry. Im still looking for a sollution for this cause don't want to change my windshield.

Maybe someone found a sollution for this and is willing to share, but not the hud screen you can buy to put againt the windshield, cause this looks so chea and is fuggly. Isnt there a foil or somthing you can put n the complete windshield so you dont see it and the hud works normally?

Added some pictures to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
triax37130.00
      05-11-2020, 04:28 AM   #18
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

great job

I found when I had the HUD with the original screen, the blur wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I certainly was able to tolerate it until I had the screen replaced due to damage. It's not sharp, but it's certainly usable.
Of course, the HUD screen is better but... maybe you can find another solution with the film etc.
F82 M4 CP Retrofitted: HUD + CS Dash, Fully adaptive/HBA LED headlights, shadowline LCI taillights, KAFAS2 / pedestrian detection / Speed Limit Info / Front Collision Avoidance, Fullscreen CarPlay / ID6, latest iStep. Mods: Carbon diffuser. Carbon side skirts. Bootmod3 Stage 2. BMS intakes. Decat downpipes. AA midpipe. Custom exhaust with akrapovic tips.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #19
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Nice! I already have the HUD unit and trim. Depending on how busy this summer is I plan on finishing the retrofit at some point in the next 6 months. I did note that some folks mentioned needing a different vent tube too. Did you run into that?

My windshield already has a nice nick in it so I will get it replaced when I'm ready
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #20
Daggers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I forgot to mention that. If you use your existing non-HUD dash you need a different vent tube/duct as it circumvents the HUD. Part number for you left hand drive guys is 64229218500.

You *might* be able to use a heat gun and adapt your existing duct. I’ve not had them side by side to check it that would be possible but I can’t think why not.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 02:47 AM   #21
astr0nate
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 340xi

Anyone have the PN for the HUD to cluster cable?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #22
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Thanks.

This is a great retrofit. And if you source the parts cheaply your only “significant” cost is the windscreen really. The other parts can be found cheap enough if you’re patient and scour the online marketplaces!

One of the things I think was missed in the parts list (at least, that I forgot to take into account) is the rain/light sensor. You can use your existing one but the image on the windscreen is quite dull. There is a specific sensor for HUD. I think I paid about £45 for that, brand new, by just waiting for one to turn up online.
Windshield isn't that bad for price. I paid something like $500CAD / $385 USD / 360 pounds for a non-BMW windshield when it needed replacing. Just needs the HUD markings or you get the double vision like you mentioned (glass shop put in the wrong one the first time).
Appreciate 0