F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drivetrain Malfunction/Limp Mode (2013 328i xDrive)
proTUNING Freaks

06-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

Drivetrain Malfunction/Limp Mode (2013 328i xDrive)

Hoping to get some insight on this issue from the smart people on this forum.... was driving normally yesterday afternoon and got the "Drivetrain malfunction.. drive moderately" warning on my iDrive. Felt a definite lost of power, but car was till relatively smooth and able to drive okay. I tried to turn off and on, didn't remove the warning (I did notice rough starting and rough idle as well).

When i got home, I used my cheapo BT OBD2 dongle and pulled the following codes:

1) P0087: Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
2) P15DF: Pressure level in the high-pressure system is lower than the specified value

Any ideas whats going on ? I have been using 89 octane gas over past month and half or so, but threw in 94 octane about 2 days before this happened...... but don't think that should cause any issues ? I am thinking this could be due to fuel pump ?

I called my dealer and earliest time they can book me in (with a loaner) is next Monday .... wondering if driving around in current condition will cause additional damage ?

Car Details:
AUTO 2013 328i xDrive with ~84xxx kms (owned since 48xxx kms) with build date of 01/2013; oil changes every 8-10k KMs; stock tune/unmodified. Only modifications were cosmetic/audio (i.e. steering wheel, LED lights, new underseat subs). Spark plugs were changed about 20xxx KMs ago

Last edited by uncleruckus; 06-11-2018 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: spelling/grammar/additional details
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

I have a F32 428i and the car went into limp mode when I was in the fast lane on the motorway.
I pulled into the hard shoulder and the car ground to a halt.
The fuel pump on the car went. There's been a recall on the fuel pumps.
The whole fuel tank had to be changed.
The car had recently gone of warranty at the time but I raised a case with BMW UK and in the end they waived the cost of the fuel pump and fuel tank but I had to pay for the labour charges.
Sounds like it could be a similar problem with your car. I always fill up with Shell Optimax, the car did feel slightly sluggish a few days before it went.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep

kingmonkey8 thanks for the response! The couple days before it happened, did you get the Drivetrain Malfunction show up, or did that warning just come up when the fuel pump died ?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #4
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleruckus View Post
kingmonkey8 thanks for the response! The couple days before it happened, did you get the Drivetrain Malfunction show up, or did that warning just come up when the fuel pump died ?
No, I only got the Drivetrain Malfunction at the time when it went. The car started to idle rough then wouldn't start after the fuel pump stopped.

There are two pumps in the fuel tank (one on each side). There is a electric motor pump and one that works of the suction to pump the fuel from one side to the other. I was told the suction one went.
I don't understand how that one went as there are no moving parts.
Check with BMW if there was a recall for the fuel pump on your vehicle and whether it was carried out.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep

Just wanted to update this thread for those searching/having similar issues.

Turns out it was the High Pressure Fuel Pump that was dying on my car. Car is at dealers right now getting replacement pump (not 100% sure if that includes the fuel tank or not).

I have extended 3rd party warranty which will cover the cost. Once I get my car back, I can update with more details with the actual fix/work done.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 10:57 PM   #6
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Just wanted to update this thread for those searching/having similar issues.

Turns out it was the High Pressure Fuel Pump that was dying on my car. Car is at dealers right now getting replacement pump (not 100% sure if that includes the fuel tank or not).

I have extended 3rd party warranty which will cover the cost. Once I get my car back, I can update with more details with the actual fix/work done.
Which 3rd party warranty do you have and at what mileage did you purchase?

(considering one)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

(considering one)
Sorry sspade I totally missed your post on this thread... was just looking through some old stuff and saw it now.

I can't remember the 3rd party warranty, but I am from Canada, so I don't think it would be helpful for you? Did you end up getting a 3rd party warranty ?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #8
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

(considering one)
Sorry sspade I totally missed your post on this thread... was just looking through some old stuff and saw it now.

I can't remember the 3rd party warranty, but I am from Canada, so I don't think it would be helpful for you? Did you end up getting a 3rd party warranty ?
No worries... I did not. Im completely on my on at 71k miles.

No real issues to speak of, so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #9
ademt
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Same issue! I have 2015 328i with 72000 miles and experienced the same thing. The first time, I was low on gas and I thought that was the reason as the car started to shake and vibrate. I got gas and turned my car back on but it was shaking again. Drove the car back home and couple hours later, I started the car and it was perfectly fine.
2 weeks after, it did the same thing when I was on vacation. Ruined my trip and I had to drive back 300 miles in fear. Luckily I was able to drive back.
I went to dealer for diagnoses and they found out that the low pressure fuel pump is intermittently faulty. ($1000 quote)
I will go to independent shop tomorrow to fix it for $550 but the shop says if the low pressure fuel pump needs to be replaced, you better of replace the module. He recommends replacing high pressure fuel pump as well. (Another $550)
Appreciate 0