F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > LED bulb in Depo F30 projector headlights
ARMA SPEED

11-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #45
Machtkampf
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.f.leonard View Post
I might be on to something... i pulled the actual bulb off of the socket and put the adapter on and replaced the bulb piece, but it fits very loosely and i dont see how that could even work?
They do work they are just a pain to get on right if you go in with the whole bulb. It will be loose if you do it that way and try to install the whole led at once, My best approach was using only the little removable tab from the bulb and the H7 adapter first. Match them together remove the front tire for more work space and visibility and install it making sure both sides are hooked on tight. I did use nose plyers today on each side to make sure they were real tight in there then slide in the led bulb all the way in no need to twist or anything and u should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 12:08 AM   #46
navid0308
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Update: ditching the 360 LEDs!

Hey guys, something that's been bugging me about the 360 degree LEDs is that the beam is not focused. So it looks very bright up front and dim in the distance. I decided to try out the Sylvania ZEVO H7 from autozone after watching this:

I must say, even though this LED is a lot lower power, the actual output is better. The beam is focused and on the road it lights up evenly from infront of the car to the distance, which is how it is supposed to be! I put together a few pics, the ones on the right are with the ZEVO led. You can see that the 360 is super bright up front but the brightness drops off in the distance. This caused me a lot of fatigue trying to look ahead when driving for extended periods at night.

These videos were super educational as well:
1. About Multi-sided/360 LEDs:

2. General info on why LEDs need to be shaped a certain way:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #47
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I'm sure the Zevo works well, Sylvania wouldn't sell it otherwise, but I doubt it works better than the LEDs I have that cost 1/3 what the Zevo do. The information in the videos about 360 degree LEDs is useful and accurate, but it's not new. I found similar videos when I was researching LEDs five years ago.

The third video does have some misinformation. They recommend fan heatsinks, which are known to have a high failure rate. Passive heatsinks can't fail. It's true that the highest output LEDs need fan cooling, but the highest output LEDs aren't necessary. Lower output passive cooled LEDs are still on average three times brighter than halogen.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #48
navid0308
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I'm sure the Zevo works well, Sylvania wouldn't sell it otherwise, but I doubt it works better than the LEDs I have that cost 1/3 what the Zevo do. The information in the videos about 360 degree LEDs is useful and accurate, but it's not new. I found similar videos when I was researching LEDs five years ago.

The third video does have some misinformation. They recommend fan heatsinks, which are known to have a high failure rate. Passive heatsinks can't fail. It's true that the highest output LEDs need fan cooling, but the highest output LEDs aren't necessary. Lower output passive cooled LEDs are still on average three times brighter than halogen.
I can say that at just 14 watts a bulb, they do the job much better than halogens. Idk a lot about heatsinks but yeah, passive cooled should be more reliable, just less moving parts (the ZEVO's are passive too). All in all, I just wanted to try out a name brand and take the guessing game out of finding a good LED on amazon; I'm glad I did. $100 is steep for some bulbs but peace of mind is priceless haha!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 11:31 AM   #49
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Most of the wattages listed for LEDs are fake, to take advantage of the uninformed. Wattage doesn't measure light output, it measures power consumption. Since LEDs are more efficient than incandescent they produce far more light with far less power consumption. One average a 15 watt LED produces as much light output as a 100 watt incandescent.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #50
magneon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Did not fit Depo V3 and BMW 2015 328i

Yo. I purchased the Light Moses 360 bulbs for low beams and the recommended retainer clips, and the bulb does not fit the retainer clips. Tried installing the retainer clip upside down, as mentioned in this thread and recommended installation process. I also tried installing the retainer clips right side up...But the bulbs are just too loose. I've been looking around for other retainer clips, they all look the same.

Can anyone recommend retainer clips that are known to work for Light Moses 360 degree bulbs & Depo V3 Projector headlights?

I've contacted the Light Moses support, so far no answer. But I'll give it a few days.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 01:36 AM   #51
navid0308
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneon View Post
Yo. I purchased the Light Moses 360 bulbs for low beams and the recommended retainer clips, and the bulb does not fit the retainer clips. Tried installing the retainer clip upside down, as mentioned in this thread and recommended installation process. I also tried installing the retainer clips right side up...But the bulbs are just too loose. I've been looking around for other retainer clips, they all look the same.

Can anyone recommend retainer clips that are known to work for Light Moses 360 degree bulbs & Depo V3 Projector headlights?

I've contacted the Light Moses support, so far no answer. But I'll give it a few days.
Hey, sorry for the late response. You need to take the collar off the led and install just the collar using the retainer clip. That should be a tight fit. Then you should be able to just push the bulb in.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:48 AM   #52
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I can't say if they will fit, but I wouldn't buy them. The only thing LED about them are the imitation Angel Eyes. The bulbs used are still H7 incandescent.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:39 AM   #53
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I can't recommend any from experience. I was dissatisfied with how my H7 headlights worked, I replaced the halogen bulbs with LED, problem solved. These may be OK, but I'd only buy them after seeing a verified review by someone who has them.
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #54
jodyc256
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
I can't recommend any from experience. I was dissatisfied with how my H7 headlights worked, I replaced the halogen bulbs with LED, problem solved. These may be OK, but I'd only buy them after seeing a verified review by someone who has them.
Do you have the depo projector headlights or factory halogen? What led bulbs did you use?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 02:32 PM   #55
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1377259
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 04:53 PM   #56
jodyc256
Rep

Quote:
I can't say if they will fit, but I wouldn't buy them. The only thing LED about them are the imitation Angel Eyes. The bulbs used are still H7 incandescent.
My apologies Bill as I am unsure who/what this was in response to. What are you saying is not true LED? Are you referencing the Light Moses bulbs discussed in this thread, the Depot headlights in general, or something else? I was considering trying the setup discussed in this thread/using the Light Moses in my Depot's, but don't want to bother if they are not truly LED's. I ask you, as I respect your opinion and was a bit confused as to what you were referencing in the above quote. Thanks, J.C

Last edited by jodyc256; 05-31-2021 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 05:37 PM   #57
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I don't know who the replies were to, a couple of posts were deleted, probably by whoever posted them. It was probably in reference to a complete replacement headlamp that advertises as being LED, but when you look at the details only the angels eyes are LED, while the rest of the bulbs are not. The Light Moses bulbs may be OK, only someone who has them can say for sure. I'm not wild about fan cooled bulbs, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #58
lil mosey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW F30 328I BASE 4 DOOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by navid0308 View Post
Hey guys, something that's been bugging me about the 360 degree LEDs is that the beam is not focused. So it looks very bright up front and dim in the distance. I decided to try out the Sylvania ZEVO H7 from autozone after watching this:

I must say, even though this LED is a lot lower power, the actual output is better. The beam is focused and on the road it lights up evenly from infront of the car to the distance, which is how it is supposed to be! I put together a few pics, the ones on the right are with the ZEVO led. You can see that the 360 is super bright up front but the brightness drops off in the distance. This caused me a lot of fatigue trying to look ahead when driving for extended periods at night.

These videos were super educational as well:
1. About Multi-sided/360 LEDs:

2. General info on why LEDs need to be shaped a certain way:

Hey, bro. Thank you for your advice. Could you provide the link to your ZEVO LED? I can only find SYLVANIA - H7 LED Fog Light from Amazon, I am sure if it's the one you said. Btw, do you use them for both low and high beams?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #59
jodyc256
Rep

Help needed with Light Moses LED's in USR Depot Projectors F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by navid0308 View Post
I had to use the adapters you provided in the link(thanks!). At first I installed the LED cap with the adapter but it wouldn't sit right because I was trying to install it in the same orientation as halogen headlights. You can see in the pics below how the adapter slides more into place in the DEPOs when placed upside down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtkampf View Post
Heres a few pics from tonight. One pic is only low beams on, brigter pic is low beams and fog lights. Its much better with these 360 h7 leds to be honest.
Quote:
I might be on to something... i pulled the actual bulb off of the socket and put the adapter on and replaced the bulb piece, but it fits very loosely and i dont see how that could even work?

I pulled the trigger on the same led's and adapter myself and what a pain in the a** they have proven to be. I've quoted several other users in this thread to hopefully gain some attention from others who have seemingly had success in this endeavor. For starters, I pulled the wheels as I do not see how you could do this without the extra room to work. Let me ask you in the photo is the led collar facing inside the headlight housing or does it protrude outwards or outside the housing(if that makes any sense) In the photo it looks as if it is placed inside the housing. I struggled a great deal with my install and am still uncertain that I have it correct. My beam pattern is way off and for whatever reason I can not adjust it. If I do go to adjust it the led falls out of housing on one side while the other side won't move at all using a screwdriver. I question whether or not I installed them correctly, well obviously I did not. Heck, I had to break the original halogen bulbs just to remove them. I watched a video that showed a simple left twist would remove them. Mine were super tight. I attempted to loosen the two screws, one on each side, to see if that would help, and ended up stripping both screws out. After I eventually removed the halogens and the halogen adapter, I struggled placing the collar and adapter into the housing. I fitted the adapter and the collar together, then eventually got them as close to the photo as I could. I placed the collar on the inside of the housing. When I say "inside" I mean inside the bulb housing with the adapter at its' back. Looking at your photo I can not tell for sure if you did yours the same way or not. It looks as if you did, but it's just difficult to tell for sure. It was a real pain getting the adapter and collar to fit into the low beam little round metal ring in headlight. Any hints, tips, or tricks still appreciated as I will likely have to re-do what I've already done. Oh, yea, not to mention I get a low beam error message upon every start up. This is something I believe/hope that I can and will "code" out as I have everything I need to do so I just have yet to do it. Apart from the error message and the really bad beam pattern that I can not seem to aim/level, the led's work just fine If I could get them to level out I'd be satisfied yet can't drive around at night with one headlight aimed 4 foot higher than the other. When I went to aim them, I initially had no issues, they seemed to be aligning using a screwdriver, until they simply stopped and the screwdriver method began to prove pointless as it had no effect on raising or lowering them. Hopefully, this made some sense as it's difficult to articulate when there doesn't seem to be any set terminology, at least that I am aware of, for all the parts of the headlight and everyone uses different words for different parts( it gets confusing) OK if anyone can make any sense of this and provide any insight/knowledge it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jodyc256; 07-26-2021 at 10:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:53 PM   #60
jodyc256
Rep

Quote:
J.leonard, do you recall if this was the correct way to align the adapter and led collar? I put mine in the exact opposite, with the collar on the opposite side as illustrated below. I can not get my headlights aligned and am concerned it may have to do with me putting the adapter and collar together I incorrectly. Anyone with any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, J. C
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:06 AM   #61
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyc256 View Post
Quote:
J.leonard, do you recall if this was the correct way to align the adapter and led collar? I put mine in the exact opposite, with the collar on the opposite side as illustrated below. I can not get my headlights aligned and am concerned it may have to do with me putting the adapter and collar together I incorrectly. Anyone with any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, J. C
So When you take the stock bulbs out you will notice a collar on those. Remove that but pay attention to how it was installed. Take the new bulbs apart, put the new collar on the back of the smaller piece of the bulb and go ahead and insert it into the housing with the new collar aligned properly. Then you just twist the collar into place to where it hold the smaller piece tight. Then you just slip the bigger part of the headlight into place and you're all set. Its a little hard to explain, but once you look at it closely you will understand what I mean. The biggest part is to take the bulb apart and install the 2 small pieces together first and be sure the adapter is locked into place well.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 02:55 AM   #62
Gilbo335d
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335f F30

Hi chaps. I know this post was last year but any ideas how to get LED bulbs to lock into the Depo headlight unit. I finally found a set that seemed to be secure but after a week I found both had dropped out.
I’ve got the metal bulb holders but they just spin around the bulb base fan and won’t click in. 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 09:42 PM   #63
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
I just bought a 2013 328I for a daily beater. I have bimmer code.

Can I just get these amazon LED bulbs for FACTORY headlights?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AS346V861QKU1

And use my bimmercode app to remove the checking?

Or should I get the sylvania zevos?
      09-19-2021, 08:29 AM   #64
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't recommend a fan cooled bulb, the fans are a weak point. Passive cooled bulbs are two to three times as bright as halogen, so there's no need for a bulb that requires fan cooling. For instance: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K7353HW...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #65
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I wouldn't recommend a fan cooled bulb, the fans are a weak point. Passive cooled bulbs are two to three times as bright as halogen, so there's no need for a bulb that requires fan cooling. For instance: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08K7353HW...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thank you very much. If I order those. Do I need anything else?

And if I want to replace the headlamps all together to get actual halo's. Do I get the DEPOs and just use these LED bulbs?

Or do those headlamps take an entirely different bulb?

My goal is try the LED in the stock housings. And or just buy new plug and play headlamps with real halos and maybe a projector lens.

Thank you for your advice.
      09-26-2021, 04:23 PM   #66
02jcrane
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E63 M6

I was able to install the Moses H7 LED bulbs today. Was pretty easy to install, I had to remove my wheels for better access. I didn't need the adapter. See pictures here:

Remove metal sleeve from Moses bulb, install / secure that in back of headlights first. Once secure, gently push LED bulb into its sleeve, and it should be a tight fit. I'll update with night time pictures later.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0