F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > My bootmod3 review
GetBMWParts

05-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #133
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m2 lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihail.b View Post
An overall update would be good. Especially for the PWG guys considering bm3.

Just an overview of what the root cause was, what ended up resolving it and if the tune was updated to reduce the wastegate flapping.
At the moment the car is feeling great powerfull and smooth no problems at all
Nothing

I will do another log maybe tomorrow
Or tonight

I have been using shell gas and 2 gallons of e85 to help the octane

new charge pipe

And with the whole maintenance I did with walnut shell blast
New spark plugs etc.

The car is feeling good

I'll do another log soon to see how the car is actually looking like

the last log I did ptf said it looked great
      05-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #134
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
so are u still runing BM3 and no issues now???? i m confussed..

the issue was CP leak?
My bad I didn't respond

The car has no issues now
Lol

Knock on wood

The car has been feeling strong and smooth

I'll be posting a log soon

and also send it to ptf just to see what they think

That last log I sent to them they said it looked great

But yes I believe the charge pipe was a little loose and was having a little leak

But the car feels good now
      05-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #135
Kefka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i, 135i, 335i e93/92 , Z4 3

Wow , how a small "detail" becomes a nightmare....

The good thing is that you can enjoy your car now!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:22 PM   #136
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefka View Post
Wow , how a small "detail" becomes a nightmare....

The good thing is that you can enjoy your car now!!
Exactly bro

Trust me I was so close to just selling my car already I was getting fed up QUICK

plus I have other small issues with the car but they are very small

I just need to figure it out with a mechanic

I have a small brake noise

Rear driver side wheel

Makes a noise when I hit the brakes and omg is so annoying lol
      05-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #137
stroker15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I Sportline

Man, after reading all your issues I almost started crying, I feel for you.

As for gas, I don't think you should be adding E85 to help the octane if the tune is for 91 octane. When your tank is almost empty I'd try running it on straight 91 and resetting the learned adaptations so it can adjust to 91. But I'm no mechanic, just guessing here.

As for the gas, I've noticed that my F30 runs not so good on Arco gas, too bad cause it's cheap. On Chevron gas it runs better but still not great, and I used to work for Chevron in a refinery.

I have found that the best gas for my car is either 76 or Shell. They are both equally good. My car runs best on either one. So that's all I use in my car now.

Luckily I have no problems, knock on wood, with my BM3 stage 1 tune 91 octane in LA. But I have an N26 motor.

Good luck Bro.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #138
stroker15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Or maybe it might be better to let it go down a quarter tank and add a quarter tank of straight 91. Slowly mix out the E85 and let your car adapt. Don't reset the learned adaptations, just slowly work out the E85 and over time your car will adjust. If you wanted to be able to just put one gas and not be mixing gas when you fill up.

But to be honest, if my car had your issues I'd be scared to make any changes to what's currently working now. I'm just guessing cause I haven't had your problems, but I do know my car prefers 76 and Shell gas. I use 76 mostly because when using their app it gives me 10 cents a gallon off and Shell only offers a 5 cent discount with their app.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:42 AM   #139
cesarortiz23
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker15 View Post
Man, after reading all your issues I almost started crying, I feel for you.

As for gas, I don't think you should be adding E85 to help the octane if the tune is for 91 octane. When your tank is almost empty I'd try running it on straight 91 and resetting the learned adaptations so it can adjust to 91. But I'm no mechanic, just guessing here.

As for the gas, I've noticed that my F30 runs not so good on Arco gas, too bad cause it's cheap. On Chevron gas it runs better but still not great, and I used to work for Chevron in a refinery.

I have found that the best gas for my car is either 76 or Shell. They are both equally good. My car runs best on either one. So that's all I use in my car now.

Luckily I have no problems, knock on wood, with my BM3 stage 1 tune 91 octane in LA. But I have an N26 motor.

Good luck Bro.
Yeah I feel you on that

Ptf looked at my logs before e85 and they kept noticing timing being not so great
A couple of people did mention it was octane problems

Ptf kept telling octane level was horrible where I lived or the gas station I was using

I used to pump 76 where normally is cheaper than most gas stations but it was a 76

I never pump arco or none of that cheap shit I think the cheapest I can pump is maybe mobile or 76

Any ways ptf told me go fill up the tank with another brand and then add 2 Gallons of e85 and do some logs when I did that

Ptf responded back and told me there it is perfect timing there is no problem with this log

and he told so obviously your issue is octane

So he told me another way to solve it was to just obviously drop even more power on my car

Witch would be dumb if that's the case well I might ass well sell the bm3 lol and be stock

But i started using shell

And this next tank ima just so full she'll and see how the car runs
      05-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #140
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Ok, well here's the deal, if the gas station was selling an octane any less than indicated on the pump then it would be against federal law. If it says 91 and you're getting 89, that's illegal. I used to work in an oil refinery. All gas is tested to meet government specs before it can be released. If a tank don't pass, then it is corrected. So for anyone to say that the octane here is crap is saying that California has a free pass to break the law and the federal government turns a blind eye.

Now some companies may choose to give you a higher octane than indicated on the pump, that's called "giveaway". But not many companies do it because it's throwing away money. It's expensive to boost octane. They cannot sell gas below the stamped octane rating.

Meeting government specs before sending the gasoline, or jet fuel, or diesel, or any finished product is not negotiable. If an entire tank has to be reblended to meet specs then it will be reblended before being released for sale. Otherwise it's illegal and could involve huge fines. So for anyone to say that California sells gasoline that's lower octane than stamped on the pump, I'd like to see their proof.

I have not worked in a California refinery but Federal law is the same across all of America. States can enact stricter laws but not negate or change federal law to be less strict, the law of Preemption. That's how it's supposed to be, but of course we all know that doesn't apply to marijuana.

So when someone says the octane here is crap, I have to say show me the proof, show me the court cases and fines levied on the oil companies here. Or show me that the government has agreed not to test the gas here. Meeting specs is a major big deal in the oil industry. There's other specs besides octane that it has to meet but octane is a huge one, and of course none of the specs can be ignored or fudged. If test results were faked or doctored then people would go to jail.

Unless things have changed so much in the last few years since I retired that anything goes now and there is no law protecting consumers.

If it says 91 on the pump, it's at least 91 octane.
You seem new around here. Every tuner on every car I’ve ever tuned has said the same shit about California 91. Must be detergents or some shit impacting it but its definitely piss poor
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 12:27 AM   #141
stroker15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

And of course after I wrote that someone will post a link to an ethanol fueled dragster that runs the quarter mile in 4 seconds. I don't claim to know everything and I haven't done a ton of research on the subject besides what I've learned at work, but for me personally I'm not a fan of ethanol in gasoline. I do like corn though, just not in my gas tank.

Taken from this site https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_e85.html

"Other than lower miles per gallon, motorists driving FFVs will see little difference when using E85 versus gasoline. Depending on the actual ethanol content, E85 has less energy per gallon than gasoline to varying degrees (the impact on fuel economy lessens as the ethanol content decreases)."

You lose gas mileage because it creates less energy, you need to burn more volume to do the same amount of work. Yes cars can be tuned to run on the stuff but I prefer high energy gasoline that gives me 100% bang for my buck. I'm thinking any issues tuners have is due to ethanol.

Also according to that site, E85 can contain anywhere from 51% to 83% ethanol That's a mighty big difference. I've also seen labels on regular gasoline pumps that say the gas "may" contain up to x percent of ethanol. It's quite hard to properly tune a car when the ethanol content can vary, because it burns differently from gas, less energy. The car should adjust over time though, but varying the amount ethanol can be confusing to a car, I would assume.

Last edited by stroker15; 05-22-2019 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: added detail.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 12:33 AM   #142
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

Quote:
Now with all that said, I have no clue why my car doesn't run as good on Arco gas. I know the octane is what is stamped on the pump, but it's not just octane that determines how your car runs. There's a lot of different ways to boost the octane to meet the spec. Perhaps they use a lot of Toluene which is a high aromatic to boost it. Or it could be their detergent package, or whatever else they are blending into the gasoline. Who knows, but it's not the octane at Arco that makes my car run not as good as it does with other gasoline brands.
I feel like Arco isn't bad. It just doesn't have as many additives that would be better for our engines. Which is why it's less expensive than other gas stations. I agree with you 100% about California gas. We have the strictest laws about any and everything. So our stuff is good. Think about our smog and gun laws. They're strict because of how many people we have in our state. I think we're at 40 million now which is more than a lot of countries, such as Canada. Anyways, thank you for the good write up about gas. It's pretty interesting reading about it coming from someone with personal experience.
      05-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #143
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
stroker15 everyone in 91 oct area adds E85 small amount to increase octane to 93 infact all gasoline has ethanol because that how is octane is raised.

Long story short, if you see any of the jb4 dynos / threads all of them have small amounts of E85 he never dynos on solely 91oct these days because he knows the power gains is so bad he doesn't want customers being so disappointed

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #144
Tpriest7893
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i f30 N55 ( sold)

Garage List
  [0.00]
2012 bmw 335  [0.00]
02 2002 m3 Vert  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkySmoooth View Post
Why are you not using stock plugs? Why has no one recommended this yet?
A Stage 1 tune should run stock plugs.

Every thread I see on here people with issues such as your self, are running different spark plugs.
Go with OEM and it could fix your issues.
I know you are not using MHD, but MHD recommends stock spark plugs.
Changing spark plugs and especially the gap, will fuck with your timing.
Bryan from Kies Motorsports used bm3 and stayed stock plugs until he went pure 2 no issues
Stock intake(had open before and was sick of noise)
BMS CP
550i 351m rims with 275/245 set up.
No tune as of yet.
Appreciate 0