F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Shoe Trees which ones are best?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Just treated myself to some new work shoes Loake Archway Oxfords & need some decent cedar trees for them.

Have any of you guys got a good pair you can recommend.
      06-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I didn’t know what the hell a shoe tree is, I had to google it!
Appreciate 1
willjames708.00
      06-05-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Go for the full-foot Woodlore Epic Twin-Tube style ones. I've pretty much replaced all my more basic shoe trees with this style (and I have a lot of shell cordovan shoes to put them in). Off brand ones work fine, and just aren't finished as nicely so you may have to wipe them down with a rag to get residual wood/saw dust off.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 12:35 AM   #4
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:39 AM   #5
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
A random one I know even for here 😂
      06-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #6
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
Just treated myself to some new work shoes Loake Archway Oxfords & need some decent cedar trees for them.

I generally buy the same brand tree as the shoes, the main reason being that their tree should be closer to the last used to make the shoe and the sizing will be accurate for example my 9 1/2 barker trees would stretch my 9 1/2 Loakes as there is a subtle difference in the sizing
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 04:25 AM   #7
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridg View Post
Quote:

I generally buy the same brand tree as the shoes, the main reason being that their tree should be closer to the last used to make the shoe and the sizing will be accurate for example my 9 1/2 barker trees would stretch my 9 1/2 Loakes as there is a subtle difference in the sizing
Thanks for this as it was a concern I had, so have just bought a pair of the Loake trees from the local stockist for collection after work today.
      06-06-2019, 04:51 AM   #8
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Have used these with great success. Had them 4 years and they still work fine.

Premium Pine Shoe Tree Stretchers

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 05:14 AM   #9
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

I have never heard of this before. its got me laughing though.

I've had my work shoes for a good few years, they didn't fall out of a tree so I didn't bother putting them back on a tree.

Is this a serious thread?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #10
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
I have never heard of this before. its got me laughing though.

I've had my work shoes for a good few years, they didn't fall out of a tree so I didn't bother putting them back on a tree.

I think shoes are a bit like watches, you either have an interest or not. I hate new shoes as they take forever to get comfortable by which time they look crap.

I bought some Church shoes for my father of the bride duties, they are beautifully made (and should be!) but god are they uncomfortable. Maybe I need to wear them more... 3 times in 15 months so far...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 06:02 AM   #11
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I think shoes are a bit like watches, you either have an interest or not. I hate new shoes as they take forever to get comfortable by which time they look crap.

I bought some Church shoes for my father of the bride duties, they are beautifully made (and should be!) but god are they uncomfortable. Maybe I need to wear them more... 3 times in 15 months so far...
Answered your own question there! Normally takes me around 15-20 days' wear before the leather becomes soft enough and comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:08 AM   #12
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
I'm afraid so.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #13
Marksw76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320i XDrive M Sport

Quote:

I tend to spend around £400-£500 on a pair of shoes.

People laugh at this, but shoes at that price point and looked after (shoe trees etc) will last 20+ years (just make sure you pick a classic style/colour!). Seriously, how many cheaply made imported shoes would you get through in that time??

The key is, is to wear them regularly but on alternative days (to allow the leather to rest/dry out in between) and you'll find they become much more comfortable, as they'll mould to your foot and develop a really nice patina over the years.
Appreciate 2
Ridg205.00
      06-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #14
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Sorry, I cant stop laughing at this thread. A world I was completely unaware of until I bought a BMW

edit: borrowed a BMW from a lease company
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #15
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksw76 View Post

People laugh at this, but shoes at that price point and looked after (shoe trees etc) will last 20+ years (just make sure you pick a classic style/colour!). Seriously, how many cheaply made imported shoes would you get through in that time??

The key is, is to wear them regularly but on alternative days (to allow the leather to rest/dry out in between) and you'll find they become much more comfortable, as they'll mould to your foot and develop a really nice patina over the years.
wear on alternate days? you mean I have to have more than one pair? isnt that what women do??

what with that, the eight watches I need now, the money going into crypto, ISAs, mods, whatever, I can hardly afford to rent the bllody car now...

Edit: my Church shoes were £500+, after all I had spent on the wedding it seemed like a small price. Still bloody uncomfortable...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #16
JJR4884
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 330Ci | F32 435i

Nice shoes - does Loake offer their own? If it woodlore toe will work just fine. I usually go branded so all of mine are either Alden or AE.... which AE owns woodlore so you can’t go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:18 AM   #17
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:

A pair shoes worn on alternate days will last 20 years? Holy shit.

Keeping it just to work days only that's 2600 days of wear. Never bought £500 shoes, are they really that good?

I generally buy Ecco shoes for work and golf. They can cost anywhere from £80 to £180 depending on how new the style of shoe is to the range. They are very well made and more comfortable from day 1 than any shoes I've had.

They design the shoe round the mechanics of walking and comfort first. Anyone with foot, ankle, leg or back problems would nearly always benefit from them.

I don't really want them to last 20 years though. Generally there are signs of wear after 2 to 3 years, depending on how often worn. I stick them on eBay and Ecco sell really well on there, unbelievable but people will pay £30-50 for my old shoes.

I'm never going to buy shoe trees though, same as I'm never washing my car using two buckets and a grit guard. Each to their own though.....
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #18
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Have got a pair of Loakes trees from the same place I got my shoes from yesterday. The Boot Room on Regent Street L/Spa incredible service well worth a visit if your in Warks. I had not heard about them until my dad said to look into them when chatting to him on the train back from a meeting.

And as previously mentioned a post is worthless with out pics.. here you go
Attached Images

06-06-2019, 09:18 AM   #19
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I've never bothered with shoe trees. I mainly buy Church or Cheaney shoes but don't wear them every day and they're stored carefully so never felt the need for shoe trees.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #20
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Have got a pair of Loakes trees from the same place I got my shoes from yesterday. The Boot Room on Regent Street L/Spa incredible service well worth a visit if your in Warks. I had not heard about them until my dad said to look into them when chatting to him on the train back from a meeting.

And as previously mentioned a post is worthless with out pics.. here you go
They're bigger than I imagined shoe trees to be! Do they all come in a denim finish?
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18751.50
      06-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Quote:

£500 on a pair of shoes!

I thought I was splashing out spending £100 on Ted Bakers!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #22
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
£500 on a pair of shoes!

I thought I was splashing out spending £100 on Ted Bakers!
Just wait till the kids are grown up and you dont know what to spend your money on.... or you are choosing an outfit for your daughters wedding, do you actually look at the price??

When I was your age I am not sure I could afford shoes at all! edit to add - we would get them repaired at the cobblers to save money, can you imagine a millenial doing that....
Appreciate 0