F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan free flow exhaust - drone or no drone?
Studio RSR

04-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #1
Cyrca
Rep
Drives: Black N55 M Sport

Dinan free flow exhaust - drone or no drone?

Does anyone have any personal experience with a catless + dinan axleback setup?
Ready to buy a new exhaust but do not want to spend money and install something that I will become frustrated with.
Stuck between Dinan and Remus.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

No personal experience, just YouTube vids. I like Remus sound and quality over Dinan. Dinan is heavy also

although it's not apples to apples, Dinan drones at low rpm under load on my N20 and I'm not impressed with the welds, overall quality and heavier than stock weight. IMO, Dinan is quite overpriced and their products haven't been the same since Steve left.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 04-27-2019 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

The Remus sounds great. I don't like the tips though. I ended up with Dinan and love it although I have a stock DP. Will be installing my high flow catted DP soon.

Dinan has great tips.
      04-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
Cyrca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
The Remus sounds great. I don't like the tips though. I ended up with Dinan and love it although I have a stock DP. Will be installing my high flow catted DP soon.

Dinan has great tips.
Does dinan have a noticeably deeper sound than stock?
Youtube videos are the worst enemy when it comes to audio decisions
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrca View Post
Quote:

Dinan has great tips.
Does dinan have a noticeably deeper sound than stock?
Youtube videos are the worst enemy when it comes to audio decisions
Yeah, I think it does. But it could be a little louder in my opinion. Hoping the DP helps this.
      04-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
OneGoodStorm
Not 1st = Last
Rep
Drives: '13 335i / '13 535 / '18 430GC

Quote:
Does anyone have any personal experience with a catless + dinan axleback setup?
Ready to buy a new exhaust but do not want to spend money and install something that I will become frustrated with.
Stuck between Dinan and Remus.
I have the dinan + vrsf catless down pipe. Its a deep tone, I've only compared it side by side to MPE+dp and its noticeably deeper. Low rpm grumbling with high rpm pops and bangs.
2018 BMW 430xi Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

I had the Dinan then I just went to a shop and had the resonator deleted. The Dinan and the resonator delete sound so insanely good. Remus is also good. The Dinan tips are awesome.

It has a very aggressive growl to it now that the resonator is gone.

Edit: also drone isn't bad but it is there. I have a 6MT so my highway revs are about 3k and it's definitely noticeable but not bad enough to say I want the stock muffler back on.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Cyrca
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I had the Dinan then I just went to a shop and had the resonator deleted. The Dinan and the resonator delete sound so insanely good. Remus is also good. The Dinan tips are awesome.

Edit: also drone isn't bad but it is there. I have a 6MT so my highway revs are about 3k and it's definitely noticeable but not bad enough to say I want the stock muffler back on.
Stock cat? Or also catless
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Stock cat? Or also catless
Stock cats
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:16 PM   #10
Cyrca
Rep

Quote:
Stock cats
I fear with my catless DP + no valve it might be a bit annoying.. but for $600 I feel like I need to grab it
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #11
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Stock cats
I fear with my catless DP + no valve it might be a bit annoying.. but for $600 I feel like I need to grab it
You shouldn't be asking this question for $600! Run to get it! You won't be disappointed.
      04-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #12
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Stock cats
I'm sorry I missed that In your OP. Yeah so I'm pretty sure the Dinan axle back doesn't do any muffling. I took it off because the clamps rusted and it didn't make any sound difference at all. If it muffles the sound I'm telling you you can't even tell. So yeah with it catless it's going to be stupid loud.. which is exactly why I'm going catless soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:34 PM   #13
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stock cats
I'm sorry I missed that In your OP. Yeah so I'm pretty sure the Dinan axle back doesn't do any muffling. I took it off because the clamps rusted and it didn't make any sound difference at all. If it muffles the sound I'm telling you you can't even tell. So yeah with it catless it's going to be stupid loud.. which is exactly why I'm going catless soon.
I respectfully disagree with this. I have a stock DP and was somewhat disappointed with how quiet it is in higher RPM. The low RPM grunt is there, but sounds the same as stock up top.

Are you saying that with the catless DP, it just gets loud?
      04-29-2019, 09:36 PM   #14
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stock cats
I respectfully disagree with this. I have a stock DP and was somewhat disappointed with how quiet it is in higher RPM. The low RPM grunt is there, but sounds the same as stock up top.

I'm sorry I don't know what you're disagreeing with. Right now I have stock catted DP and all I was saying is that the Dinan axle back vs no muffler was about the same volume.

I think catless DPs would make it much louder wouldn't it? I've heard stock exhausts with catless DPs and it was a huge difference
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:47 PM   #15
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stock cats

I'm sorry I don't know what you're disagreeing with. Right now I have stock catted DP and all I was saying is that the Dinan axle back vs no muffler was about the same volume.

I think catless DPs would make it much louder wouldn't it? I've heard stock exhausts with catless DPs and it was a huge difference
You said the Dinan made no difference over stock, right? I think it made a difference.
      04-29-2019, 09:51 PM   #16
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stock cats

You said the Dinan made no difference over stock, right? I think it made a difference.
No my mistake. I meant that I had the Dinan axle back on and then I removed it when the clamps rusted and the sound level of the Dinan axle back vs a total muffler delete wasn't much difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #17
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stock cats

No my mistake. I meant that I had the Dinan axle back on and then I removed it when the clamps rusted and the sound level of the Dinan axle back vs a total muffler delete wasn't much difference.
Oh, that makes sense!