F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Consistent Drivetrain Malfunction Codes — 2016 BMW F30
proTUNING Freaks

06-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #1
pguelles
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Exclamation Consistent Drivetrain Malfunction Codes — 2016 BMW F30

Just looking for insight, I have a 2016 BMW 328i that has been throwing drivetrain malfunction codes. I’ve taken the car to be serviced twice now at our Tom Bush service dealership. The first visit they conducted a full diagnostic, they re-coded my fuel pump module, replaced my valve cover gasket, and replace replaced a charcoal canister lining. They examined both fuel pumps (hpfp and lpfp) and they’re allegedly still in great shape. They also tested/examined the engine and saw no issues. Sent me back home and the car ran fine for 5 days and the drive train came back. Second visit they conducted another diagnostic and it was reported that the fuel pump module wasn’t receiving proper current due to the battery. Paid for a new battery. It’s been about a month since that last service visit and the car has thrown out the drive train malfunction message 3x now within the past 2 days.

I’ve noticed that this message usually only comes up when I’m at a stop light and about to accelerate. Sometimes the car allows me to continue driving after showing me the message and sometimes the car switches to neutral or park when it gets the code. I typically pull over and restart the car 1-2x and the message disappears and the car runs fine. Today I was at a stop light and about to accelerate when the car had a hard forward jerk/stutter before throwing the DTM message. After stuttering it felt as though the car was going to completely stop in the middle of the intersection but it suddenly jolted forward with slight pressure on the accelerator.

Not sure what else to get looked at. The car has been inspected by two shops and they’ve both said diagnostics look clean and they can’t pinpoint what could be causing the car to go into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 04:39 PM   #2
PHXATC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 '20 430i '20 Explorer

Post this in the general forum and you'll get more responses...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 06:35 PM   #3
MIA-Francisco
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i Grand Coupe M-Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
How you doing Sir. I recently had the same issue and it turned out to be something as simple as the "ABS Wheel Speed Sensor." I guess it throws a Short-Circuit and causes the Error Code for the Drive-Train to Pop up. I drive a 2019 430i Gran Coupe M-Sport and Ever since I had it replaced I haven't been having any Further Problems. I hope this helps!

I would Recommend any Sensors that regulates the Speed and Driving Dynamics for the Vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Yep. Ditto on the wheel speed sensor. Cheap and easy fix. I also had a bad/failing ignition coil that caused a bunch of lights on the dash.
Appreciate 0