F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Next...
proTUNING Freaks

10-21-2020, 02:29 AM   #89
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
My only experience with an an rs4 is when I saw one drive by in the neighbourhood 2 days ago(quiet residential area). Safe to say that even the elderly folks on the pavement with their hearing impairments seemed to wince and reach for their ears(haven't seen this with the m5 which an elderly neighbour owns) could be a good or a bad thing...or the rs4 driver in question could just have been a attention seeking young lad
it has a switchable exhaust and as with the M5 mine will be in quiet mode when in built up areas so as not to attract attention.... one of the plus points to me is they can fly under the radar and are too quiet according to many owners!
wonderful..never knew that m and rs cars had switchable exhausts. So they don't have any negatives then
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:01 AM   #90
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
wonderful..never knew that m and rs cars had switchable exhausts. So they don't have any negatives then
well the M was louder outside than in even with the exhaust set to quieter setting. Also when very cold /first started it didnt bother changing up early so as not to labour the engine which meant my first 100 yards with a 90 degree turn in the middle were all done in first gear, the neighbours didnt like that!

And its too big to track / i dont drive well enough, and there are very limited opportunities to use 600hp on the road and keep your licence or life....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:18 AM   #91
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Quote:
well the M was louder outside than in even with the exhaust set to quieter setting. Also when very cold /first started it didnt bother changing up early so as not to labour the engine which meant my first 100 yards with a 90 degree turn in the middle were all done in first gear, the neighbours didnt like that!

And its too big to track / i dont drive well enough, and there are very limited opportunities to use 600hp on the road and keep your licence or life....
RS series is more "user-friendly" than M (imho) and your neighbours should be more relaxed now. Although looking at attached pic , with ABT pack , you would have though differently

If you are going to visit Waddesdon Manor again ,please give me a shout and we can have some spirited drive through Chiltern hills

Name:  RS6-R-1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  244.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:21 AM   #92
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
that is a polish home mate. I have a home exactly like that built around 1990 in Poland (inherited via inlaws,) and looks just like that. Hope you don't have a 'kuna' in the attic too
We tend to build them in similar fashion hahaha , you should see garden tho ! sorry OP.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:24 AM   #93
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
RS series is more "user-friendly" than M (imho) and your neighbours should be more relaxed now. Although looking at attached pic , with ABT pack , you would have though differently

If you are going to visit Waddesdon Manor again ,please give me a shout and we can have some spirited drive through Chiltern hills

Attachment 2442945
Will that fit through the Chiltern Hills

Nice car but I think Isleofwhytes is much better suited to UK roads.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 03:32 AM   #94
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Attachment 2442945
Sounds good to me - no ABT mods going near it, will be staying as Audi intended.

A few others in the vicinity so we could have a selection of cars next spring for that spirited drive.....
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #95
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
My 840i GC has a switchable exhaust as standard too. It sounds reasonably fierce in sports mode with a deeper growl and a few mild pops and bangs - slightly odd on something of its size! It does seem to be getting increasingly common.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:49 AM   #96
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
My 840i GC has a switchable exhaust as standard too. It sounds reasonably fierce in sports mode with a deeper growl and a few mild pops and bangs - slightly odd on something of its size! It does seem to be getting increasingly common.
Whereas my M2 is very quiet, probably my only gripe with the car.

I did look into getting a Remus exhaust, they quoted me just under 3k and the insurance company wanted another 2k to cover it so what with that and BMW getting tetchy with mods I soon dropped that idea!!!
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      10-21-2020, 09:14 AM   #97
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
set car in Sports Plus before you start the engine - if engine is warm and ambient temp right - start-up is very dramatic then !
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      10-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #98
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
set car in Sports Plus before you start the engine - if engine is warm and ambient temp right - start-up is very dramatic then !
I have tried doing this in Sport and it does make me smile although I feel like a bit of a yobbo.

I assumed that as the exhaust valve has just 2 positions (I think) - that Sport and Sport Plus would be the same on startup - I have to try this!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:55 PM   #99
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post

I did look into getting a Remus exhaust, they quoted me just under 3k and the insurance company wanted another 2k to cover it so what with that and BMW getting tetchy with mods I soon dropped that idea!!!
Very strange of BMW to put a louder, switchable exhaust on an 840i and not on an M2! If it's only one of them, it really should be the other way around...

I'm staggered at the £2k insurance increase for a fairly minor modification which doesn't alter performance in a meaningful way!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #100
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Quote:

2k to insure the exhaust that's insane
      10-21-2020, 01:36 PM   #101
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Luvverly, I hope you enjoy it!! Nothing beats a rapid estate like that and I think Audi are the best at it. A real wolf in sheep's clothing. Am envious Reckon that would last about a fortnight on my drive, sadly....
      10-21-2020, 02:11 PM   #102
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Luvverly, I hope you enjoy it!! Nothing beats a rapid estate like that and I think Audi are the best at it. A real wolf in sheep's clothing. Am envious Reckon that would last about a fortnight on my drive, sadly....
That bit does worry me - but I am not about to make my choices based on some miserable scrotes who cant be arsed to work...I may change my mind on that but given we have communal garages (we have two in a block of 4 behind the house) they may have difficulty working out which house it belongs to....and keys will be well hidden. I'm hoping the Aston V8, Merc GLE 53 coupe, myriad RRs, and upmarket BMs will prove more tempting on the estate...

And if it gets nicked its insured.... very well! Definitely going for the higher GAP cover as not sure I could repeat the discount....so RTI no good....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #103
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Quote:
That bit does worry me - but I am not about to make my choices based on some miserable scrotes who cant be arsed to work...I may change my mind on that but given we have communal garages (we have two in a block of 4 behind the house) they may have difficulty working out which house it belongs to....and keys will be well hidden. I'm hoping the Aston V8, Merc GLE 53 coupe, myriad RRs, and upmarket BMs will prove more tempting on the estate...

And if it gets nicked its insured.... very well! Definitely going for the higher GAP cover as not sure I could repeat the discount....so RTI no good....
Don't let me put you off one bit, it's a fabulous car and it sounds like you have a good setup, security wise. So relax and enjoy
If I hadn't been broken into last January, I wouldn't be driving a diesel Golf right now, I can assure you! Might well be in a swift Audi estate, in fact
      10-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #104
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Very strange of BMW to put a louder, switchable exhaust on an 840i and not on an M2! If it's only one of them, it really should be the other way around...

I'm staggered at the £2k insurance increase for a fairly minor modification which doesn't alter performance in a meaningful way!
As far as I am aware it is not switchable but does sound slightly throatier in SportsPlus but nothing particularly special.

Yes the insurance was a bit of a shock I am with Lloyd's Bank and i got the distinct impression they dont want modified cars on the books so quote ridiculous amounts to put you off. I might have been tempted to cancel and find insurance elsewhere but it seems alot of faff for a bit of extra noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #105
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Don't let me put you off one bit, it's a fabulous car and it sounds like you have a good setup, security wise. So relax and enjoy
If I hadn't been broken into last January, I wouldn't be driving a diesel Golf right now, I can assure you! Might well be in a swift Audi estate, in fact
It wont put me off, been here 3 years and had no problems. Besides the daughter has a nice car as does son in law.... plenty to choose from near our house and they are on the drive! Of course they may prefer the 2004 Pug 206 1.1....
Appreciate 1