F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Passenger side rattle and I'm losing my mind FOUND & FIXED!!!
Studio RSR

11-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #45
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by manghong View Post
does anyone here have an idea of how to remove the inner fender cover?
It's held in place with some hex-headed screws - remove them after you remove the tire/wheel.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #46
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

4 trips to the dealer, they have not fixed the rattle. Last time I even told them it was probably the washer fluid reservoir and they claimed they could not reproduce the rattle.

So, I'm going in.

Once I have the inner fender off, where should I put the padding to quell the shake?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #47
ooglerdog
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328xi

Rattled fixed

I had the same issue, rattle that appeared to come from behind the glove box on the passenger side. I took apart much of the interior looking for the cause and then found this string of posts. It ended up being the windshield washer reservoir just like the other posts. It is pretty easy to access as follows:
1) Jack up the passenger side front.
2) Remove the right front wheel
3) Remove the three 10mm hex head nuts the hold the wheel well liner
4) Remove the hex head bolts at the top that secure the liner
5) Remove the three rubber retainers that hold the edge of the wheel liner to the fender.
6) Pull the liner back to expose the windshield washer reservoir.
Remove the 10mm bolt the secures the washer reservoir.
7) Disconnect the washer hose from the reservoir.
8) Open the hood and remove the washer reservoir fill cup; disconnect from the fill hose
10) Pull the reservoir out from inside the fender.
11) To fix I added some velcro to the bottom mount and the top tab on the washer reservoir. I believe the rattle was coming from the top tab.
12) Put everything back together and problem solved!
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #48
Hammer Werke
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328d Touring

Thanks for all the rattle research. I think I have the same thing on my f31. It is driving me crazy. It sounds like there is a ball bearing in the passenger door storage. It only happens when it is hot outside too. Which is most of the time here in LA. I have a service due in 800 or so miles so I'll see if they can sort it for me. But if I can't wait that long I may attempt this fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #49
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
I have one on my f30 around the seat belt retractor...but I can't pinpoint where
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #50
Hammer Werke
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328d Touring

Hi, I just wanted to add that I fixed my rattle with minimal effort. I think I did anyway, knock on wood.

Yesterday when leaving work I started the car and it was warming up I popped the hood and checked out the washer reservoir. There is that one screw on top and mine looked a little loose. I hand tightened it since I was at work. This made the whole top of the reservoir area feel much more secure obviously. Drove home in mostly silent bliss!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #51
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
I have one on my f30 around the seat belt retractor...but I can't pinpoint where
I have the same issue on my car. Sounds like a plastic rattle near the passenger B pillar. Every time the dealer looks at it they say its a broken clip and replace it but it seems to come back after a few weeks.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 08:23 AM   #52
Jam101jam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Gran Coup xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNOYAK21 View Post
My issue is on the driver side. The dealership in AK will remove the dash to find out whats wrong within. Hope they can figure it out. It really does drive you nuts!!
I know it's been awhile, curious if the dealer found your issue? I have the same issue at the driver side. The sound is coming from cluster and the front panel. But can't pin point from where. It's driving me nuts! Any help would be great
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #53
jeffwiinF36
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe F36

Have a weird rattle on my F36; rear driver side door. It annoys the heck out of me b/c it's right behind me. Had a friend pay attention to it driving one day and said it was around the door lock (where the door lock comes up and down), anyone else have/has had a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #54
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwiinF36 View Post
Have a weird rattle on my F36; rear driver side door. It annoys the heck out of me b/c it's right behind me. Had a friend pay attention to it driving one day and said it was around the door lock (where the door lock comes up and down), anyone else have/has had a similar issue?
When I first bought the F30, my rattle sounded like something in the front passenger door. Took it to the dealer, as it was still under factory warranty. The tech drove the car back and forth in the bay with me sitting right there. He said firmly, "Something in the air vent under the seat."

He vanished and reappeared with a long tool -- it looked like a screwdriver. He crawled in the back seat and probed. In two minutes he emerged and dropped something in my hand. "Here's your problem."

It was a lipstick.

I gave it to Miss Linda and have been driving the car for four months now without a problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #55
jeffwiinF36
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
Quote:
When I first bought the F30, my rattle sounded like something in the front passenger door. Took it to the dealer, as it was still under factory warranty. The tech drove the car back and forth in the bay with me sitting right there. He said firmly, "Something in the air vent under the seat."

He vanished and reappeared with a long tool -- it looked like a screwdriver. He crawled in the back seat and probed. In two minutes he emerged and dropped something in my hand. "Here's your problem."

It was a lipstick.

I gave it to Miss Linda and have been driving the car for four months now without a problem.
I've had the car for about 3 months now; got it CPO from the dealer and the rattle came in about one and half months into owning the car.

It sounds like the metal rod that holds the lock knob is rattling but only when I go over bumps, minor and major.

Since it's a CPO, would the dealer look into this w/o me having to pay? Still under manufacture warranty until 10/19.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #56
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Quote:
I've had the car for about 3 months now; got it CPO from the dealer and the rattle came in about one and half months into owning the car.

It sounds like the metal rod that holds the lock knob is rattling but only when I go over bumps, minor and major.

Since it's a CPO, would the dealer look into this w/o me having to pay? Still under manufacture warranty until 10/19.
CPO for BMWs, I think, does not cover rattles and squeaks. I examined the text, and they are excluded. But if you're still under factory warranty, then yes, that should be covered; I didn't have to pay for the rattle issue. Mine sounded like the door, but turned out to be a lot simpler. Good luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 03:21 AM   #57
manghong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

Thanks for the post, i got mine fixed too and here is a video of what it rattles like

04-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #58
wandmts97
Rep
Drives: BMX x3

Hi All - been having a rattle on my new x3 that the dealership hasn't been able to get to the bottom of. Been combing through the posts and looks like the windshield washer reservoir issue could potentially be it so bringing the car in next week and really hoping this is actually it. For those that have experienced before and the reservoir was the issue, does the below video sound like what you here? Wondering how much hope I should have!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnw6x4m770...attle.MOV?dl=0

As others have noted, I actually hear the noise on the inside front passanger side dash. Dealership has tried multiple things on inside of car, but hasn't addressed it and sounds like it could be the reservoir issue others have noted.

If others have experienced before and you have had it resolved, can you let me know what dealer did to fix? Thank you!

Last edited by wandmts97; 04-06-2022 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 09:46 AM   #59
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandmts97 View Post
Hi All - been having a rattle on my new x3 that the dealership hasn't been able to get to the bottom of. Been combing through the posts and looks like the windshield washer reservoir issue could potentially be it so bringing the car in next week and really hoping this is actually it. For those that have experienced before and the reservoir was the issue, does the below video sound like what you here? Wondering how much hope I should have!

As others have noted, I actually hear the noise on the inside front passanger side dash. Dealership has tried multiple things on inside of car, but hasn't addressed it and sounds like it could be the reservoir issue others have noted.

If others have experienced before and you have had it resolved, can you let me know what dealer did to fix? Thank you!
Link doesn't work.
      04-06-2022, 11:01 AM   #60
wandmts97
Rep
Drives: BMX x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Link doesn't work.
Oops, sorry about that snowghost

This link should hopefully work:

Appreciate 0