F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > DRL adaptive led
Studio RSR

02-27-2024, 03:40 AM   #1
bmwdiag123
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F34

DRL adaptive led

Hello all, I have a F34 with adaptive LED headlights and the DRL on the headlights have faded. Upon removing the DRL module I found that the DRL lights have burnt and due to that there is a burnt area in the DRL HALO part too. I just wanted to know if that particular DRL HALO ring is available separately so that I can dismantle the headlight lens and fix this halo lens. I have attached the image of the burnt area for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:37 AM   #2
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

It is not available separately. I know - I had to source a replacement Icon (LED + adaptive) headlight for my F34 LCI because the side (pointing towards the fender) light rod actually broke off 30 mm into the headlight.

People have these issues all the time. You can carefully shave off the burnt area (use vacuum cleaner at the same time to collect shavings) with small file/stone-on-the-dremel or similar tool. Don't shave off the ear with a stand-off - it is meant not to let LEDs touch the end of the light rod (which didn't work in your case due to misalignments at the factory during headlight assembly). The ground surface will become dull and not transparent. This is good to produce 95% OEM brightness. If that is not good enough for you, the dull surface can be made full transparent with clear epoxy or with torch - the light tube is acrylic and can be easily melted. Just take your time and be careful not to break the light rod while shaving off the damaged area.
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 12:44 AM   #3
bmwdiag123
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksamit78 View Post
It is not available separately. I know - I had to source a replacement Icon (LED + adaptive) headlight for my F34 LCI because the side (pointing towards the fender) light rod actually broke off 30 mm into the headlight.

People have these issues all the time. You can carefully shave off the burnt area (use vacuum cleaner at the same time to collect shavings) with small file/stone-on-the-dremel or similar tool. Don't shave off the ear with a stand-off - it is meant not to let LEDs touch the end of the light rod (which didn't work in your case due to misalignments at the factory during headlight assembly). The ground surface will become dull and not transparent. This is good to produce 95% OEM brightness. If that is not good enough for you, the dull surface can be made full transparent with clear epoxy or with torch - the light tube is acrylic and can be easily melted. Just take your time and be careful not to break the light rod while shaving off the damaged area.
Thank you for your response. I saw few videos similar to the way that you said and I did the same. While shaving off the burnt area I mistakenly cut off that extra ear off which was there with a stand (which you asked not to cut it off). And then I installed newer LED module and now it's all good. The brightness is slightly lesser compared to the other DRLs. Now I'm thinking to adjust that with the clear epoxy that you mentioned.

And I saw your other thread regarding the Yellow DRLs, and I wanted to know if you had any success in it. I was also interested in that and I was searching a few websites but they did not have the exact pcb(PCB edges and inner cuts were not compatible).

Last edited by bmwdiag123; 02-28-2024 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:36 PM   #4
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

Unfortunately the lights are perma-sealed. The only way I opened mine up was cutting the majority of the lens off, then using a heatgun I soften the housing lip up enough to let me wiggle the remaining edge of lens out with a screw driver prying, it took hours because perma-seal doesn't soften it just stays rock hard.

One night whilst randomly scrolling through aliexpress I did see someone selling the light guides but I can only presume they were used ones as nobody really has the tooling.

They're really sensitive to light so the end needs to be extremely well polished for the best output. My guess would be you've got some sort of scratch or uneven cut from when you removed the melted plastic. Either try clean it up or as you mentioned try a casting epoxy. But yeah Oksamit78's method is the best way to tackle this.

Little demonstration of how these work:

04-10-2024, 08:40 PM   #5
ThatLennyBoi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdiag123 View Post
Thank you for your response. I saw few videos similar to the way that you said and I did the same. While shaving off the burnt area I mistakenly cut off that extra ear off which was there with a stand (which you asked not to cut it off). And then I installed newer LED module and now it's all good. The brightness is slightly lesser compared to the other DRLs. Now I'm thinking to adjust that with the clear epoxy that you mentioned.

And I saw your other thread regarding the Yellow DRLs, and I wanted to know if you had any success in it. I was also interested in that and I was searching a few websites but they did not have the exact pcb(PCB edges and inner cuts were not compatible).
I helped a friend with that issue. Filed off the burnt part and used a tiny polish pad to make it clear again. No need for epoxy if you can polish it one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 10:19 AM   #6
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatLennyBoi View Post
I helped a friend with that issue. Filed off the burnt part and used a tiny polish pad to make it clear again. No need for epoxy if you can polish it one way or another.
Any polishing compound you have used? PC is not that easy to polish dry.
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 0