F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > What would you do? I think detailer scratched my car.
ARMA SPEED

10-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #1
JustMtnB44
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 328i xdrive wagon F31

What would you do? I think detailer scratched my car.

View post on imgur.com

I've been busy and lazy recently so I decided to take my car ('16 BMW 328i wagon) to a local detailer with great reviews to get it detailed. I dropped it off around 12:30 yesterday and it was done around 4:00. I was a bit rushed to get back there before they closed, but when I got there the manager had me take a quick look at it with him before I paid, and told me to let him know if they missed anything. I didn't notice anything but was kind of in a rush to leave.

I got home and parked on the street for a couple hours because we were waiting for someone to pick up some furniture from the garage. Once that was done I moved the car inside. That's when I noticed this huge scratch right above the driver's door.

I know the scratch wasn't there a few weeks ago because I went through the whole car and touched up a bunch of tiny chips and scratches with Dr. Colorchip. I don't think it was there yesterday morning, because it's in such an obvious place. I'm not sure how I didn't notice it before leaving the detail shop. There is a chance it happened while I was parked on the street, but I often park on the street and have never had any issues, plus it's in an odd place to scratch.

I plan to call the shop, but I don't even know what an appropriate course of action is. Ask for some money back? Have them pay for a repair? I certainly don't want them to try and 'fix' it. It's pretty deep and can't be buffed out. I could fill it with many layers of touch up paint I guess. I'm just so frustrated that in trying to make my life easier, it has now become harder.

Last edited by JustMtnB44; 10-09-2021 at 06:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That could have happened five minutes after you left the detailer shop, there's no way to know. I'd let it go and break out the Dr. Colorchip.
Appreciate 0