F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Winter Tire choice for 440I Xdrive Coupe
ARMA SPEED

10-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #1
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Winter Tire choice for 440I Xdrive Coupe

winter is about to hit so I'm looking to get a set of winter tires and rims and would like to get some suggestions.
I currently have 19 staggered 225 front 255 back OEM set up, and I want to go to 18 225 square for winter set, will that off set anything?
Any suggestion on rims and tires? I'm looking at Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 suggested by friends, will cheap rim hold up during winter? Also is TPMS required for new rims or can I just swapping them in and out from my OEM one?

Last edited by Alvin Mpower; 10-08-2020 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=423

FWIW 17s are best for winter rims/tires. The higher sidewall greatly reduces the risk of pothole damage to both the wheels and tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

I run a similar staggered setup except on the stock 18s and run square 17s for winter. I bought rims off Ebay. Rims dont matter much except for fit, obviously. Pay attention to offset which I learned about the wrong way after I bought my first set.

Blizzaks, for the price, are completely overrated, IMO. Any brand name will perform perfectly. No one will mount your rims and tires without TPMS. Ebay again for this! And they dont actually have to work, they just have to be included on the install.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 11:17 PM   #4
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

18x8s would fit your 225 square setup nicely. A winter-resistant finish helps, imo.
My guess is 17s will likely have issues clearing your big brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:45 AM   #5
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

I’m running 225/18 square setup with NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R3s.

The R3s are also available in run flats if you so desire.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #6
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

what PSI should I do for 18 225 square setup, the recommended on the door is only for the 19 inch set up.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #7
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

It depends on what kind of winter conditions are you preparing for. Cold? Snow? Ice? Rain? Dry?

Spent one winter (mostly dry and wet here) on 18" 225's squared and they don't provide enough traction for my taste. However, if you are facing lot of snow, this setup works very well.

The tire choice again depends on the conditions. The currently best rated high performance winter tires are possibly Goodyear UltraGrip Performance+, Michelin Pilot Alpin 5, Continental WinterContact TS860P or Vredestein Wintrac Pro. Again, if you are regularly having lot of snow, you might be interested in snow-/ice-oriented tires as Hakkapeliitta (that are very compromised especially in dry conditions and higher temps).
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #8
Dpwhit3
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Smurf View Post
I run a similar staggered setup except on the stock 18s and run square 17s for winter. I bought rims off Ebay. Rims dont matter much except for fit, obviously. Pay attention to offset which I learned about the wrong way after I bought my first set.

Blizzaks, for the price, are completely overrated, IMO. Any brand name will perform perfectly. No one will mount your rims and tires without TPMS. Ebay again for this! And they dont actually have to work, they just have to be included on the install.
Could you elaborate a bit on the offset issue you had? I am looking at getting a set of winter tires and rims and have been reading quite a bit, but I am still confused. My current setup is staggered 225/35 front and 255/30 in the rear on 20's. Looking to go with a square 225 setup as well.

Most of what I've been looking at has offsets in the 35-47 range. Shooting for an 18 inch rim to clear my brakes. Have the blue Msport ones
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #9
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

I run Pirelli Sottozero 3's on mine during the winter in upstate NY (tons and tons of snow) and they were excellent. I never felt like I wasn't in control or like I'd get stuck. This is in a 428GC xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:56 AM   #10
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpwhit3 View Post
Could you elaborate a bit on the offset issue you had? I am looking at getting a set of winter tires and rims and have been reading quite a bit, but I am still confused. My current setup is staggered 225/35 front and 255/30 in the rear on 20's. Looking to go with a square 225 setup as well.

Most of what I've been looking at has offsets in the 35-47 range. Shooting for an 18 inch rim to clear my brakes. Have the blue Msport ones
It wasn't so much of an "issue" but rather an aesthetic annoyance that was rectified by installing spacers. WHen it came time to replace the rims due to winter corrosion, I found a set with 40 offset and sold the spacers.

Your offset range sounds right, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #11
obzen
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i Gran Coupe

First winter with rwd here I stocked up with sottozero 3s. Wheels are 19s which I know isn't ideal for winter but I love the look. Time to buy some mudflaps
//MST intake
//AutoTechnik brace
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
RWD 435 here and I'll cast another vote for the Sottozero 3's. It's a great tire that works well in a wide range of weather conditions.

I'm running them on a square 18" set up. My M Sport brakes wouldn't allow me to go any smaller.
      10-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #13
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
RWD 435 here and I'll cast another vote for the Sottozero 3's. It's a great tire that works well in a wide range of weather conditions.

I'm running them on a square 18" set up. My M Sport brakes wouldn't allow me to go any smaller.
Well, they scored as 19th out of 20 in the current, possibly the most respected european, comparison test of UHP winter tires: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...-Tyre-Test.htm .

My experience is similar, if not worse. Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #14
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
Well, they scored as 19th out of 20 in the current, possibly the most respected european, comparison test of UHP winter tires: https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...-Tyre-Test.htm .

My experience is similar, if not worse. Just saying.
IF I had to choose a tire category that seems to be a complete waste of money, it would be the "performance" winter tires.

I suppose we all get sucked into the idea that since we love and drive performance machines, nothing but "performance" gear belongs on these cars. my .02
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #15
ktw
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 f31 328i xDrive

For applications that are more mixed conditions and not primarily snow/ice, Nokian WRG4 tires are worth a look. They're in the "all-weather" category between all-season and full-on winter tires. They work great as winter tires in California where I spend most time on dry/wet/relatively warm roads (winters wouldn't make sense) but then offer good grip on snow/ice when I make a trip to the Sierra (way better than any all-season I've driven in snow).
      10-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #16
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

ktw: do those Nokian carry a tread wear rating?
I drive X3, just moved to Gardnerville, NV...I am very close to Tahoe and will be up there a lot in winter...maybe good pick for year round use?

Last edited by Wgosma; 10-13-2020 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #17
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
Sadly on this side of the pond, they don't do any type of testing like this, nor do we have that type of selection to choose from. The closest we have for ratings is from TireRack where the Sottozero lands lands mid-pack in it's class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Smurf View Post
IF I had to choose a tire category that seems to be a complete waste of money, it would be the "performance" winter tires.

I suppose we all get sucked into the idea that since we love and drive performance machines, nothing but "performance" gear belongs on these cars. my .02
For me I chose a tire from that category not because of the performance, but because of the climate. Where I live I will see temperatures range from 0F to 70F...sometimes in the same day. Ice and rain along with long periods of dry cold roads are common and we only few light snow storms a year.

A more "serious" snow tire like the Blizzaks would not hold up as well in the warmer temperatures or endless miles on dry roads for weeks/months on end.

Where I'm at it's too cold and just a bit too snowy for an all season tire, but too warm and not snowy enough for the softer deep snow snow tires. The performance tires like the Sottozero's work perfectly in these conditions.
      10-13-2020, 11:32 PM   #18
ktw
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 f31 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
I drive X3, just moved to Gardnerville, NV...I am very close to Tahoe and will be up there a lot in winter...maybe good pick for year round use?
I think they have a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty, but it might be reduced for cars that don't recommend rotations. (I suppose you could just go ahead and get rotations if it's a square setup.) I haven't looked into how much Nokian are sticklers on those details to honor the warranty since I figure they won't accept my own mileage recordings when I swap summers/winters myself.

But I have to say I've been quite happy with the tires. Not the quietest ride but acceptable and dry performance on par with typical all seasons. In the snow they have always impressed. I'm sure a dedicated winter is a step up, but the WRGs are way ahead of most all seasons. Certainly have seen some cars in the rearview spin out on Carson Pass while I was just fine!
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      10-14-2020, 08:35 AM   #19
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktw View Post
Quote:
I think they have a 60,000 mile tread wear warranty, but it might be reduced for cars that don't recommend rotations. (I suppose you could just go ahead and get rotations if it's a square setup.) I haven't looked into how much Nokian are sticklers on those details to honor the warranty since I figure they won't accept my own mileage recordings when I swap summers/winters myself.

But I have to say I've been quite happy with the tires. Not the quietest ride but acceptable and dry performance on par with typical all seasons. In the snow they have always impressed. I'm sure a dedicated winter is a step up, but the WRGs are way ahead of most all seasons. Certainly have seen some cars in the rearview spin out on Carson Pass while I was just fine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktw View Post
Quote:

Thanks. I've got near new Yoko Avid GT all seasons on the X3- will see if they are decent this winter, then decide if I go Nokian, etc.
I had Blizzacks in old E36 sedan when I lived in Idaho so I know a dedicated winter tire is superior to AS. The Nokian all weather sounds promising.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #20
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

For me I chose a tire from that category not because of the performance, but because of the climate. Where I live I will see temperatures range from 0F to 70F...sometimes in the same day. Ice and rain along with long periods of dry cold roads are common and we only few light snow storms a year.

A more "serious" snow tire like the Blizzaks would not hold up as well in the warmer temperatures or endless miles on dry roads for weeks/months on end.

Where I'm at it's too cold and just a bit too snowy for an all season tire, but too warm and not snowy enough for the softer deep snow snow tires. The performance tires like the Sottozero's work perfectly in these conditions.
I stand corrected. Makes perfect sense in this scenario
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #21
Alvin Mpower
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey guys, I just find a set of new Rim and Tire from someone of facebook marketplace, he is selling his brand new m340i 19in rims and tires, less than 100 miles on them, will this fit my 440i? The rim looks exactly the same as my current rims.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:01 PM   #22
M Smurf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrizenashisland View Post
Hey guys, I just find a set of new Rim and Tire from someone of facebook marketplace, he is selling his brand new m340i 19in rims and tires, less than 100 miles on them, will this fit my 440i? The rim looks exactly the same as my current rims.
depends on tire size
Appreciate 0