F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dealer not honoring warranty?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #1
bmessi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Alpine White

Dealer not honoring warranty?

Hello! Just joined this community as I'm dealing with a total pain in the *** with my 2013 F30 328i (72,500 mi).

Brought in to Santa Monica BMW because of a check engine light that had just come on and a slight whirring noise coming from the engine. Told it was likely a faulty timing chain and that I also had a broken coolant thermostat.

Timing chain: A class action settlement says BMW will cover 75%, leaving me to cover 25% of the repair on what is just a manufacturing flaw and due to no fault of my own. But this isn't even my main issue.

The coolant thermostat: (quoted $900 repair for parts, labor, tax) on my N20 engine, as I understand it, is covered by an extended warranty issued by BMW in January 2018. I don't have the mailer because I moved just before that and hadn't updated my mailing address. However, this document from the NHTSA clearly states that my model year and model type are eligible for the extended warranty.

BMW has kept my car going on 5 days now with no resolution in sight. They have also refused to provide a loaner, leaving me stranded during the holidays. Has anybody dealt with something similar or have any advice?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Contact BMW NA and see what they can do.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

L-A-W-Y-E-R.
They'll take care of you but you have to get their attention first.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:56 PM   #4
bmessi
United_States
Rep

Latest update: got in touch with BMWNA via Twitter and they said "a member of their executive customer care team" is looking into the concerns and will get back to me tomorrow. Tried calling but the wait time was 55 minutes!

Can you believe this: the reason they can't give me a loaner is because they liquidated their loaner fleet to profit off the inflated used car market. Service manager told me this point blank and that they will not cover a rental.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:10 PM   #5
BMW BRAD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M, F31 328d M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmessi View Post
Latest update: got in touch with BMWNA via Twitter and they said "a member of their executive customer care team" is looking into the concerns and will get back to me tomorrow. Tried calling but the wait time was 55 minutes!

Can you believe this: the reason they can't give me a loaner is because they liquidated their loaner fleet to profit off the inflated used car market. Service manager told me this point blank and that they will not cover a rental.
Wow! That's total BS! I use Irvine BMW and they have plenty of loaners. The thing is, is that you have to schedule you servicing for when they have loaners available.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 07:34 PM   #6
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Is the thermostat warranty VIN-specific? SA's usually run your VIN across BMW's system and even the VIN-specific warranties will show up.
      01-05-2022, 12:06 AM   #7
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Hello! Just joined this community as I'm dealing with a total pain in the *** with my 2013 F30 328i (72,500 mi).

Brought in to Santa Monica BMW because of a check engine light that had just come on and a slight whirring noise coming from the engine. Told it was likely a faulty timing chain and that I also had a broken coolant thermostat.

Timing chain: A class action settlement says BMW will cover 75%, leaving me to cover 25% of the repair on what is just a manufacturing flaw and due to no fault of my own. But this isn't even my main issue.

The coolant thermostat: (quoted $900 repair for parts, labor, tax) on my N20 engine, as I understand it, is covered by an extended warranty issued by BMW in January 2018. I don't have the mailer because I moved just before that and hadn't updated my mailing address. However, this document from the NHTSA clearly states that my model year and model type are eligible for the extended warranty.

BMW has kept my car going on 5 days now with no resolution in sight. They have also refused to provide a loaner, leaving me stranded during the holidays. Has anybody dealt with something similar or have any advice?
N26 has the extended sulev warranty on thermostat (you have N20), the TC warranty ends after 7 years i believe, so on both you might be sol.

I hope i'm wrong and didnt remember it right!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 06:45 PM   #8
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
N26 has the extended sulev warranty on thermostat (you have N20), the TC warranty ends after 7 years i believe, so on both you might be sol.

I hope i'm wrong and didnt remember it right!
I have the same understanding too. Op is SOL. If bmwna won't cover, the dealer isn't going to provide (unless you're that customer which brings them a lot of business)
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 06:55 PM   #9
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Looks like its covered to me!

(more models covered than shown in my snapshot)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:11 PM   #10
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Damn @sspade lucky. Most bmws have already gone through 3 different hands by 10 years
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #11
bmessi
United_States
Rep

Hey all, updates!

Tried talking to the dealership's service manager, explaining that the NHTSA document clearly stated my vehicle is eligible. That conversation went nowhere, so my next step was to Tweet @ bmwna. They had someone call me from the "executive customer care" team.

This guy was super attentive and actually seemed like he wanted to help me find solutions, not just reasons why the repairs wouldn't be authorized to be covered by BMW.

By this point, the service manager had told me the timing chain had actually passed a diagnostic, meaning BMWNA wouldn't cover even the original 75% of that repair. Keep in mind, the shop foreman (who is a friend of a friend) after inspecting my timing chain, literally told me not to put another mile on the car before getting it fixed.

In talking to the executive customer care guy, I explained the coolant thermo extended warranty + NHTSA documentation as well as the fact that I needed help getting the timing chain replacement authorized. He told me the coolant thermo warranty seemed to apply, and he'd speak to the dealer about getting both of issues resolved. He also didn't make any promises, but said he'd try to get me authorized for a rental.

The next day, got a call from the service manager. "Hey, we spoke to BMWNA, good news, the coolant thermo is covered under the extended warranty and we were able to get the timing chain work authorized." The same guy who listened as I explained the extended warranty and class action and how I couldn't even drive the car, and just told me "no sorry" originally. They also offered me a rental, so I picked up a Corolla from enterprise yesterday (better than nothing as I was stranded carless before).

Disappointed with the whole experience with this service center and dealership. Sad that to get things done, you can't just speak facts to people–have to make them feel threatened to get them to do their jobs. Glad lawyers didn't have to get involved.

So coolant thermo completely covered. Timing chain guide rail was the part that needed replacing. Quoted $3000, so my 25% responsibility is $750. Definitely going to consider moving on from my F30 this year if this is the norm with getting routine warrantied repairs done. Thanks to those who commented here! Cheers
Appreciate 3
Fredo189.00
anotheran389.00
      01-06-2022, 10:56 AM   #12
bmessi
United_States
Rep

To respond to a couple of earlier comments:

sspade yes that's exactly the document I was referencing. The language is clear as day

capt_slow the service advisor and service manager both ran my VIN and reported the coolant thermostat extended warranty didn't come up. Despite me sending and highlighting the eligibility as outlined in the NHTSA document. After the acknowledged that it should be covered, they admitted that some extended warranty bulletins just don't make it onto every VIN for lookup.

Sounds fishy (illegal?) to me. If I wasn't as willing to spend time researching, I would've taken to my indy shop and paid out of pocket for the repair. But I'm sure the dealer was hoping I'd just pony up the $900.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #13
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Glad you got it sorted out. Sounds like you got an SA and SM that were out to do the bare minimum, with minimal critical thinking involved. Fortunately, SoCal is a large car market and there are plenty of other dealers to take your warranty business elsewhere. Personally, I take my car to Crevier for dealer work as they have the largest loaner fleet I've seen, but like almost all other dealers you need to reserve in advance.

Sounds like there was a screw up in DCSnet for the thermostat warranty, as dealers are required to run your VIN in order to be paid for warranty work from BMWNA. It's written in the SIB released to NHTSA. Either that or BMWNA authorized a goodwill repair and the dealer mis-characterized it as warranty work.
Quote:
To determination vehicle eligibility and that this coverage applies, always perform a VIN-specific DCSnet Warranty Inquiry first
For the TC, you are covered, but I think your dealer was just way too lazy to do any legwork to diagnose it other than scan it in ISTA.

After this ordeal, find a better dealer.
      01-06-2022, 12:22 PM   #14
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post

After this ordeal, find a better dealer.
+1, i used Crevier for a bunch of CPO warranty work, including some stuff i didnt think they would cover, and never had issues. This included going in with FBO+tune, granted my work was not powertrain related.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #15
bmessi
United_States
Rep

capt_slow thejeremyman9 I definitely will not be returning to SM BMW. Appreciate the suggestion of Crevier, that's a bit of a trek but in the event I have other big issues, I'll definitely consider.

Do you have a specific SA that you like there?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:22 PM   #16
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
capt_slow thejeremyman9 I definitely will not be returning to SM BMW. Appreciate the suggestion of Crevier, that's a bit of a trek but in the event I have other big issues, I'll definitely consider.

Do you have a specific SA that you like there?
I used John Deck back in 2018-2019 and he was knowledgeable about common issues and got everything i requested covered. I'm out of warranty so havent been there since
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #17
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Loans aren't a mandatory service. It's something the dealer MAY do to be nice. My Audi dealer "forgot" that warranty work I took it in for was covered. They quickly "fixed" their error on the bill when I declined to pay.

My guess is that dealer is hurting, and if you are willing to pay (even though it should have been covered), they would just let it be.

I'd be looking for another dealer as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 09:32 AM   #18
eddymerckx3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive sport line

Quote:
Timing chain guide rail was the part that needed replacing. Quoted $3000, so my 25% responsibility is $750.

Glad this all worked out for you. Just curious, does the $3000 quote include both timing chain module and oil pump chain modules (per the TSB)? Seems rather low $ as I think I remember some getting quotes in the $5-6K range...perhaps I mis-remembered? Would u mind please sharing service docs after work is completed? Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:46 AM   #19
bmessi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddymerckx3 View Post
Glad this all worked out for you. Just curious, does the $3000 quote include both timing chain module and oil pump chain modules (per the TSB)? Seems rather low $ as I think I remember some getting quotes in the $5-6K range...perhaps I mis-remembered? Would u mind please sharing service docs after work is completed? Good luck!

As I understand, the $3000 quote just includes the timing chain guide. The issue was caught early and the other components are apparently in good shape. I'll definitely share the service docs when I have them.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:53 AM   #20
bmessi
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Loans aren't a mandatory service. It's something the dealer MAY do to be nice. My Audi dealer "forgot" that warranty work I took it in for was covered. They quickly "fixed" their error on the bill when I declined to pay.

My guess is that dealer is hurting, and if you are willing to pay (even though it should have been covered), they would just let it be.

I'd be looking for another dealer as well.

Yep, and I get that I'm not entitled to a loaner. It was just weird to hear how dismissive they were and then to find that the reason is they liquidated their fleet. Seems to me that they are hurting financially as well. But if my work is manufacturer covered, don't they still get paid? If that is the case, that doesn't explain why they wouldn't even consider the facts and documentation that was right in front of them...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 01:48 PM   #21
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
As I understand, the $3000 quote just includes the timing chain guide. The issue was caught early and the other components are apparently in good shape.
Get the chain and tensioner replaced, even if you have to pay for them. 90% of the cost of the job is labor, and they can't change the guides without removing the chain and tensioner, so to not replace them is beyond stupid.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 07:24 PM   #22
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Get the chain and tensioner replaced, even if you have to pay for them. 90% of the cost of the job is labor, and they can't change the guides without removing the chain and tensioner, so to not replace them is beyond stupid.
Completely agree with this if you are planning to keep the car long-term. If the chain and tensioner need to be touched, then there should be zero additional labor and all you are on the hook for is the cost of extra parts. By that logic, OP can also ask for new spark plugs and coils. The possibilities are endless

Quote:
But if my work is manufacturer covered, don't they still get paid? If that is the case, that doesn't explain why they wouldn't even consider the facts and documentation that was right in front of them...
Warranty work and parts pay less, so their profit margins wont be as nice.

Last edited by capt_slow; 01-07-2022 at 07:42 PM..
Appreciate 0