F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > ST XA Owners - Are you happy with your coilovers? Chime in here
Extreme Powerhouse

10-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
younggunz88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M Sport

ST XA Owners - Are you happy with your coilovers? Chime in here

Hello everyone. I am on the fence about getting these coilovers for my 340i M Sport (RWD). I want to hear what current ST XA owners have to say about the ride quality and if the dampening system is good enough to avoid those bone shaking feels that other coilovers systems are known for.

While I get that lowering a car always sacrifices some comfort, are these coils good enough where a “non-car” person will not notice every single bump in the road? Thats like the ultimate test for me since it would suck for a great looking car to feel like a piece of junk due to the ride quality.

Let me know your experience with this suspension!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 12:23 AM   #2
nadefade
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggunz88 View Post
Hello everyone. I am on the fence about getting these coilovers for my 340i M Sport (RWD). I want to hear what current ST XA owners have to say about the ride quality and if the dampening system is good enough to avoid those bone shaking feels that other coilovers systems are known for.

While I get that lowering a car always sacrifices some comfort, are these coils good enough where a “non-car” person will not notice every single bump in the road? Thats like the ultimate test for me since it would suck for a great looking car to feel like a piece of junk due to the ride quality.

I love them on my RWD 340i. I was worried they would be uncomfortable as well, but being able to adjust the rebound is clutch. I set them to 11 clicks open which has the comfort feeling "OEM plus" (factory recommended 9 was too firm at low speeds for my taste). They are firm, but not at all uncomfortable at this setting, and my fiancé doesn't notice a difference. There is a considerable drop at the highest setting though, so I have to be careful with my front lip. However, this results in the perfect stance for me with no wheel gap. 10/10 would recommend, especially at $950 shipped from Vivid Racing.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
younggunz88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadefade View Post
I love them on my RWD 340i. I was worried they would be uncomfortable as well, but being able to adjust the rebound is clutch. I set them to 11 clicks open which has the comfort feeling "OEM plus" (factory recommended 9 was too firm at low speeds for my taste). They are firm, but not at all uncomfortable at this setting, and my fiancé doesn't notice a difference. There is a considerable drop at the highest setting though, so I have to be careful with my front lip. However, this results in the perfect stance for me with no wheel gap. 10/10 would recommend, especially at $950 shipped from Vivid Racing.
Thanks for your info. Any pics of your car with your current stance? Also, I saw a dude here with an F32 and he had his at dampening at 8 all around. With this suspension is the number being higher for a firmer or softer feel?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
nadefade
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your info. Any pics of your car with your current stance? Also, I saw a dude here with an F32 and he had his at dampening at 8 all around. With this suspension is the number being higher for a firmer or softer feel?
You would start at the firmest setting (being 0), and open up counterclockwise toward the softest setting. As such, 11 would generally be softer than 8, but it really comes down to personal preference/tolerance and the condition of your local roads.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
younggunz88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You would start at the firmest setting (being 0), and open up counterclockwise toward the softest setting. As such, 11 would generally be softer than 8, but it really comes down to personal preference/tolerance and the condition of your local roads.
Gotcha. Thanks again for your feedback. Stance looks good! I have 403m wheels on mine which I’d put spacers on for more flush look once i drop it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:02 AM   #6
manghong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

Quote:

If comfort is your first priority, I think you will be satisfy with the ST XA, I had them for over 2 years now and never had any complaint about the ride quality. And it is actually a bit too comfortable to my taste while I'm doing aggressive driving. And it is definitely more comfort compared to my friend's F30 on PSS10.
      10-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
younggunz88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manghong View Post
If comfort is your first priority, I think you will be satisfy with the ST XA, I had them for over 2 years now and never had any complaint about the ride quality. And it is actually a bit too comfortable to my taste while I'm doing aggressive driving. And it is definitely more comfort compared to my friend's F30 on PSS10.
Good to hear. Thanks for your input!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #8
philip_pino
Rep
Drives: e46 m3, f30 328i

3k miles in and loving them so far. Very reassuring that owners of 2 years can still vouch for them. I find them much more comfortable than stock suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
younggunz88
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip_pino View Post
3k miles in and loving them so far. Very reassuring that owners of 2 years can still vouch for them. I find them much more comfortable than stock suspension
Nice! I ordered mine last week but i wont be getting them till mid to late November. ECS tuning had them on sale for $935 so i jumped on them immediately. While I am waiting on them to come in, ordering a set of brand new wheels so that i can slap on everything together and finish the exterior
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #10
MoveOverB58
MoveOverB58
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i RWD M-Sport

Quote:
Ride height looks amazing! I am also looking into these coils and your input is definitely helping me steer into the ST direction. In that picture are you max'ed out on the coils or still have some room to play?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 09:28 PM   #11
nadefade
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveOverB58 View Post
Quote:
Ride height looks amazing! I am also looking into these coils and your input is definitely helping me steer into the ST direction. In that picture are you max'ed out on the coils or still have some room to play?
I thought I set it at the highest setting based on the installation paperwork.. I'm going to see if I can raise the front a tad though. There's definitely room to drop it more
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 11:57 PM   #12
MoveOverB58
MoveOverB58
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I thought I set it at the highest setting based on the installation paperwork.. I'm going to see if I can raise the front a tad though. There's definitely room to drop it more
Very nice shot of the inside, definitely looks like you got a good amount of play in there. Looking to have the availability of a comfortable ride height while knowing I can always drop it more and still drive comfy on it.
The new wheels are looking very clean vs the stocks! Guessing they’re 18’s too
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Looks great

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 02:20 PM   #14
SoCalCarGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440ix cpe + 2018 x4 m40i

Just installed today on my 440ix XA coilovers and millway street plates.
previous setup: M sport adaptive suspension, H&R sport springs, dinan bumpstops and dinan shockware.

Initial impressions: car rides better and is more compliant over bumps than previous setup. Its really supple ride surprisingly. The NVH is is minimal; there is a bit more front suspension noise above 80mph (on Los Angeles Highways), but nothing that would alert the passengers that there is anything wrong. I haven't had a change to dial in or change rebound (set to 9 clicks from stiff based on ST recs). Through turns the car is much flatter, with no real body roll. And the car is 100% better during midcorner bumps. before it would dislodge and now it seems to just eat the bump up.

I will post more updates as I get more seat time, but so far I am happy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 11:32 PM   #15
MoveOverB58
MoveOverB58
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCarGuy View Post
Just installed today on my 440ix XA coilovers and millway street plates.
previous setup: M sport adaptive suspension, H&R sport springs, dinan bumpstops and dinan shockware.

Initial impressions: car rides better and is more compliant over bumps than previous setup. Its really supple ride surprisingly. The NVH is is minimal; there is a bit more front suspension noise above 80mph (on Los Angeles Highways), but nothing that would alert the passengers that there is anything wrong. I haven't had a change to dial in or change rebound (set to 9 clicks from stiff based on ST recs). Through turns the car is much flatter, with no real body roll. And the car is 100% better during midcorner bumps. before it would dislodge and now it seems to just eat the bump up.

I will post more updates as I get more seat time, but so far I am happy.
How's the coilovers treating you so far? Are you running stock wheels, if so, any spacers? On the verge of pulling the trigger but waiting on a good deal
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 11:47 AM   #16
SoCalCarGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How's the coilovers treating you so far? Are you running stock wheels, if so, any spacers? On the verge of pulling the trigger but waiting on a good deal
100% recommend my setup. I am running m4 comp stock size 19x8.5 and 9.5 wheels staggered 255 and 225 MP4S. I had the car dialed in per millways specs (-2.5* up front with 2mm toe out and -2.0 in back with 3mm toe in). I need to get used to the turn in being so much faster. Car is so flat through turns and just soaks up bumps now. You don't realize how bad the stock damping is until you have different struts/shocks on the car.

I ran 10/15mm wheel spacers when I first bought the car and it made the car feel heavy and and worse handling. I removed and sold them within weeks from both my x4 and 440ix.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 10:19 PM   #17
MoveOverB58
MoveOverB58
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCarGuy View Post
100% recommend my setup. I am running m4 comp stock size 19x8.5 and 9.5 wheels staggered 255 and 225 MP4S. I had the car dialed in per millways specs (-2.5* up front with 2mm toe out and -2.0 in back with 3mm toe in). I need to get used to the turn in being so much faster. Car is so flat through turns and just soaks up bumps now. You don't realize how bad the stock damping is until you have different struts/shocks on the car.

I ran 10/15mm wheel spacers when I first bought the car and it made the car feel heavy and and worse handling. I removed and sold them within weeks from both my x4 and 440ix.
Nice man, she must be looking sooo clean! Those are the 825M right? I have the 704M wheels, 19" stock wheels with the run flats still, so they'll definitely need some spacing out if I don't get some wheels ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #18
SoCalCarGuy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice man, she must be looking sooo clean! Those are the 825M right? I have the 704M wheels, 19" stock wheels with the run flats still, so they'll definitely need some spacing out if I don't get some wheels ASAP.
they are 666m actually.

car is dirty
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #19
Jayvong
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Man your set up looks so good, looks like Apex EC-7? What are your wheel and tire specs if you don't mind? I have Arc-8's waiting to be put on and still debating on which set of coilovers to go with.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 06:27 PM   #20
nadefade
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayvong View Post
Quote:
Man your set up looks so good, looks like Apex EC-7? What are your wheel and tire specs if you don't mind? I have Arc-8's waiting to be put on and still debating on which set of coilovers to go with.
Thank you! Here she is out at Sonoma for an HPDE.

18x9" ET31 on 255/40 PS4S up front
18x9.5" ET43 on 285/35 PS4S out back

Added Millway street plates up front, as I was getting some rub without (even with a fender roll). 8.5", >ET31 offset, or 245s would be a better fit if you're not adding camber plates, but I wanted the meatier look and more concave profile.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 10:21 AM   #21
Jayvong
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:

Added Millway street plates up front, as I was getting some rub without (even with a fender roll). 8.5", >ET31 offset, or 245s would be a better fit if you're not adding camber plates, but I wanted the meatier look and more concave profile.
Appreciate the info, my setup will be 18x9 with 255/40 up front too. Were you rubbing at all times or only on track days? I am leaning towards ST XA so I guess I should expect some rubbing until I figure what I'd like to do for more camber up front.

Also, your front lip, do you have a link for that? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 07:45 PM   #22
nadefade
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayvong View Post
Quote:

Appreciate the info, my setup will be 18x9 with 255/40 up front too. Were you rubbing at all times or only on track days? I am leaning towards ST XA so I guess I should expect some rubbing until I figure what I'd like to do for more camber up front.

Also, your front lip, do you have a link for that? Thanks!
What offset? Really depends on the exact wheel spec and tire, as some are wider than others. I was getting rub on deep compression (think dips on the freeway), but I would recommend getting your front fenders rolled beforehand.

AP style lip on eBay. Didn't want to spend a whole lot on what might be a disposable item (especially at this ride height). Fitment isn't bad and I'm overall happy with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12391721603...#38;media=COPY
Appreciate 1