F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Build your own house
Extreme Powerhouse

02-27-2023, 06:03 AM   #67
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I have no idea how managed to build something like that by your self!!

I can probably move the garden furniture around

What was the reason for doing it all by hand?
Because I am stupid! I like a challenge!
I wanted to build a house, not employ others to build it for me. I learned all the important trades many years ago, purely because tradesmen either didn't turn up or didn't do jobs properly, or to my standards.
My job gave me skills in plumbing, heating and electrical. The rest I learned. I enjoy bricklaying, strangely!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 07:53 AM   #68
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
I wanted to build a house, not employ others to build it for me. I learned all the important trades many years ago, purely because tradesmen either didn't turn up or didn't do jobs properly, or to my standards.
My job gave me skills in plumbing, heating and electrical. The rest I learned. I enjoy bricklaying, strangely!
It does look impressive - I wish I had those skills. If you ever fancy building another just to practice, I'd happily provide the site and materials
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 03:33 AM   #69
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Pond
Did you have to incorporate roosting for bats in the rear gable ?
Those are the louvres for the intake and extract to the heat recovery ventilation system (best thing ever invented IMHO).
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 08:28 AM   #70
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
Those are the louvres for the intake and extract to the heat recovery ventilation system (best thing ever invented IMHO).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 04:25 AM   #71
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Our build is progressing (or shall I say demolition) the kitchen/living room last week still looked like rooms.....not any more!

Its actually really exciting to be able to start visualizing the end result, the exposed first floor is essentially where the new link/floating corridor will go to join the two end of the house.

Work on the front has also started, there are even some steels starting to appear around the site. Need to get a move on with glazing orders!

Appreciate 3
JD64215.00
Wills28616.00
JustChris17423.00
      03-25-2023, 10:52 AM   #72
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Where there was once a kitchen and living room is now just a big hole….at least I can get a preview of how ‘airy’ the new entrance will feel like.

Appreciate 1
JD64215.00
      03-25-2023, 11:51 AM   #73
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Where there was once a kitchen and living room is now just a big hole….at least I can get a preview of how ‘airy’ the new entrance will feel like.
I’m sure it’ll be fabulous once it’s done, but this kind of work and seeing the house in that state would scare the crap out of me!

We’re toying with the idea of some kind of interesting new build, but I think we may have to buy the finished article or at least get the finished price tied down in advance.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      03-26-2023, 02:57 AM   #74
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
We’re toying with the idea of some kind of interesting new build, but I think we may have to buy the finished article or at least get the finished price tied down in advance.
The 'problem' is 'design' costs £££££, and am pretty sure every developer will value profit and time over design/interst.

We all only get one chance at life, taking risks (calculated) is what makes life worth living (for me anyways). If we didn't do the house build we wound be pretty much mortgage free before 45, what's the point in than sitting around watching numbers in the bank account go higher??

Time waits for no one, if you get an opportunity to do anything vaguely interesting to you, just go for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 02:58 PM   #75
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
We all only get one chance at life, taking risks (calculated) is what makes life worth living (for me anyways). If we didn't do the house build we wound be pretty much mortgage free before 45, what's the point in than sitting around watching numbers in the bank account go higher??

Time waits for no one, if you get an opportunity to do anything vaguely interesting to you, just go for it.
I don’t really consider myself to be risk-averse, and have made what I have today from risk-taking, but there is something particular about building projects. Perhaps it’s watching too many episodes of Grand Designs, or perhaps it’s just the stage of life, being a decade older than you, where a major overspend could be trickier to recover.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      04-07-2023, 12:39 AM   #76
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

2/3 of the old house is now a hole in the ground!! Original plan was to retain some walls, but it turns out the more the builders dug the more obvious it was how C**P the old house was interms of build. Part of the old corridor didn't even have a foundation!! No wonder we had damp issues in the corridor.

Also spent the afternoon with the windows people, looks like we are going to need alumium smart walls to realise the architecture drawings of the front gable. Essentially our 'domestic ' build is quickly turning into a mini commercial build project.

Concrete is going in next week for the new foundations, with building control coming out. Steels chaps will be round soon to take final measurements before steels are fabricated and goes up........I've stopped asking about cost

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 02:12 AM   #77
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
2/3 of the old house is now a hole in the ground!! Original plan was to retain some walls, but it turns out the more the builders dug the more obvious it was how C**P the old house was interms of build. Part of the old corridor didn't even have a foundation!! No wonder we had damp issues in the corridor.

Also spent the afternoon with the windows people, looks like we are going to need alumium smart walls to realise the architecture drawings of the front gable. Essentially our 'domestic ' build is quickly turning into a mini commercial build project.

Concrete is going in next week for the new foundations, with building control coming out. Steels chaps will be round soon to take final measurements before steels are fabricated and goes up........I've stopped asking about cost

This is exactly why im not interested in getting major building work done, you just know once it starts they are going to find all kinds of hidden issues and costs and length of the project just spiral. "I'm sure it will be worth it in the end"...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 02:24 AM   #78
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyPro View Post
This is exactly why im not interested in getting major building work done, you just know once it starts they are going to find all kinds of hidden issues and costs and length of the project just spiral. "I'm sure it will be worth it in the end"...
Length of time is looking OK but you only live once, so why not do it if you can, well that's what I tell my self anyways
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 03:21 AM   #79
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I don’t really consider myself to be risk-averse, and have made what I have today from risk-taking, but there is something particular about building projects. Perhaps it’s watching too many episodes of Grand Designs, or perhaps it’s just the stage of life, being a decade older than you, where a major overspend could be trickier to recover.
The bit at the end of Gramd Deaigns where they always look 15 years older and the project took 2 years rather than 6 months … and no one wants to say n how much it really costs. 😵
Always epic looking finish on them though, far superior to a commercial build. Needs a good 20 years lives in to pay back!
      04-07-2023, 03:48 AM   #80
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:

This would not sit well with me.

Did you get quotes for a complete demolish and rebuild, if money isnt an option then that would be the route I would have taken.

I suspect that the entire original structure was built to a poor standard and 'tacking on' may not be the most long term financially prudent move.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 04:32 AM   #81
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
This would not sit well with me.

Did you get quotes for a complete demolish and rebuild, if money isnt an option then that would be the route I would have taken.

I suspect that the entire original structure was built to a poor standard and 'tacking on' may not be the most long term financially prudent move.
A full demolish would require taking down the 2015 2 storie extension the last owner added to make VAT qualifying, it would add a good 20-30% to construction costs and than interior costs too.

As it stands 80% of the old house is gone, the structural surveyor has been around every week and doing their due diligence on the construction. I recon we are now coming up to 40 tons of steels, which for a domestic build is pretty mad but essentially the new steels going in is forming the new basis of the house despite no changes in exterior size.

Money is OK, but its not an endless pit. Cannot wait for the foundations to be poured and building to start .
Appreciate 0