F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Are people stupid enough to believe Boris again?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #199
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

While Boris is still way out in front, it does appear that there is genuine momentum behind Rory Stewart. The betting markets are beginning to show him moving into second place, ahead of Jeremy Hunt, and well ahead of all of the others.

If we end up with Boris and Rory, and if nothing changes, Boris is likely to be chosen by the members. However I can see 2 possible alternative outcomes in that situation:

1. There are enough people who would hate to see Boris become PM, that one of his many skeletons may come back to haunt him, causing him to withdraw, leaving it to Rory.

2. Boris becomes PM and the potential no deal causes a party split. Rory has ruled out serving under Boris, so he could potentially set up a breakaway group - The Real Conservatives perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #200
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
When I look back at every PM since I was old enough to be politically aware (Thatcher / Major / Blair / Brown / Cameron / May) I would say that Boris is quite exceptional in his track record of dishonesty, combined with a level of racism and homophobia which is completely out of line with current norms. I haven't been strongly opposed to any of the 6 PMs from day one, except Boris.

I accept that everyone is imperfect and we all have a few skeletons, but I view Boris as uniquely unqualified for the job, in much the same way as I view Trump. The parallels between the two of them are remarkable. The path from media personality to political leader is a very recent and worrying development.
My point still stands and isn't diluted by your personal opinion on what matters to you and counts as a skeleton.

All of the above could easily be ripped to shreds for their many actions and inactions, and have been regularly. (that doesn't mean you can't argue the opposite and point to their successes but it's just a fact of life when you hold/want that office you're open to attack)

I'm no Boris supporter but people seem to have lost all sense of proportion these days, I blame a lack of interest in/knowledge of history and a dog like propensity to live life in the "twitter moment" without regard to anything else.
      06-16-2019, 06:02 AM   #201
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjos1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
A leopard doesn't change his spots...
BJ's 1982 school report. He would have been 18 at the time
How the fuck do you get somebody's school report from 1982.
What where you up to at 18.
FFS get a life.
School report.
MY ARSE.
All over the news and social media, not difficult.
And I have a life, thanks, so you can f**k right off
      06-16-2019, 06:30 AM   #202
antjos1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f30 330i msport

Quote:
Probably fake news.
Don't be so touchy ,I think I could do something more interesting than reading about a supposedly BJ school report.
And even if it is true it just shows what depth this establishment will do to stop BJ.
Oh and happy Father's Day have a good un.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #203
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Probably fake news.
Don't be so touchy ,I think I could do something more interesting than reading about a supposedly BJ school report.
And even if it is true it just shows what depth this establishment will do to stop BJ.
I think you've just labelled Eton-educated, son of Stanley, media-personality since the 90s, Boris Johnson as anti-establishment

Still, as long as it's not fake news eh?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #204
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
My point still stands and isn't diluted by your personal opinion on what matters to you and counts as a skeleton.

All of the above could easily be ripped to shreds for their many actions and inactions, and have been regularly. (that doesn't mean you can't argue the opposite and point to their successes but it's just a fact of life when you hold/want that office you're open to attack)

I'm no Boris supporter but people seem to have lost all sense of proportion these days, I blame a lack of interest in/knowledge of history and a dog like propensity to live life in the "twitter moment" without regard to anything else.
I don't understand your last point or how it relates to my view of Boris, if it's aimed at me. My view of Boris has been built up over perhaps 15-20 years - having read some of what he has written, and listened to what he has said. I don't bother with Twitter and other social media, except for narrow political campaigns.

He has quite an amusing way with words, so as a media clown on HIGNFY for example, he is well suited to that and his confused state is entertaining. I am amazed that he has risen so high in politics though, as are quite a few who have worked with him. Perhaps I'm rather old-fashioned, but when someone lies extensively, including the £350m a week that started this thread, that should be sufficient to exclude them in my view. I don't understand how he can still be taken seriously.

I appreciate the point that you made before - that the current uncertainty is damaging for business, so even a no deal Brexit has some appeal to you in place of the current chaos. I view a no deal as more damaging than an extended period of uncertainty though. I could be wrong, but I also believe that Boris as a PM would not be able to deliver no deal, so we would descend further into chaos when his government collapses. I see him as the worst of both worlds, in that he would achieve nothing and extend the uncertainty.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #205
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post

I think you are missing the point though. Pretty sure every leader in history, and certainly those mentioned in the post, have strengths and weaknesses, some of which are obvious, some less so, and are reflected in how history views them.

Boris, on the other hand, appears to have no strengths, or than being 'Boris'. You only have to ready anything he has ready, or watch him being interviewed, to realise he is completely clueless. His only skill, and aim, is self promotion, which admittedly, and depressingly, he seems rather good at
Appreciate 2
JD64270.50
      06-17-2019, 03:33 AM   #206
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

It must be time for Sajid Javid and Dominic Raab to withdraw from the contest. Both of them struggled with the debate yesterday and they look increasingly out of place.

Rory Stewart has now moved up firmly into second place, ahead of Jeremy Hunt, according to the betting markets. He made a lot of sense last night, although many, including me, would find it hard to picture him as PM.

I would like to see Rory go up against Boris in a debate. The kind of verbose buffoonery which gets Boris through interviews would be shredded by Rory. Bring it on!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 04:57 AM   #207
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

BJ is very easy to lampoon of course but Rory Bremner nails it every time..

https://twitter.com/rorybremner/stat...183079936?s=09
      06-17-2019, 05:03 AM   #208
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

Quote:
Probably fake news.
Fake news isn't news you don't like. Grow up.
Appreciate 2
1 AKY459.00
      06-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #209
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkiboo View Post
Fake news isn't news you don't like. Grow up.
If you've got the mental stability of Donald Trump, that is precisely the definition of fake news.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 04:43 AM   #210
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Breaking news: BJ does a complete U-turn and pledges his support for Heathrow expansion, having previously threatened to lie down in front of the bulldozers ....and in other news, it is revealed that the Pope is a Catholic
      06-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #211
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
I think the answer to the original question is yes

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...party-destroye

Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #212
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
I think the answer to the original question is yes

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...party-destroye

Yeh, I saw that chart from the poll and it's f***ing staggering if it's to be believed.
So, the vast majority of Tory party members are happy to see significant damage to the UK economy, Scotland and NI leaving the UK and the destruction of their own party in order for Brexit to happen. Not just stupid, but out of their minds and f***ing dangerous. Who are these bellends, seriously!?!?
      06-18-2019, 09:37 AM   #213
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Who are these bellends, seriously!?!?
Many of those bellends are in this thread and other Brexit ones. They want Brexit at all costs; it's like a religion/cult.
Appreciate 2
JD64270.50
      06-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #214
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Quote:
Yeh, I saw that chart from the poll and it's f***ing staggering if it's to be believed.
So, the vast majority of Tory party members are happy to see significant damage to the UK economy, Scotland and NI leaving the UK and the destruction of their own party in order for Brexit to happen. Not just stupid, but out of their minds and f***ing dangerous. Who are these bellends, seriously!?!?
There are 124,000 members of the Conservative party. 892 completed the poll. My maths isn't brilliant but that doesn't sound like the vast majority of Tory party members.

I take this stuff with a pinch of salt.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #215
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is a crazy situation, but I actually think I would vote for Corbyn, with all of the potential risk that brings, rather than vote for someone like Boris. Obviously I would take the Lib Dems in preference to Corbyn, if they are in a credible position.

Like most here I assume, I'm in a financial position which should make me an automatic Conservative voter, but the party has gone off the rails and it's still picking up speed! It can redeem itself with Rory Stewart, or just possibly Jeremy Hunt, but the Conservative Party will probably select Boris and its own demise.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #216
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossi1 View Post
There are 124,000 members of the Conservative party. 892 completed the poll. My maths isn't brilliant but that doesn't sound like the vast majority of Tory party members.

I take this stuff with a pinch of salt.
Come back when you understand statistics.

At least you didn’t just say “fake news”.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #217
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Come back when you understand statistics.

At least you didn’t just say “fake news”.
Yes I understand them all right

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ougov-day-poll

'and based on these results we expect the United Kingdom to continue as a member of the European Union.'
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #218
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Try Googling sample size and confidence intervals. It’s just statistics, but I’m sure you could claim that mathematics is a left wing, remainer conspiracy.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #219
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Try Googling sample size and confidence intervals. It’s just statistics, but I’m sure you could claim that mathematics is a left wing, remainer conspiracy.
The only conspiracy I can see is you trying to dress up a poll as fact.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 11:15 AM   #220
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossi1 View Post
The only conspiracy I can see is you trying to dress up a poll as fact.
You quoted the sample size and suggested the poll was nonsense. Problem for you is that you are going against mathematical facts.

I’m not saying the poll is a fact, I’m saying the poll is a poll. You are saying the sample size of 827 is too small; you are utterly and demonstrably wrong.

Problem is, you have been presented with mathematical facts yet you seem keen to ignore them. I wonder why?
Appreciate 0