F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > UK 2012 BMW: cannot manually open the boot
GetBMWParts

05-12-2022, 05:59 AM   #1
terrypin
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Luxury Auto Saloon

UK 2012 BMW: cannot manually open the boot

Or: UK 328i Lux, F30: Cannot manually open trunk tailgate

This seems to have arisen after a dealer service, but I cannot see a (provable) direct connection, so no chance of getting a free fix.

After unlocking with the Unlock button on the remote key fob, I have always been able to open the boot by squeezing the handle in the recess. That no longer works. The only way I can open the boot now is using the boot unlock button on the key fob. Something I've never had to do before.

For a few days directly after the service (plus the annual MOT, and diagnosis - but not repair - of a wet driver footwell, another story) I could do so, but with difficulty. That puzzled me, and with hindsight I wish I'd called the dealer at once. But a week later, last night, it became impossible.

Long drive to a concert with my wife. Needed stuff in the boot. So, stressful! I was merely briefly pressing the boot unlock button, just like I do with the other two, and it took me a while to realise it needs a 2 second press.)

I thought it would be cured by spraying the locking mechanism on the boot lid with WD-40 the following morning, but no joy. Nor spraying the handle innards (with difficulty).

Initially I thought perhaps it was a profile change in the car settings, but that all seems OK. And the solenoid activated by the remote opens the lock reliably. So I think it must be a mechanical issue inside the recessed handle/lever unit. IOW, squeezing is not getting translated into the 'hook lifting' that the solenoid performs. Presumably that's by a flexible cable, not by activating the solenoid?

I expect that the dealer will quote a high charge for a new part and fitting. They didn't entertain my request to first access it to see if it was an easily fixed problem. Automatic replacement rules!

So my question: has anyone been able to access the handle mechanism please? I'm no car DIYer (I'm always nervous about making things worse, and/or damaging the appearance), but given clear step-by-step guidance I'll tackle it methodically.

Probably redundant, but here are a few photos:

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 05:42 AM   #2
Moshiur
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2012

Could you find any solution? I have the same problem on my X3 2012
Appreciate 0