F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 M Performance Brake Pads
GetBMWParts

11-09-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
MYF30ROCKS
Life is short make it smart
Rep
Drives: F30 335IX M-Sport,HK,MPE,MPPK

F30 M Performance Brake Pads

I am planning to get front and rear brake pads replaced. Both front and rear are M Performance pistons. M performance pads squeak a lot.
What are the other options and where to buy.
03 M3 Black (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I am in the same situation and I plan to install Powerstop brake pads this weekend, reusing my rotors and sensors. Will update.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #3
Brett530
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F30 340i

My M-sport pads only have 4k miles on them, but I'm ready to replace them now. The squealing is driving me crazy. Looking for something quiet.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #4
MYF30ROCKS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
These are for regular rear brake pads or for M performance brakes? I need fronts too What’s the front part numbers, thank you
03 M3 Black (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

ECS tuning sells EBC red's which directly replace the m-performance brakes. If you have a 340, you need to use the product selector for the 335 m-sport (same brakes though).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #6
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I think you might need to just clean and lube your braking system. I have had the stock pads and StopTech sport, both aggressive pads. I haven't had any squeaking. I would clean and lube up the calipers, pins, springs, rather than just spend money swapping them out. Plenty of youtube videos on how to DIY it.

Last edited by zinner; 11-11-2018 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
dan of montana
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xDrive Wagon

I'll second cleaning/lubing stuff. I chased front and rear squeals but finally got it sorted. A couple of points:
1. Buy a tube of brake pad / caliper grease. There is enough stuff to take care of that you'll need more than a couple of packets.
2. I use a a wire wheel on an electric drill to clean the backs of the pads, the retention clips, and the pins.
3. Then lube 'em up, reassemble, and enjoy. Remember to lube the counterweights on the pads, the spec calls for it to be lubed where it may contact the caliper.

As for DUST I am days away from installing PowerStop CF ceramic pads. They are cheap, and I know some people successfully running them. There just aren't a lot of options out there for a low dusting pad for the M Sport / M Perf brakes.
PowerStop: $115 shipped for fronts/rears

As a side note, I have previous run Carbotech pads (the 1521 compound) and absolutely loved it. They can do pads for our cars, but it's about $290 up front and $250 for the rears.... yeah I'll try the PowerStop pads first and see what happens. Stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
Brett530
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I think you might need to just clean and lube your braking system. I have had the stock pads and StopTech sport, both aggressive pads. I haven't had any squeaking. I would clean and lube up the calipers, pins, springs, rather than just spend money swapping them out. Plenty of youtube videos on how to DIY it.
I slathered substantial amounts of Permatex Ceramic Lube on everything but the rotor and pad face and there was no change in the noise level.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #9
dan of montana
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett530 View Post
I slathered substantial amounts of Permatex Ceramic Lube on everything but the rotor and pad face and there was no change in the noise level.
Very strange. Can you tell what wheel it's coming from? Did you do a solid italian tune up (or is it reverse-italian when talking about brakes?) and run them through a bedding cycle?

All the same, I'm pulling my perfectly fine M-perf stock pads because they dust like no pad I have ever encountered. So I can't say I wouldn't dump the stock pads just for that reason.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan of montana View Post
I'll second cleaning/lubing stuff. I chased front and rear squeals but finally got it sorted. A couple of points:
1. Buy a tube of brake pad / caliper grease. There is enough stuff to take care of that you'll need more than a couple of packets.
2. I use a a wire wheel on an electric drill to clean the backs of the pads, the retention clips, and the pins.
3. Then lube 'em up, reassemble, and enjoy. Remember to lube the counterweights on the pads, the spec calls for it to be lubed where it may contact the caliper.

As for DUST I am days away from installing PowerStop CF ceramic pads. They are cheap, and I know some people successfully running them. There just aren't a lot of options out there for a low dusting pad for the M Sport / M Perf brakes.
PowerStop: $115 shipped for fronts/rears

As a side note, I have previous run Carbotech pads (the 1521 compound) and absolutely loved it. They can do pads for our cars, but it's about $290 up front and $250 for the rears.... yeah I'll try the PowerStop pads first and see what happens. Stay tuned!
I just got PowerStop from Amazon and it only cost ~$80 using Prime shipping.

Front: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LY...op_mb_pd_title

Back: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CF...op_mb_pd_title

The back was on sales for ~$30 but now increased a little.

I installed front pads two days ago and back pads yesterday.

After properly cleaning and lube all contact parts, for 3 days of driving not a single noise.

I decided not to change rotors (they are above minimum) and I reused sensors. Not doing the pads break-in process either.

Will see how long it will remain noise free.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Brett530
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan of montana View Post
Very strange. Can you tell what wheel it's coming from? Did you do a solid italian tune up (or is it reverse-italian when talking about brakes?) and run them through a bedding cycle?

All the same, I'm pulling my perfectly fine M-perf stock pads because they dust like no pad I have ever encountered. So I can't say I wouldn't dump the stock pads just for that reason.
I do need to try a re-bedding process, which I have not done. Numerous forum posters said bedding was just a temporary fix.

I am curious what tricks there are to figure out where the noise comes from. Stick my head out the window? Find a passenger to stick their head out?
I am planning to put a tie-clip mic near the wheel and record the sound with my phone and run 4 tests to see where it is coming from, but it strikes me as an overly complex process.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
dan of montana
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I do need to try a re-bedding process, which I have not done. Numerous forum posters said bedding was just a temporary fix.

I am curious what tricks there are to figure out where the noise comes from. Stick my head out the window? Find a passenger to stick their head out?
I am planning to put a tie-clip mic near the wheel and record the sound with my phone and run 4 tests to see where it is coming from, but it strikes me as an overly complex process.
Find a quiet parking garage, get somebody to bounce around the car sticking their head out of various windows to figure it out. This is assuming you hear it at low speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
dan of montana
Private First Class
Rep

But yeah, you are right. Re-bedding rarely is the fix.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Last time when I tried to figure out the noise of my wife's SUV, I asked my wife to stand at side of road, then drove by her and stepped on the brake. Repeated a few times and she was able to figure out it was the front brakes. : )
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #15
MYF30ROCKS
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdxway View Post

After properly cleaning and lube all contact parts, for 3 days of driving not a single noise.

I decided not to change rotors (they are above minimum) and I reused sensors. Not doing the pads break-in process either.

Thank you, are these exact replacement parts for for M performance yellow or red calipers?
03 M3 Black (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:50 PM   #16
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYF30ROCKS View Post
Thank you, are these exact replacement parts for for M performance yellow or red calipers?
I have yellow calipers. Fit just fine. 4 days so far and not a noise. Pretty happy. Will see if it lasts through winter....

BTW, it was not easy to punch out the pins in rear calipers. I managed to chipped the paint a little. : (
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:25 PM   #17
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

If they fit those calipers it will fit all of the Brembo 2piston that come on the f3x. They are all the literally the same caliper,with just varying lengths of the carrier to fit different rotors. They are even used as is on the F80 stock.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #18
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:
It's possible there is an issue with a brake component causing the vibration, I just mean to point out before you start spending money on parts you can probably fix it with some cleaning and lubrication.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #19
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
It's possible there is an issue with a brake component causing the vibration, I just mean to point out before you start spending money on parts you can probably fix it with some cleaning and lubrication.
I agree with your logic. My wife's SUV was squealing bad for 1.5 years after getting front brake work from a shop. They said they can't do anything about it. Just two weeks ago, I wanted to change the pads to Akebono, but decided to do cleaning and lubing first. By doing the cleaning and lubing and changing a crossed threads caliper's pin and bolt, the noise was 99% gone. No pad change needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #20
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

Quote:

Assuming these will fit the M-Sport blue calipers? Will try these as my brakes are ridiculously annoying, even after cleaning and re-lubricating. Will order and see how they hold up.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #21
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bs View Post
Assuming these will fit the M-Sport blue calipers? Will try these as my brakes are ridiculously annoying, even after cleaning and re-lubricating. Will order and see how they hold up.
I have read that as long as you have 4 pistons front and 2 piston rear, the pads should fit. However, the M Performance front rotors are 370mm. Not sure if yours is 340mm or 370mm. If 340mm, I don't know how well it fits. In another thread, I have seen another member with M Sport brake having issues where another brand of performance pads can't fully contact the rotors.

If your brake kit matches the one described at https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...m-sport-s2nha/, then I think the PowerStop pads would also fit yours. Interesting that the same web page said this:

"Light pedal applications and easy braking will make them noisy."

I think I got exactly the same type of pads before. No wonder so noisy!

Did you already lube all sides of pads, including the metal ears things, plus lube the retaining pins and retaining plates?

I am still very happy with my change. No noise for 5 days now.

Last edited by Pdxway; 11-14-2018 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #22
Brett530
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Did you already lube all sides of pads, including the metal ears things, plus lube the retaining pins and retaining plates?
If he lubes all sides of the pads, it will guarantee silent operation until the impact occurs.
Appreciate 0