F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > What's the best path going from standard audio to full aftermarket?
ARMA SPEED

08-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
Pro-Owner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318d

Lightbulb What's the best path going from standard audio to full aftermarket?

The past few days I've been looking around this forum in order to shed some light on a bunch of questions I have. Some haven been answered, so haven't. I'll try and summarize what I know and go from there with regards to the questions I have.

1. The standard radio has amplified outputs which have been heavily equalized to account for lack of tweeter in front and sub in back.

2. The Standard radio can be coded to "hifi" which alters the output signal from amplified output to low level line input, which is a flat signal and isn't equalized. Correct?

3. As Technic quotes here, these signals are balanced/differential, low level, 5V, flat-response, analog signals.

4. To go from a differential signal to a regular low level signal you need an amp that accepts those signals, or an "L.O.C.". Since I've never used something like that I have no idea what to look for. So is this information correct and what do you guys suggest I'd use to go from 4 balanced/differential signals to just regular amp inputs? I'm trying not to break the bank so an economical solution I can order on amazon.de or something would be great. (is this any good?)

5. From there on I can go to my amp JBL GTO5355. My amp has 4 regular output channels and 1 sub channel.

6. In order to get to the amp in the trunk and back from the amp to the existing wiring I'll need to purchase a wiring harness from Technic I believe (4/4 harness)?

7. We'd also like to upgrade the screen to an android 9 10.25" unit which adds another connector between wiring and original headunit. Will this affect the wiring from Technic at all?

8. This should give me a completed circuit, but is the original wiring thick enough to handle the 75w rms output of the amp (assuming i'll go with 2ohm speakers)? I don't intend on lighting the car on fire.

I know this probably has been asked separately a few times before but most threads are about the hifi radio which already has wiring to the trunk, and most people go with an amp that can take the signal directly. Since I already have an amp and a woofer I'd like to use those.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Last edited by Pro-Owner; 08-12-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Many of your questions are answered here:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1475424
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Pro-Owner